What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Air in Line? Jacuzzi 345  (Read 3693 times)

wildriver

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Air in Line? Jacuzzi 345
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:29:46 pm »
I drained and refilled my Jacuzzi 345 yesterday (have done this several times before without problems) and after getting it powered up Pump 1 is working properly but Pump 2 only hums without pumping water.  I pretty much assumed that there was an air pocket in the line.  After trying to force water into jets and the filter inlets (using a water hose with high pressure nozzle) without any luck , and repeatedly turning it on and off for brief periods, I drained the tub again, refilled it while paying more attention to filling the filter inlets per directions, powered it up, and again Pump 2 only hums.  I turned it off and on for several tries, got misc. bubbles out of it, but still no jet action, only the hum.  Of course this being a Sunday and my dealer also closed on Monday, can anyone give me any suggestions for confirming and solving this possible air bubble problem?  The Jacuzzi website and manual were of no help.  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Air in Line? Jacuzzi 345
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:29:46 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Air in Line? Jacuzzi 345
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:12:58 pm »
I believe your pump has an air relief valve on it.  Take the equipment door off.  Identify pump two.  You should find a small black cap or valve.  Turn slowly and you should get hissing and water and air mixed coming out.  When hissing stops, air is gone.

If no valve, you might have to loosen union.

An alternative that often works is to leave it alone.  Often the air will rise if it can as it is lighter than the water.

We used to see this a lot on the 315. Of course with the 315 there is only one pump.   Never on the 345.  Strange.  Good luck.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

wildriver

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:30:46 pm »
Thanks a bunch Dan.  I will try it out tomorrow.
Don

Micah

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:11:17 pm »
Before you take off the door you may want to try to take the cap off of the diverter valve.  This usually does the trick.  Be sure not to turn the pump on while the diverter valve cap is off.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:06:09 am »
Before you take off the door you may want to try to take the cap off of the diverter valve.  This usually does the trick.  Be sure not to turn the pump on while the diverter valve cap is off.
Good point.  I forgot that one.  I've done it before. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 05:48:37 pm »

I have to do that with every fill on my j345. If I take it off, and put the hose in there for 15 minutes or so then I can put the diverter back on and start the tub up normal. If you turn the pump on with the diverter off it is really entertaining, shoots an impressive stream of water up in the air. Keeps you from forgetting about again though!

Taking the diverter off is significantly easier than messing with the equipment cover, I did that first at the instruction of the tech I called. The next guy I talked to recommended the diverter thing, works great.

wildriver

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:16:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I got the air out before I read the recommendations about the diverter.  The small valve on my pump 2 was located on the bottom side of the motor, so when I got the front panel off, I also had to remove the left corner panel to get access to the little relief valve.  Some water came out but really no air.  When I turned the pump on I could definately hear water being sloshed around, then pooling back down once the pump was off.  I ended up loosening the 2" or so diameter hose cap that fed into the pump, just enough to let some air out.  Tightened it up, turned the pump on, and it worked like a charm.
During the daylight I'll have to check out the diverter valve closely to figure out how the cap works ... now I am off to the tub!
Don

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 03:22:26 pm »
The large ring under the diverter handle unscrews. There are some large ring type washers you don't want to lose. Tighten it hand tight so you can get it back off next fill. Very simple.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 08:47:51 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.
Although after my refill I didn't have a problem, atleast now I'll know what to do if it ever does happen. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 08:47:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42