What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa not heating  (Read 4842 times)

gkckm

Spa not heating
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:10 pm »
Hi

I have a 1996 Hot Spot by Hot Springs. My problem is that the spa is not heating. The flow switch is closing and I have 120 volts to the heating unit (it ia a 1000 watt 120 volt spa). Even after 4 hours the spa does not appear to be heating at all. I rotate the thermostat to see where it appears to be satisfied and it is just a low as it was 4 hours earlier. I measure 12 ohms across the black and white wire of the element. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks
Greg
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 08:53:30 pm by gkckm »

Hot Tub Forum

Spa not heating
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:34:10 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Spa not heating
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 10:08:04 pm »
silly question but have you taken the circ pump filter out?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 11:53:49 pm »
I get this question all the time on the smaller tubs with the 1000 watt heater.

The answer is: balance the water, be sure the filter is clean or new, close the lid and don't open it again for 20 hours. You should not feel any heat coming out of the jets, and four hours with you opening and closing the lid is not enough to even start the heating.

Chances are it will be hot before then, but if you set your mind on 20 hours you will not be tempted to keep checking the thing.

Is this a new to you tub?

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 12:41:52 am »
Whoops...didn't pay attention to the hotspot part...no circ pump but still possible for dirty filter.

gkckm

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 09:10:22 am »
silly question but have you taken the circ pump filter out?

I took the filter out (appeared to be clean) but once I saw I had 120v going to the pump I put it back in. Should I leave it out as well for 20 hours?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 09:13:08 am by gkckm »

gkckm

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 09:12:28 am »
I get this question all the time on the smaller tubs with the 1000 watt heater.

The answer is: balance the water, be sure the filter is clean or new, close the lid and don't open it again for 20 hours. You should not feel any heat coming out of the jets, and four hours with you opening and closing the lid is not enough to even start the heating.

Chances are it will be hot before then, but if you set your mind on 20 hours you will not be tempted to keep checking the thing.

Is this a new to you tub?

Tub is not new to me. It was working fine but then one day it is hot the next day luke warm. After four hours I should be able to tell by the thermostat if it is getting warmer shouldn't I?

I have a two piece hard cover and only opened it after four hours but I know it wil take longer than that to get a noticable change.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 12:22:13 pm »
Is the pump running @ low speed?

Leave filter in.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 12:44:08 pm »
Spa will heat VEEERY slowly.  The only sure way to know if heater is working is to measure the amp draw with a clamp on amp meter.  Should be around 13 amps, if not, bad heater.

gkckm

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 12:52:25 pm »
Is the pump running @ low speed?

Leave filter in.

Pump comes on when heater is required and will only operate on low due to current draw. I have filter out but if it heats up I will replace it tomorrow.

gkckm

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 12:53:57 pm »
Spa will heat VEEERY slowly.  The only sure way to know if heater is working is to measure the amp draw with a clamp on amp meter.  Should be around 13 amps, if not, bad heater.

I have a clamp on probe at work I will borrow tomorrow and check current flow.  From what I calculate I should get about 8.3 amps with a 1000 Watt unit at 120 volts.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 06:15:38 pm »

I took the filter out (appeared to be clean) but once I saw I had 120v going to the pump I put it back in. Should I leave it out as well for 20 hours?
Leave the filter out for a day and see what happens.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 11:46:30 am »

I have a clamp on probe at work I will borrow tomorrow and check current flow.  From what I calculate I should get about 8.3 amps with a 1000 Watt unit at 120 volts.

That is correct.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

gkckm

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 08:02:07 pm »

That is correct.

Here is the latest...

The tub has been running since 0700 Sunday morning. It is 1730 on Monday. The water temp is at about 100 degrees and heater cannot push it to the 105 I normally get. I check for the 120 volts and ....NOTHING!!! I unplug and replug the tub in and wait the 10 minutes. The tub comes on and I have 120 volts to the heater. I plug the heater in and measure 8.3 amps. GREAT!!!!

Problem appears to be that the temp sensor knows the water is not hot enough so the pump runs but somehow the thermostat does not alway allow the 120 volts to the heater. I replaced this last year! Is it possible that it could be bad already?

Thanks for any help
Greg

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 08:26:57 pm »
If this is a digital thermostat - what do you have it set for?

Should be ut1 or ut2 if you want 105

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

gkckm

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 09:12:09 pm »
If this is a digital thermostat - what do you have it set for?

Should be ut1 or ut2 if you want 105

8-)

It is an old turn knob style numbered 1-8. If I set it at the edge of the 8 (not to max)then I get about 105 degrees.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 09:12:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42