What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Leveling  (Read 8983 times)

TubGuy 21

Spa Leveling
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:19:36 pm »
I started a post awhile back regarding leveling my D1 Chairman II.  The dealer leveled the tub and I have it in writing that they are responsible for the installation and would stand behind it.  My issue now is that I do have a gap under the tub that could attract some insects or other critters that I would not want under there.  Its less than 2 in, but that could attract snakes, rats, ect.  I would like to put something around the bottom of the spa to close the gap, but I wanted to get some ideas as to what type of material to use that would work best.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Leveling
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:19:36 pm »

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
Re: Spa Leveling
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:28:51 pm »
Was the Tub Shimmed?
When I got my tub I had a level issue.  I read and was told, not to let the dealer shim the tub.  It would flex the tub and would void a warranty.  I had my contractor back out and he chipped away....and leveled the pad.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:50:55 pm »
I can't think of a reason NOT to let the dealer do it as they are responsible for doing correctly. It would be much harder to claim a warranty issue due to improper shimming if the consumer did instead of the dealer IMO. Like anything, there's a right way and wrong way to shim a spa. The shim should support the entire spa from the middle out and not just a shim at one corner.

Anyway, you could try a paintable spray foam to seal it up. We're only talking about an inch or 2 so it shouldn't be an eyesore.

Steve

Late Innings

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:01:45 pm »
A rodent will eat or scratch its way through just about any material you plug the hole with if it senses warmth on the other side. While I know you probably want something more durable for plugging the hole, the only material rodents will definitely leave alone is Steel Wool.   I'd say, plug the hole with Steel Wool, then foam and paint. If you get a rodent you'll see the scratches in the painted foam but once they get to the Steel Wool, they'll go look for another place for shelter.

TubGuy 21

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:37:02 am »
Its not just 1 spot with an inch ot two that I want to cover....its bascially 3 sides of the tub along the bottom....I would like to cover the gaps along with the wood that was used to level the tub.  I was thinking of some type of paintable trim.  Either a pt treated wood or even some other weatherproof material.  I would basically just cut it at the angle the tub is leveled and attach it to the base along the 3 sides.  Any suggestions on the best material to use? Has anyone seen or done this?

loosenupspas

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:58:52 am »
some other spa dealers have told me that dense foam works well to level under a spa.  Have a piece fabricated to fit the area under the spa.  it has to be sealed and such too.  i can provide more info if you would liked......just email me.....

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:23:36 am »
one question......what did they use to level your hot tub?  What would happen if you moved it?  Would you have to pay to have it releveled?  just a few questions....thank you

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:59:16 pm »
Its not just 1 spot with an inch ot two that I want to cover....its bascially 3 sides of the tub along the bottom....I would like to cover the gaps along with the wood that was used to level the tub.  I was thinking of some type of paintable trim.  Either a pt treated wood or even some other weatherproof material.  I would basically just cut it at the angle the tub is leveled and attach it to the base along the 3 sides.  Any suggestions on the best material to use? Has anyone seen or done this?

That does not sound like a proper install, I would call D-1 and see what they have to say. Having 3 sides up 2" does not sound good, especially with a shell that is not fiberglassed.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

That does not sound like a proper install, I would call D-1 and see what they have to say. Having 3 sides up 2" does not sound good, especially with a shell that is not fiberglassed.

If they shimmed properly, it wouldn't matter that there is a gap.  The gap is crated by the slope and the shims.  The spa shell does not support the weight.

Why do you think fiberglass would help?  It all depends on what supports the weight.  If shimmed properly now worries, fiberglass or thermalplastic.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

TubGuy 21

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 03:20:20 pm »

I am checking with D1 directly to ask them about the installation to make sure it is safe.  Will let you know what they say.....

TubGuy 21

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 03:50:30 pm »

If they shimmed properly, it wouldn't matter that there is a gap.  The gap is crated by the slope and the shims.  The spa shell does not support the weight.

Why do you think fiberglass would help?  It all depends on what supports the weight.  If shimmed properly now worries, fiberglass or thermalplastic.
Dan,

Do you know the proper way it should be shimmed?  I just spoke to D1 and they said it does not sound like my tub is supported correctly....I just sent the dealer an email so I have everything in writing.  I want to make sure it is done correclty...... FYI- I have a 2x4 lenghtwise along one side and some plywood pieces wedged under the middle area of tub. The install guy said it would be fine since it is supported near the footwell, but obviously acoording to D1, its not safe right now. They even said they would want pictures of the installation from the dealer to make sure it was done correclty.

TubGuy 21

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 04:57:10 pm »
Just spoke to the dealer again...he said he would speak with the factory and his install guy make sure they follow factory guidlines to support the spa....I am waiting to hear back from him to see what the plan is.  The owner is a good guy and I a confident he will take care of the issue correctly.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 04:57:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42