What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fried eyeballs!  (Read 3202 times)

Bama

Fried eyeballs!
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:38:37 pm »
Alrighty...so I had a problem in the past with bacteria on my body from not enough chlorine in the water.  
So, I fixed that problem by adding a bit of dichlor (tiny bit) just enough to barely register on the test strip.  Then I get in, ok?
But, now I am frying my eyeballs.  Yes, I try to keep my eyes closed, but evidently I'm not doing that enough?
Is it possible to keep bacteria down with another method?
I heard of some folks who use salt in their swimming pool instead of chlorine products.  
You know where I'm going with this....salt in the hot tub.
Any solutions?
Any wisdom on this?
Anything?

Bama

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:39:09 pm by Bama »

Hot Tub Forum

Fried eyeballs!
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:38:37 pm »

Reese

Re: Fried eyeballs!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 01:22:58 pm »
...adding a bit of dichlor (tiny bit) just enough to barely register on the test strip.  Then I get in, ok?
Are you adding the dichlor before you get in?  If so, and you aren't waiting the prescribed 1-2 hours, the offgassing is probably irritating your eyes.  If this is the case, try adding the dichlor after you get out.  You could also try Nature 2, add a small MPS dose 15 minutes prior to use, and a dichlor dose at the end of the day.  

As far as the salt generator systems, my understanding is they haven't been perfected for hot tubs yet.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:23:34 pm by Reese »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:27:31 pm »
Alrighty...so I had a problem in the past with bacteria on my body from not enough chlorine in the water.  
So, I fixed that problem by adding a bit of dichlor (tiny bit) just enough to barely register on the test strip.  Then I get in, ok?
But, now I am frying my eyeballs.  Yes, I try to keep my eyes closed, but evidently I'm not doing that enough?
Is it possible to keep bacteria down with another method?
I heard of some folks who use salt in their swimming pool instead of chlorine products.  
You know where I'm going with this....salt in the hot tub.
Any solutions?
Any wisdom on this?
Anything?

Bama

When you hear of salt in a swimming pool to sanitize, they are talking about a salt chlorine generator.  This takes salt and converts it into chlorine.  I don't think there is a good one for a spa, but it still is chlorine so you are not eliminating it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 01:29:55 pm »
I know in my pool if my eyes are burning, it's my Alk, not my chlorine.
how is everything else?
07 Caldera Geneva

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 02:27:26 pm »
I know in my pool if my eyes are burning, it's my Alk, not my chlorine.
how is everything else?
Same here, I usally have to bring up my PH/ALK. Just about time to do that for me actually.
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 02:41:34 pm »
Bama,

Are you shocking regularly? The smell and burning eyes associated with chlorine is normally because of the combined chlorines (chlorine that has killed something). You should shock the tub every week or so to get rid of the combined chlorines.

From what I understand free chlorine at the levels you should have in your tub (<5ppm) shouldn't be detectable unless you are ultra sensitive to chlorine.

Reese is right also, normally one would add the chlorine after soaking.

Steve

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:44:36 pm »
PH....7.5 is the natural ph of an eye.......check it first and balance accordingly.  I like adding chlor after the usage.  increase the use of oxidizer too, it is chlorine free and shouldn't impact the eyeballs....tom

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 05:17:28 pm »
You say you added a tiny bit of chlorine, just enough to barely register on the test strip, how long after you added it did you do this test?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 06:56:46 pm »
Many things can affect a person but the amount of chlorine you added is very low. If I remember correctly, you use the tub a few times a day. If that's the case maybe adding 3 PPM at night after last use and shock with MPS in the morning to get rid of the organic load and maybe add 1 PPM midday. You may be able to get away with the 3 PPM and MPS shock. It really depends on the chlorine residue ... if you have any free chlorine then your killing bacteria.

Adding before or after is not the issue, it's the balance of the water and the combined chlorine present that can affect a person.

Some municipalities add 1 PPM or more of chlorine for drinking water. You bath or shower in that same water at possibly higher temps and if it doesn't affect you then the 1 PPM of chlorine wouldn't.

As Doc asked, how long after adding chlorine did you test? It needs time to mix and disperse throughout the tub and you have a large tub. It may be possible that there was a lot more chlorine than you thought.

I personally don't have problems soaking in chlorine and have soaked in some pretty high doses. If you're that sensitive, which you might be then switching to a enzyme product may be the answer.

One last thought - do you wear contacts? I have heard that fumes really irritate contact lense wearers. If you had them in, maybe try not using them next time and see how it goes.

Bama

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:59:17 pm »
Thanks tubber friends for your responses.

Vinny,
Wow, you remembered that I soak several times per day.  Currently, I am down to soaking twice per day.  

From what you guys are saying, I can tell you I am testing the water too soon after adding dichlor.  I should wait 20 minutes, huh?
My bad.
I will be more patient and give it time on the testing and report back.

I shock with diclor once per week.
All other chemical levels are ok.

Thanks again, you guys are the best!!!!!!!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:01:40 pm by Bama »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:59:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42