What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thermospas  (Read 16076 times)

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
Thermospas
« on: May 03, 2007, 10:33:58 pm »
In the market for a hot tub this summer.  Anyone here familiar with Thermospas?  Infomercial and brochure make it sound like a well designed tub, but I don't see many user reviews on the net about them.  Anyone look at them or own one?  Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

Thermospas
« on: May 03, 2007, 10:33:58 pm »

D.P. Roberts

Re: Thermospas
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:11:52 pm »
I haven't found any reviews here, but you might find some at www.rhtubs.com.

I can't possibly speak for everyone here, but the consensus I've heard about thermospas is that their sales tactics leave a lot to be desired. You have to sit through a long presentation before you get to a price, which is only good right there and then (always a bad sign). It also just so happens that they have the spa you're looking for, and there's just one left at a special price (also a bad sign). I think they will come to your house and do a presentation for free, so it couldn't hurt- just go into it with your eyes open.

Also, one of the main objections to Thermospas is that you usually can't wet test them. A wet test is vital.

I can't speak for their manufacturing or engineering, but in general I think most people don't think highly of them from a quality standpoint.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:17:52 pm »
Avoid ThermoSpas like the PLAGUE!  They are SIGNIFICANTLY overpriced (even after the "you have to sign NOW to get this price" sales tactics.  The REASON they pressure you to sign during the first visit is because often people have not yet compared and don't realize what the other options are out there or what the other tubs sell for (usually THOUSANDS less than ThermoSpa for the same size).  
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:09:39 am »
In the market for a hot tub this summer.  Anyone here familiar with Thermospas?  Infomercial and brochure make it sound like a well designed tub, but I don't see many user reviews on the net about them.  Anyone look at them or own one?  Thanks in advance!

Too bad their spas aren't half as good as their infomercials and brochures!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:57:04 am »
On my TV, I see the same commercial,  "Reason #11 to own a Thermospa"    I have yet to see reasons 1-10.  Remember Henry Block and his 30 reasons to get your taxes done at H&R Block. I slapped that out of him. Maybe I should do the same for the CEO of Thermo.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:13:02 am »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:00 am »
Thanks for the quick replies!  Guess if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.  Really liked their Park Avenue spa with a double wide lounge.  Any other spas have such a feature?  Any recommendations on a 5-person spa with lounge?

Hope to go looking this weekend for something locally.  Thanks again!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:57:32 am »
Thanks for the quick replies!  Guess if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.  Really liked their Park Avenue spa with a double wide lounge.  Any other spas have such a feature?  Any recommendations on a 5-person spa with lounge?

Hope to go looking this weekend for something locally.  Thanks again!

Off the top of my head, I think Dimension 1 has a lounger like that. (Its been 4 years since I shopped)

Where do you live?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 09:58:05 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:56 am »
Hey Dax,

Yea, the Tspas on TV get folks attention for folks not familliar with spas, but if you do a little research, you'll find there's a lot of high quality spas out there  by some very reputable companies.  I gurentee you'll be able to find a better spa than Thermospa at a better price.  :)

Thermal spas have a rep for a lot of overpriced gimmicky spas filled with tons of tiny little jets. Too many of these can be uncormfortable, and you want a variety of jets in the tub.  

Don't buy on jet count and/or HP of the motors alone.  Buy on the massage expereince and how the jets feel to you and fit your body.  

1) look around and shop the major dealers in your area.   Wet test and compare across brands so you can get a sense of what  fits you best and the different jetting.

2) Despite the sexy Thermalspa ads, TVs and all the stuff really are just qimicks. (pop up TV's Ice buckets outrageous jet counts). Some folks really want an in spa steroe, and you'll pay big $$ to get one, but many folks focus on the quality of the spa, it's jets and seating layout and energy efficecy. Don't let the bells and whistles distract you. All the major spa companies will have them, but hoenstly most folks pass on them.

3) Research the dealer, and once again Wet test. Wet Test and Wet test.

4) Look for a spa that has a vairety of seats and jets.  The double lounger in the thermal Spa? eh.  Gimmick.  Most folks don't even want a lounger.   ;)  Wet test a few for youself and see if you like it. Some folks float out of them, some folks don't want to waste the space in the spa, and some folks do like them.  Wet test (not dry test,) for yourself and find out what you like.

Some of the more popular names to look at would be: Hot Springs, Caldera. Sundance, Jaqucizzi, Artic, Dimension One.

Stay away from internet dealers, Ebay, and cheap spas from The big box stores.   :)

Have fun too.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:10:13 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

1-spare-tire

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:11:46 am »
I have a Thermospa Park Avenue.  we had it delivered almost exactly one year ago.  We love it.  I will say though that their tubs are overpriced.  You can however get them down dramatically in price though.  If you decide to purchase one, DO NOT accept any price the day they come to your home.  Definately, look around to see what other companies sell before you buy any tub If you are interested in their tub the day they come out, make them an offer of 50% to 60% of their price that is "only good for that day".  When they say no, shake hands and leave it at that.  A sales manager or someone will call you within a few days and make an offer back of about 75% of their original sale price.  Stick to your guns, DO NOT accept this offer either.  I know it sounds inconcieveable but you should be able to get them down 65%-75% of their original price.  I see the only problem with Thermospas is that they have high pressure sales tactics and they are overpriced, but if you like their tubs, you can get them down on price to be competitive with other high quality tubs.  IMHO

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:26:33 am »
I have a Thermospa Park Avenue.  we had it delivered almost exactly one year ago.  We love it.  I will say though that their tubs are overpriced.  You can however get them down dramatically in price though.  If you decide to purchase one, DO NOT accept any price the day they come to your home.  Definately, look around to see what other companies sell before you buy any tub If you are interested in their tub the day they come out, make them an offer of 50% to 60% of their price that is "only good for that day".  When they say no, shake hands and leave it at that.  A sales manager or someone will call you within a few days and make an offer back of about 75% of their original sale price.  Stick to your guns, DO NOT accept this offer either.  I know it sounds inconcieveable but you should be able to get them down 65%-75% of their original price.  I see the only problem with Thermospas is that they have high pressure sales tactics and they are overpriced, but if you like their tubs, you can get them down on price to be competitive with other high quality tubs.  IMHO

I would LOVE to deal with a company that is trying to sell me a product for 75% more than they need to! It gives me a real warm and gushy feeling to be treated that way!  ::) Yepper... gives me great confidence in the product and the overall company and the level of support I could come to expect! GREAT CHOICE!

Thermospas exist because some people just don't care about how they are treated even when it comes to big ticket, luxury items!!

It's called ETHICS and most of us choose to deal with a company that embraces that concept...

Steve

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:33:47 am »
I f need service with Thermal spas, should I refuse the first offer and wait for them to call back with a better time and lower service fee?  ::)

"Ok, I know we told you we can't be there until next Friday, and it will be $75 for the service call, but  I just spoke to my division manager, and he says' a lady in Sandusky just cancelled, so we can be there tomorrow, and if agree  right now to   take this call tomorrow, and tomorrow only, it will be $35, and will toss in a new filter!

;D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:36:31 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

1-spare-tire

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 10:42:04 am »

I would LOVE to deal with a company that is trying to sell me a product for 75% more than they need to! It gives me a real warm and gushy feeling to be treated that way!  ::) Yepper... gives me great confidence in the product and the overall company and the level of support I could come to expect! GREAT CHOICE!

Thermospas exist because some people just don't care about how they are treated even when it comes to big ticket, luxury items!!

It's called ETHICS and most of us choose to deal with a company that embraces that concept...

Steve

I figured that since the original question was related to experiences with Thermospas and their tubs in general, that I would post my experience and what I think of my tub and their company.  I say that any company  (whether it sells Hot tubs, cars, boats, houses, land or whatever the case maybe) that puts a higher price on their product knowing that you are going to try to get them down on price is in reality "overpricing" their product.  I will bet that you didn't pay asking price for your tub, thinking that the price they gave to was a good price.  I bet you wanted to counter offer them and get them down to their bottom dollar.  Who cares what the starting price is if you can get them down to what you are willing to pay.  

1-spare-tire

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 10:49:07 am »
I f need service with Thermal spas, should I refuse the first offer and wait for them to call back with a better time and lower service fee?  ::)

"Ok, I know we told you we can't be there until next Friday, and it will be $75 for the service call, but  I just spoke to my division manager, and he says' a lady in Sandusky just cancelled, so we can be there tomorrow, and if agree  right now to   take this call tomorrow, and tomorrow only, it will be $35, and will toss in a new filter!

;D

Drew, I know that I am rather new here.  I read alot of your posts, and appreciate your advise on SPA care and other issues.  but negotiating a price for buying anything doesn't mean negotiating price for service.  I know you are not serious with the comment but so many things in life we be, we negotiate on price for and then down the road things need service.  I personally treat service differently than the original purchase.  Not to mention it will be a while before I have to pay for any service since I bought the Thermospa with the 10 year full warranty and 20 year shell warranty.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 10:57:59 am »

I figured that since the original question was related to experiences with Thermospas and their tubs in general, that I would post my experience and what I think of my tub and their company.  I say that any company  (whether it sells Hot tubs, cars, boats, houses, land or whatever the case maybe) that puts a higher price on their product knowing that you are going to try to get them down on price is in reality "overpricing" their product.  I will bet that you didn't pay asking price for your tub, thinking that the price they gave to was a good price.  I bet you wanted to counter offer them and get them down to their bottom dollar.  Who cares what the starting price is if you can get them down to what you are willing to pay.  

I will gladly share my personal experience of over a decade in spa sales with you.

As consumers, we have come to expect some room for negotiation on "some" items that we purchase. Agreed. When selling Beachcomber, our prices were our prices and we added value through factory promotions which we purchased for less and passed these savings on to the consumer. If someone thought our prices were high, we either didn't do a good job of showing the value of our spas or they haven't researched spas enough to make that decision.

Some companies tend to increase their suggested retail to make room for some negotiation but to attempt to defend a company that increases that suggested retail by up to 75% (your words not mine) is FREAKING OBSURD & ILLOGICAL!! If you feel good with that, have at 'er buddy boy. Most educated consumers have a breaking point where they feel that the company may be attempting to rip them off and in most instances, that's long before the 65 - 75% mark!

WHO CARES what the starting price is? Most all of us...

Don't get me wrong...I'm glad you enjoy your spa and I hope you do for many years but to suggest that this is an ethical way to conduct business is ludicrous.

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 10:57:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42