What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tub on Rails  (Read 2492 times)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Tub on Rails
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:57:19 am »
I have not heard of this, but a friend of mine is looking to get a tub and store it under his deck when not in use.  His deck is about 5' off the ground.  He was wanting to set the tub on a platform that either has castors or is mounted on rails.  This way he could slide it out when he wanted to use it and push it back under the deck when not in use.

I told him I have never heard of such a thing.  Seems plausible and  interesting though.  Im guessing he would need a motor to move it.  Don't know if he will do it.

Has anybody ever heard of such an idea?
Any thoughts?

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

Tub on Rails
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:57:19 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Tub on Rails
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:41:09 am »
I have a source for small gauge (and large gauge) railroad type rail and wheels. Lay some ties into a road bed and build a platform to hold the weight and it would be very feasable. I have seen it done on plenty of boats to pull them into boat houses, heavy ones to. It requires a hoist or motorized platform for boats and I don't imagine a tub would be any different. Seen plenty of them go right into the water and you just drive up hit the button and up your boat goes into the boat house.
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:53:44 am »
What about the electrical? Just a long cord that allows for movement of the tub?
07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:16:22 am »

Interesting idea....

I think it's a crazy idea...

and would be way too much trouble vs just flipping
the cover over and jumping in like most of us do....

but hey whatever works

keep us informed...I would like to follow the project
and see how it goes.....maybe some pics?

best of luck with the idea....lets see how it turns out.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:21:54 am »
I'd go with a James Bond type of install, having the tub mounted to some high capacity winches, so the tub can be moved out and retracted with a flip of a swith.  Of course, mouting the winches to something may be an issue.  :-? Hydrylics could be used to lift the tub up from beneath the deck (think car lift at your local garage).   Seems easier (and probably less expsensive) to just  build a bigger deck.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:48:57 am »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:48:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42