What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Visited the 2007 Master Spa Traveling Circus  (Read 4381 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Visited the 2007 Master Spa Traveling Circus
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:07:32 pm »
I had some time to kill so I decided to stop at the Master Spa show that traveled through this year.  I did see a couple of spas I would look at if I was in the market again as I do see some seating arrangements/jetting I like.  But I'm not in the market and to be honest, I'm checking out the show more than the tub.

The 2005 version of the show was teamed with a "legitimate home show", but used the total BS ads that stated 16 major manufacturers under one roof competing for your business.  The local Master Dealer was no where to be found.

This year, the show tamed its claims of tubs represented down to just inside the line that some might consider the truth. As far as it being a "pool.spa and patio show, well again, it probably just comes inside the line of truth.

This year, there was a banner up for Pacific Pools hanging from the ceiling. However, I couldn't find anybody from Pacific there. But at least they are clearly operating with the knowledge of the local dealer, thats another improvement.

I didn't count, but there probably was 15-18 total tubs on the floor and all but 3 were Master or Down East spas.   There was a local pool dealer with one pool setup, a landscaper, a tree service, and a guy selling chemicals. This is clearly just enough for them to call this anything more than a Master Spa sale.  This show, as far as a show is far less of a fraud than it use to be.  An informed consumer who has shopped around may get a good deal here (assumption), but the concept and implementation of the show leaves a bad taste in my mouth and if I was to buy a Master today, it would be at the local dealer.  

There was one thing that did catch my eye that I spent some time on that I found interesting and thought I would share.   Many people coming here looking for a budget tub.  This one carried a $3500 price tag  It had a Balboa control panel and the electrical plate said it could be hooked to 120/240.  I have no other specs to give. The seating would be for 2 or maybe 3  with 2 bench seats.  The thing that caught my eye was the self contained cover that opened in two pieces and folded out of the way.  Its made of a hard plastic, possibly ABS, and it looks tough.  It might/probably is a good insulator. Looks like a great idea for a small tub.  Could it implement in a larger tub?  I don't know, but if there is any place a hot tub company could use some research is in a more durable affordable cover technlogy.  Anyway, here it is.

I found it interesting.

PS - I just remembered, the ads did say, and I'll go back to their website and check, that this was the largest selection of hot tubs ever under one roof in Ohio. I wish I would have made an accurate count, but I do BELIEVE the local Sundance Dealer (All Seasons Spas) and Hot Springs/Cal Dealer (Scioto Valley) have more tubs on the floor every day.   MJB, how many spas on your floor today?  I wish I would have actually counted.

[glow][size=14]Taken with lo-res cell phone camera[/glow] [/size]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:21:45 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Visited the 2007 Master Spa Traveling Circus
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:07:32 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
Re: Visited the 2007 Master Spa Traveling Circus
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:33:58 pm »

Ok, i did see a swim spa and an above ground pool. I suppose I could have seen the latest in inground pools in an ad somebody had.

There was a landscaper. Whats a hard scape?

I didn't see any patio furniture or decking.

Much more?

40% off, who knows.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:37:51 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:06:17 pm »
Bill,

Hardscape is the use of cobble stones or retaining wall stones to create a "look". In some areas it has become very popular to mix hardscape and landscape plants to crate a designer backyard. Here in NJ the big player in hardscape seems to be EP Henry. The use seems to be with tiered backyards with retaining walls, walkways and lighting.

Here's an example:

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:29:44 pm »
I didn't count, but there probably was 15-18 total tubs on the floor and all but 3 were Master or Down East spas.  

.... I wish I would have made an accurate count, but I do BELIEVE the local Sundance Dealer (All Seasons Spas) and Hot Springs/Cal Dealer (Scioto Valley) have more tubs on the floor every day.   MJB, how many spas on your floor today?  I wish I would have actually counted.

Thanks for the PM. After reading this thread I had to show my wife their commercial when it showed up on TV. She seemed as interested as I was, until I told her about it being a Master Spa thing.

I would be surprised if the Master show was substantially larger than either of the dealers you mentioned - and that's just here in Columbus, let alone all of Ohio. Between Sundance, Jacuzzi, and Nordic, I'd be surprised if All Seasons has less than 20 spas on the floor- I'd guess 30 or so.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:16:35 am »

Thanks for the PM. After reading this thread I had to show my wife their commercial when it showed up on TV. She seemed as interested as I was, until I told her about it being a Master Spa thing.

I would be surprised if the Master show was substantially larger than either of the dealers you mentioned - and that's just here in Columbus, let alone all of Ohio. Between Sundance, Jacuzzi, and Nordic, I'd be surprised if All Seasons has less than 20 spas on the floor- I'd guess 30 or so.

A dealer (not a show) has 20 different\ spas on thier floor?  That's alot.  :o
07 Caldera Geneva

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:43:05 pm »
Bill,
Just for referance...Those little spas that interested you for $3500 sell all over the country for $500 to a $1000 less.

I have to ask...Do you think a company that would be deceptive in selling a product would be 100% forthright in warrenty?

Unless they are making a premium on these spas I can't see how these shows are affordable. I'm hearing #'s like 10 to 15 spas at many of these shows from road team guys I know. With the cost of the venue and the advertising I can't see where that is a profit center unless you sell twice that many?!

My guess is that the dealers are not involved and the factory is taking most of the profit to fund this. They may be giving the dealer a small kick-back to deliver and set up but even at that you would have to sell a lot more spas to cover costs.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 02:09:32 pm »
I'll be your right Stuart.  As I mentioned, it was good for looking around and playing with the spas, but if I was to buy one of them, I would visit the dealer.  I haven't been to that dealer and not sure what they have on their floor.  I work near there, so maybe I will stop in sometime.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 02:35:59 pm »

A dealer (not a show) has 20 different\ spas on thier floor?  That's alot.  :o

I love the place, if I go there to buy chemicals, I usually end up wandering the showroom for 30 minutes. Lots to see and the staff is great to talk to.  Its borderline promotion, but I have no ties to them and I think you will find their website interesting. They have 360 degree views of their showroom and a great wet test facility.  Its worth looking at as a great example.

http://www.allseasonsspas.net/gallery.html#

And it features our forums own MJB

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 05:15:09 pm »

A dealer (not a show) has 20 different spas on thier floor?  That's alot.  :o

I checked out the 360 views from Bill's link, and in one of them I counted 18 spas - and that's just what you can see from one place. 5-6 Nordic tubs plus at least 8-10 Jacuzzis and 8-10 Sundances in the showroom, plus 3 more in the wet test room. Of course, they probably have 2-3 Optimas, and probably some duplicates of other models, but 20-30 models is a good estimate.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

mjb

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 12:33:01 pm »
Bill, we have 42 spas on floor at present.
There are a few duplicate models.
Especially in our "clearance corner".
By the way, I am on my way to Prescott,
Arizona for a new job.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:08 pm »
Arizona for a new job.

Damm, all that sucking up was for not?  My discount on my next spa, just went out he window. Thats ok, for the price of a new Caven, I bought this instead.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 02:15:19 pm »

Damm, all that sucking up was for not?  My discount on my next spa, just went out he window. Thats ok, for the price of a new Caven, I bought this instead.

Bill, you got your 30 reasons into Hotsprings yet?  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 04:55:02 pm »

Bill, you got your 30 reasons into Hotsprings yet?  ;)

Yea, but creativity has never been my stroing point. How many entries do you have in for others?

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 08:43:15 pm »
Arizona for a new job.

Mike,
I didn't know you were leaving! All Seasons is losing a great guy. Good luck with your new endeavours in Arizona.

Kevin Hawley
A.K.A. "D.P. Roberts"

Reese

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 05:05:17 pm »
This topic isn't much fun when Mendo and WSD don't come out and play. :-/ ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:12:12 pm by Reese »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 05:05:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42