What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another newbie question!  (Read 3319 times)

Mez

Another newbie question!
« on: April 19, 2007, 06:41:40 pm »
I am new to the forum, a quick thanks to all for the posts Ive read on here while trying to make a somewhat educated decision on our first tub. I ended up ordering a Jaccuzi J-345 earlier in the week and have a question on foundation. The rep at the dealer told me I could use a spa pad, pavers, gravel, a concrete pad, etc....any suggestions. I dont really want to go through the hassle, not too mention the expense of having a pad poured...I have toyed with the idea of doing one myself and either having one of those "mini mix" trucks come out or pouring a 12 x 12 pad in 4 x 4 secrions and using bags of 5000 Sakrete.  Any idea's/comments are appreciated.
My wife wants it off of our master bedroom which would involve cutting a doorway through the brick, pouring a pad, hanging a roof and then enclosing it. I think it would be more private like that (for those late nite soaks :)) but not sure I want that hassle/expense either. I guess Im looking for people on here to tell me what my wife did, I just dropped a bunch of $$ on the tub, I may as well not do the rest half assed :)

Hot Tub Forum

Another newbie question!
« on: April 19, 2007, 06:41:40 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Another newbie question!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:07:12 pm »
The going rate here in the STL for pouring a slab that size is between $5-$7 per square foot. When I was debating whether to go that route or with pavers, I had figured it would cost roughly the same amount to do the pavers myself as it would to have a professional come and pour me a slab. I opted for the slab as it just wasn't practical for me to spend a couple of days labor and not save any money.

The bigger the slab you have poured the better price per square foot you'll get. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone to do it for under $750. That's how much it cost me for a 10 x 17 slab last year. He is my neighbors brother so I was able to get a slight discount. It has paid dividends for him as I have given him 3 referrals since then.

Mez

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »
The going rate here in the STL for pouring a slab that size is between $5-$7 per square foot. When I was debating whether to go that route or with pavers, I had figured it would cost roughly the same amount to do the pavers myself as it would to have a professional come and pour me a slab. I opted for the slab as it just wasn't practical for me to spend a couple of days labor and not save any money.

The bigger the slab you have poured the better price per square foot you'll get. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone to do it for under $750. That's how much it cost me for a 10 x 17 slab last year. He is my neighbors brother so I was able to get a slight discount. It has paid dividends for him as I have given him 3 referrals since then.

Thanks again for the advice Why Not, I will go ahead and call around for a quote. I figured if I used 74 bags of Sakrete and did all the work myself it would run around $350.00 for a slab plus my back :)
I am thinking about biting the bullet and doing a covered area off the master like my wife wants as well. I can d the work, just not sure I want too! I have about 4 weeks to get whatever I decide finished before the J-345 arrives and I will be out in Vegas on business all next week so I am just kinda thinking out loud on here and getting feedback. Thanks again

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:24:44 pm »
Your welcome Mez,

Keep in mind that a newly poured concrete slab should cure for atleast a week before placing 3650lb hot tub on it. Preferrably two. I waited three. :-[ I like to be overkill.

Chad
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:25:20 pm by WHY_NOT »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:56:17 am »
I did compacted sand and pavers, and for me it has worked out well.  It's generally accepted tht a properly poured slab is overall, considered to be the best, but it's not always necessary or appropriate.

You mentioned you wanted some privacy and possibly installing a roof - have you thought about a Gazebo?  You may have to double up the supports on the floor,  but would give you the foundation you require, the privacy and the roof.

The other option not mentioned in your lists (Pavers, cement, handipad) is a deck.  My brother in law  is putting in a hot tub and he built a deck just off his bedroom's sliders. The deck is not that high off the ground and at the same height as his sliders' threshold.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:19:12 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

cajun1

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:09:31 am »
I'm in the Houston area and just had a 10x8 slab poured for $500.  I got a referral from the dealer I bought the tub from.  He mostly delivers & sets up the spas, but he also pours slabs if needed and was not as expensive as a concrete contractor.
Good Luck!

Im-A-Duck

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 09:53:53 am »
I went to a rental place and rented a concrete mixer that you pull behind your truck, it cost about $120.00 and already has the cement pre-mixed. I framed then poured the concrete myself, it was really easy and I saved a few houndred dollars by doing it myself. Spend a few bucks on rebar and the wire mesh to get a good sound foundation. You can go to the lowes or home depot website and search for pouring concrete slabs and it will tell you every thing you need to know. It was really easy, it took about 30 minutes to frame, 45 minutes to pour and finish and a couple of days to cure. Slapped the Caldera on it and the rest is hot tub history.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 09:53:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42