What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pregnant women & hot tubs???  (Read 17214 times)

Im-A-Duck

Pregnant women & hot tubs???
« on: March 06, 2007, 09:12:12 am »
My wife is 4 months pregnant, we have read that a pregnant woman should not get into hot tubs because it raises their core body temp and could effect the baby. I told her we can drop the temp to 100-101 and it should be ok. Anyone has any knowledge on this?

Also I work offshore 14 days on and 14 days off and my wife is afraid to treat the tub while I am at work because she is unsure of the toxicity of the chemicals to the touch so I don't argue with her. So the day before I head to work I shock it with a heavy dose and leave the cover off for an hour or so and leave it for 2 weeks. When I get back home the water smells like fish and is a little cloudy but I shock it again and all is fine. Can anyone give me any tips?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Pregnant women & hot tubs???
« on: March 06, 2007, 09:12:12 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Pregnant women & hot tubs???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:36:04 am »
I think any kind of bathing is a no-no to pregnant women.

As far as chems - put pre measured doses in a prescription vial or film vial - just have her open the cover and throw it in. No touching of chems!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:36:27 am by Vinny »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:44:39 am »
IMO, I would worry more about bacteria and chemicals than the temp. They tell pregnant women to not raise thier core body temp more than 4 degrees (more critical inthe first tri-mester I'm told).

My wife would not get in the first several month but instead set on the side and massage her sore legs with the wall jets. She did get in later on with the Dr's approval however very rarely and with the temp down about 101. We were very critical about chemicals.

I would go with whatever your Dr says.

Im-A-Duck

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:51:51 am »
Thanks guy's. Great idea about the pre-measured containers Vinny

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:53:23 am »
As far as treating, assuming you use Dichlor.  Go to a camera store and get a few of the cannisters that 35mm film comes in.  Pour enough in each one for a single dose of dichlor to cover your absence.  All she would have to do is lift the lid, pull the cap and dump.  No odors and no touching of the chemical.  Or maybe this is a good reason to use a Bromine floating dispenser.

FWIW - When my wife found out she was pregnant she instantly stopped all added salt, caffeine, alcohol, and over the counter drugs. (I don't remember her getting any prescriptions during that time)   It was a rough  9 months, but the way our daughter turned out, it was worth it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:54:40 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 11:24:58 am »
Don't listen to all the scaredy cats!  My wife used the hot tub at the max temperature her whole pregnancy and our baby turned out just fine, exceptin' for the third foot, crawdaddy claws, dark whiskers, and his habit of squirting blood out of his eye like a horny toad when he's scared.  These are minor things that most children outgrow.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 11:37:33 am »
But you told me that was caused by all those years of wearing

'glow in the dark'

underwear.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

dunerunner25

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 12:17:12 pm »
Gees, thanks for the vision Chas!!  You forgot about the cowboy boots though.LOL
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:22:34 pm by dunerunner25 »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 12:36:55 pm »
Well................ I gotta ask this.

You're concerned about the health and well being of your unborn child and you're asking for advise from who knows who on an internet message board?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:53:11 pm »
NOT Funny Term...Photoshopping that beautiful little guy >:( >:(
I know I am asking for it...but that ain't right  >:(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Im-A-Duck

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:01:28 pm »
Dr. Spa...

I was asking because I thought someone on this site may have experiece and insite.... After all, some people on here do sale spa's don't they? I am sure not all of them will deny the truth and cause hazzard to someone pregnant just to sell their product....What do you think? Are you in the business????? Never mind.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 01:11:14 pm »
I would worry more about ever posting a picture of the baby when it is born on this site where Term can get a hold of the photo and do vile things.... ;) 8-)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 01:12:01 pm »
I think this question really needs to be asked of your wife's doctor. Actually, I think ANY medical question should be asked of a doctor............ That's qualified, and experienced in the field in question (e.g. don't trust a podiatrist for advise on a heart condition :-) ) Maybe it's just me, but I just don't feel comfortable taking the advice of some Joe Blow on the internet when talking about something this serious.

And I sincerely apologize if you took this the wrong way and were offended. This was not my intention.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Reese

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 01:52:40 pm »
My wife is 4 months pregnant, we have read that a pregnant woman should not get into hot tubs because it raises their core body temp and could effect the baby. I told her we can drop the temp to 100-101 and it should be ok. Anyone has any knowledge on this?

Also I work offshore 14 days on and 14 days off and my wife is afraid to treat the tub while I am at work because she is unsure of the toxicity of the chemicals to the touch so I don't argue with her. So the day before I head to work I shock it with a heavy dose and leave the cover off for an hour or so and leave it for 2 weeks. When I get back home the water smells like fish and is a little cloudy but I shock it again and all is fine. Can anyone give me any tips?
Congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife!  Most of the information that I have seen says that pregnant women should not use hot tubs, nor expose themselves to harsh chemicals, so my question is why risk it?  A few months of tub hassles are a small price to pay, compared to any potential health issues.  I assume your wife is seeing a healthcare professional who can help her determine appropriate risks.  As Doc is implying, I'd follow that advice over opinions on an internet forum, even if the doctor/midwife's answers seem overly cautious.

As far as ideas for tub care, you have already received some good ones.  Taking them one step further, if you don't want to switch to a bromine floater, perhaps you could arrange for a neighbor or friend to dump in the pre-measured doses others suggested every few days, and consider adding Nature2/Frog to your routine to add a little margin for error.  If your wife would like to use the tub, ask the physician if short periods at temps close to normal body temperature would be okay.

loosenupspas

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 04:27:46 pm »
funny to read this thread....i was out of the store this afternoon and my wife was in charge.  A pregnant lady walked in and started talking about having her baby in a hot tub.  The hot water is natural anestisia.  She would have a mid-wife in the water with her.  Beyond that the details became sketchy.....strange day my wife thought......bless her heart

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 04:27:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42