What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Initial Quality of my Niagara.....  (Read 6948 times)

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
Initial Quality of my Niagara.....
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:32:56 am »
Here is an update on my Niagra...

Love the tub, I would say that initail quality has been less then "great"

I have had 3-4 service calls in the past 6 months.  Mostly for little stuff.

Last thing was the back control panel had intermitent issues with working and not working.

Service has nbeen very accomodating, but it's a pain.

Is this the norm?

Hot Tub Forum

Initial Quality of my Niagara.....
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:32:56 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Initial Quality of my Niagara.....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:04:56 am »
Here is an update on my Niagra...

Love the tub, I would say that initail quality has been less then "great"

I have had 3-4 service calls in the past 6 months.  Mostly for little stuff.

Last thing was the back control panel had intermitent issues with working and not working.

Service has nbeen very accomodating, but it's a pain.

Is this the norm?

Although these repairs have been somewhat of a pain, having the service to back up that purchase can make it a whole lot easier to take. Consider the fact that it could be major issues with lack of service and your feelings then...

3-4 minor repairs in 6 months is high but these are imperfect, man made products. It's conceivable that you may not require another for many years now that the "bugs" are ironed out.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:44:51 am »
3-4 minor repairs in 6 months is high but these are imperfect, man made products.
Well, EVERY product we buy is man-made... but are there other products we buy that require 3-4 repairs in six months?  Not in my world!  :o  I would say that rate is unacceptable, but that's just me....
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:34 am »
Well, EVERY product we buy is man-made... but are there other products we buy that require 3-4 repairs in six months?  Not in my world!  :o  I would say that rate is unacceptable, but that's just me....

I agree, 3-4 is obviously high but on the other hand, this is a sample of one. Another person may have the same spa and have no issues during the warranty period and say "buy this brand, the quality is the best". Is one right and the other wrong? You have to look at the overall picture from many customers but that is no solice to this individual. On the other side, I've also seen products that many consider less than great overall but a single customer can say "no, it's a great product, mine has had no issues".

Are these major or minor issues and are they related to the long term quality of the spa? We'd need more specifics. With electronics especially, there can be somewhat of a break in period so hopefully the kinks are out and things will be clear from here.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 11:46:44 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:09:16 am »
I would agree that 3-4 repairs in six months is high, but is "unacceptable" a bit harsh?  If unacceptable, what is your recourse?  What is acceptable?  0,  1, 2 or 3 repairs in six months, a year, 2 years, 5?

Frankly, as a dealer, I wish repairs were closer to 1 every 5 years but that is not reality.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 11:43:22 am »
Gee, and I thought some stuff was machine made with computers and fancy machine arms 'n stuff... :D

So what would YOU do pigrider? Ask for your money back or a brand new spa in exchange? These were described as minor repairs and by the sounds of it, the dealer is looking after him. Good on the dealer! :)

We bought a top of the line ceramic stove in Dec '05. It has required 4 service calls and 2 were not under warranty. One of which cost me $350 for a new control board...
But then again...that's in MY world.... Sh*t happens!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 11:45:16 am »
I just pulled the trigger on my new Geneva this morning.  I hope Pete's experciences are an aberation.

07 Caldera Geneva

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »
The reality anything can have service calls, Its been my experience that while we have very few calls when we do have a problems it seems to be around a very small collection of the same customers, I would not think this is to uncommon but it does seem to run that way.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:31 pm »
So what would YOU do pigrider?

I think the poster's name is pg_rider, not pigrider.
(an unintentional error, I'm sure) :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 12:30:15 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:34:35 pm »

I think the poster's name is pg_rider, not pigrider.
(an unintentional error, I'm sure) :)

Sorry...slight typo!  ;D

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:07:11 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on my new Geneva this morning.  I hope Pete's experciences are an aberation.

Drew, what do you mean that you pulled the trigger. I thought it was a freebie?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:37:23 pm »
Maybe he decided on a delivery date?  :-?

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 12:06:06 am »
Or maybe it's part of a Hot Spring "buy one, get one free" promo?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 09:26:42 am »

Drew, what do you mean that you pulled the trigger. I thought it was a freebie?

I ordered the tub.  I had to corordinate the removal of the old tub with my sister (who had decking and electrical to get done first,)  and then schedule the removal and delivery of the tiger river to them, (From Ma to CT) order the Geneva (possible 5 week lead time: 4 weeks in manufac, and 1 week at the dealer) arrange to make some minor changes to my pavers and account for the oh so dependable New England Sprng weather.  I wanted to mimilize the time I had without a tub, but did not want to have  two tubs sitting in my yard, or no time to get my pavers done.

it's all a very complicated plan.  ::)  ;).

By pulling the trigger I ment to say. I 've started my plans in motion and told Watkins to make the tub and ship it asap.  I'm committed. We've been dreaming of the tub since January, and now we may finally take delivery in 3-5 weeks.      :D

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:30:16 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 01:35:49 pm »
The issues I had were all minor.
A screw holder that you screw the cabinet to came out with the screw
the hand jet did not work
another jet conked out
the 2nd control board had to be replaced
The original filter came apart

little stuff...thank goodness for great service.  I posted to see if others with Calderas had seen a similar initial quality issue.  That would be helpful to other users and Caldera...who I suppose would be watching this site.  I know Artic guys are....On one post, I mentioned I thought the Artic was uncomfortable...there national sales guy left me an email.  I was impressed....but the tub didn't change so I didn't buy it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 01:35:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42