What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: tub installation question  (Read 2683 times)

eightisenough

tub installation question
« on: April 28, 2007, 09:24:22 pm »
             My contractor suggests that I set my hot tub that I am about to buy into the ground, mostly for apperance.  Is this a good idea?  Will it make it much harder in case it needs service?  Seems as though it will look very nice that way.

Hot Tub Forum

tub installation question
« on: April 28, 2007, 09:24:22 pm »

D.P. Roberts

Re: tub installation question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:33:52 pm »
Do you mean into a deck or other above-ground surface, or actually into the ground? Setting it into the ground is a lot more complicated, as you must make sure that you have a way to drain rainwater out of the hole you put the spa into. There may be building codes for just such an arrangement.

As for setting it into a deck of some kind - that is a common arrangement. It helps to have access to the control side of the tub for maintenance.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

eightisenough

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:51:53 pm »
He plans to set it into the ground; we'll get any permits, but it is the maintenance issue I'm thinking about.  

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 10:16:03 pm »
I've seen this done where the hole for the tub is approx. 2 feet wider than the tub itself. Then, wooden decking is installed between the edge of the hole and the tub itself. If the decking is removeable, then you can access the spa for maintenance.

I know a lot of people have considered this idea but dismissed it due to the drainage issue. It's not just a matter of permits, it's having to install an active draining system. You will usually need to install something like a sump pump in the bottom of the hole. If that pump fails, or loses power during a rain storm, you could be in for a lot of problems.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 11:50:45 pm »
He plans to set it into the ground; we'll get any permits, but it is the maintenance issue I'm thinking about.  

I went through this with someone today.

1) You must leave clearance to get to the equipment compartment. Each spa brand can vary somewhat on this so your final plans will need to account for the spa you choose.

2) I would highly recommend you partially sink the spa rather than fully or at least consider it. There are two advantages to the partial method, a) if you leave about 12 to 18" exposed it makes it MUCH easier to enter/exit since the surface outside the spa will be about even with the spa seat you'll be entering at, b) it allows use of a cover lifter (depending on the model) which I think is a major addition.

In the end it's up to you but think about it and talk about it at your dealer where they can further explain and maybe even show you pictures of the various setups they have seen.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 11:51:24 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 12:08:11 am »

2) I would highly recommend you partially sink the spa rather than fully or at least consider it. There are two advantages to the partial method, a) if you leave about 12 to 18" exposed it makes it MUCH easier to enter/exit since the surface outside the spa will be about even with the spa seat you'll be entering at, b) it allows use of a cover lifter (depending on the model) which I think is a major addition.

That's exactly what we did- we tried to have the seats at the same level as the deck. It worked out really well.

eightisenough

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 08:12:30 am »
Thank you, I think the plan is to partially sink it, I also guess that to drain all the water, advance planning is required.    

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:37:15 pm »
eightisenough,

We sunk our spa about 16" into the ground, just trying to keep it from dominating the view from a little seating area next to it.

I left about 2 feet in front for access to the service panel.

Put a french drain system with 4" flex pipe around the perimeter of the concrete pad. The area is above grade so I could rely on gravity to just drain out through a small retaining wall about 10' from the tub.

When I refill I just let the tub empty into the drain.

I posted some pics a while ago, if I can track down that post I'll reply with the link.

Steve

Steve

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 09:53:00 pm »
eightisenough.....

I too think in-grounds look alot better but they are not
the norm and definitely are not for everybody.

Like the experts say they are more problematic to service
and you must have proper planning on how you will keep
water from accumulating down in the pad area underneath
the tub.

Here is my brother's tub in Colorado and it is more or less an
in-ground....but he placed his on the edge of an incline so the
water drains out from the concrete pit the tub sits in. I think he
also has some kind of sump pump that only comes on if water
accumulates down underneath the tub on the concrete pad.

Notice removeable decking to allow for service:

btw...he added the pool step...it's removable
and very helpful getting in-out of an inground
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:56:58 pm by Zep »

eightisenough

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 09:23:13 am »
Thanks, that tiub  looks great, I'll pass along the advice.  Now, I just need to pick one out.    Loved the Marquis Epic, but the dealer wanted about 12k, and I've seen others say they had quotes of a lot less.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 04:08:14 pm »
eightisenough....

You may want to check out the link
below for ideas for placement of your
in-ground or semi-in-ground tub.

This site has lots of great pics.

Click link and scroll down to bottom:
http://www.poolandspa.com/page31.htm

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 04:13:45 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 04:08:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42