What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Hook up and other questions  (Read 7132 times)

aguamarina4u

Spa Hook up and other questions
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:55:35 pm »
Hi Board,

We are anticipating the delivery of our Hot Spring Envoy SPA and planning the electrical work.

The owners manual states that the waterproof conduit connects to the IQ 2020 control panel using a 3/4" liquid tight flex conduit fittings.  The cable run (through water tight plastic conduit) between the GFCI 30/20A breaker box and the IQ 2020 requires four #10 AWG wires and two #12 AWG cables, the local code states that the conduit cannot be filled by more than 40%.

So my questions are:

1)  Would these 6 wires occupy < 40% of a 3/4" conduit? (I was planning to use 1" conduit but am concerned that I will have a problem connecting it to the SPA)

2) What size conduit have other Hot Spring owners used?

3)  is there some kind of waterproof reducer I can use to get down to the 3/4" size that the control box calls for or will a 1" conduit also fit the IQ 2020 controller?

4) We plan to use THHN cable in the watertight conduit, I read that multi strand is best for this application because its compressible when you tighten down the screws, is this good information?

5) We plan to use 6/3 Romax cable for the run from the main breaker box to the GFCI 30/20A breaker box, does anyone know what gauge the solid earth wire is on this type of cable? (the Hot Spring spec calls for #10 AWG).

Many thanks in advance...appreciate any reply :-)

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Hook up and other questions
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:55:35 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Spa Hook up and other questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:27:15 pm »
We are anticipating the delivery of our Hot Spring Envoy SPA and planning the electrical work.

The owners manual states that the waterproof conduit connects to the IQ 2020 control panel using a 3/4" liquid tight flex conduit fittings.  The cable run (through water tight plastic conduit) between the GFCI 30/20A breaker box and the IQ 2020 requires four #10 AWG wires and two #12 AWG cables, the local code states that the conduit cannot be filled by more than 40%.

So my questions are:

1)  Would these 6 wires occupy < 40% of a 3/4" conduit? (I was planning to use 1" conduit but am concerned that I will have a problem connecting it to the SPA)

I don't know offhand, but I suspect with 10 gauge you'd be okay with the 3/4" conduit.  Conduit fill calculations are rather complicated.

2) What size conduit have other Hot Spring owners used?

Can't answer that, but 3/4" is the standard for spa connections, and I'd be surprised if HS required larger.  Perhaps an existing HS owner with the same wiring can confirm.

3)  is there some kind of waterproof reducer I can use to get down to the 3/4" size that the control box calls for or will a 1" conduit also fit the IQ 2020 controller?

There should be some type of reducer available should you need it.  Can't answer if the control box on the spa can accomodate a 1" fitting.  

4) We plan to use THHN cable in the watertight conduit, I read that multi strand is best for this application because its compressible when you tighten down the screws, is this good information?

I've not seen solid conductor THHN/THWN wire, not sure if it's even made.  Mine was stranded, but I had to use 6 awg wire in my spa.  Regardless, stranded THWN wire will be fine.  

5) We plan to use 6/3 Romax cable for the run from the main breaker box to the GFCI 30/20A breaker box, does anyone know what gauge the solid earth wire is on this type of cable? (the Hot Spring spec calls for #10 AWG).

Don't know offhand, but whatever the gauge is, it will be of adequate size for your cable.  I'd suspect it migh be one size or two less- I'd be really surprised if the ground was smaller than #10 on 6awg romex.  Make sure your locale allows romex for that application.  Some places require an insulated ground wire in this application, and romex doesn't have an insulated ground.  Might be just as advisable to run THWN wire for this, too.

Many thanks in advance...appreciate any reply :-)
Brewman

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 07:15:38 pm »
I used 8/3 from the main panel to the sub-panel in my Jetsetter.  I then ran 12/2 and 10/2 from the sub to the tub in the 3/4" watertight flex conduit.  It was a tight fit but it went in easily with some liquid soap.  I used regular old NM-B wire.  I found out later that based on the temp rating I should have used 6/3 (NM-B) from the main panel to the sub panel, but a friend who is an electrician told me not to worry about it.  I've had the tub since last July and have never had a problem with it.    
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 08:34:21 pm »
Those 6 wires will actually occupy less that 40% of 1/2 conduit.

http://www.cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=49
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

mr.spasr.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 02:29:43 pm »
That is the reason you purchased from a well trained and well experienced Hot Spring Dealer - They will be able to tell you all of that information -They should also have referrals for electrical contractors to do the installation if you wish. Consult your dealer is the best advise . The best product in the world still requireds the support of a trained and qualified "in field ' representative - CALL YOUR SELLING DEALER !.

mr.spasr.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 02:33:52 pm »
By the way - Aluminum wiring and romex are NOT recommended for this large an amperage circuit - Heat build up and wire size are major concerns as are distance and numbers of connections -CALL YOUR DEALER - if you can't get help there CALL HOT SPRINGS customer service 800-999-4688 and ask for technical service or for the area sales representative.

mr.spasr.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 05:12:06 pm »
And one more thing I noticed after reading completely through your post is the 6/3 Romex - asside from being too much amperage for Romex all together you need a 4 wire supply to the subpanel NOT # wire - Please consult a professional before you do anything!

aguamarina4u

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 07:43:04 pm »
*****Update*****

The comments regarding romex are correct.  

We have changed our design to use 3x #6 awg thhn for the 2 hots and the neutral along with  #8 awg thhn for the ground.  All wires will run into a 3/4" non matalic pvc electrical conduit.  

The romex is only rated at 60 degrees, the ground conductor is only awg #10 and is not insulated.  

Thanks again for all those who have replied to my thread.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 07:43:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42