What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mortar or grout??  (Read 2817 times)

dunerunner25

Mortar or grout??
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:36:53 pm »
I am installing a flagstone path and was wondering if I should use Mortar or grout to fill in the gaps?  Gaps range from 1 to 3 inches in diameter. Whats the difference?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:37:48 pm by dunerunner25 »

Hot Tub Forum

Mortar or grout??
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:36:53 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Mortar or grout??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:43:48 pm »
Sounds like a good opportunity for "WHY NOT" to share his expertise.

Brewman

Pathfinder

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 04:21:28 pm »
I know there is a newer product on the market that should be able to get from a landscape shop   it s a sand based material that hardens but still is flexible enough to not crack with ground movement.  As soon as I find my book Ill post the name

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:52:20 pm »
I am installing a flagstone path and was wondering if I should use Mortar or grout to fill in the gaps?  Gaps range from 1 to 3 inches in diameter. Whats the difference?
You can either use a mixture of Portland cement and sand or the same crushed limestone you used for the base under the flagstone.
One of the cons of using the limestone stone base for the joints is that during a heavy rain it will have a tendancy to get washed out a little.
If some of your joints are up to 3'' wide, it might be best to use the cement/sand mixture. Although it takes a little more time and money it's probably the way to go. I've read and heard that you're suppose to wait up to a full year after setting the limestone to fill the gaps with this mixture to allow the lime stone base to settle, to prevent dips in the flagstone and cracking of the joints. You would  probably be alright if you just wet the final layer of limestone base  for a couple of hours with water and then re-tamp the with a vibrating plate compactor. Be careful not to over water though. Let the water soak through so it doesn't start puddling and cause wash outs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:57:57 pm by WHY_NOT »

dunerunner25

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:12:42 am »
Thanks for the info. I will  try sand/cement mixture. I hope things are well. I still owe you guys some pics.  I have been working on turning my backyard into a japanese garden.  Let me know if you have any other good ideas. :) Thankyou!!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:20:30 am by dunerunner25 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:12:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42