What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Impression of Spa Frog  (Read 2327 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
First Impression of Spa Frog
« on: March 03, 2007, 01:33:26 pm »
I received my Spa Frogs on Wed and opened the package today. They were bought on e-bay and cost about $19 each.

It seems that N2 might be better made than Frog. There were a few stones in the packaging (2 retail boxes) floating around, none of them looked like silver (I assume it would be a silver color) so I will assume they are the other ingredient (someone here claims it to be limestone). The Frog was also covered in a white powdery substance which I assume again is the limestone. The only N2 that I've ever used didn't have stomes floating around (I understand the white powder) and it was in a celophane wrapper, not a box (stones couldn't fall out).

Comparing the 2 (Frog and N2) maybe N2 has more quality control or my ebay purchase was not such a great buy after all (possibly 2nds?). I guess if it works I won't care about these things.

Other Frog users, do your Frogs come that way?

The thing I do like over the N2 is the attached stick to keep it from going down the drain - nothing to possibly fall off. Hearing stories about that would worry me if my tub didn't have a grating over the circ pump.

A true review is to come once I change the water.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:35:06 pm by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

First Impression of Spa Frog
« on: March 03, 2007, 01:33:26 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: First Impression of Spa Frog
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 01:48:45 pm »
Vinny,

I can't comment on an Ebay purchase except to say that for a mineral stick you are just about at dealer cost on it and it would make me wonder as to how it could be sold and why someone would want to, if it is in fact first quality or non- aged product. One thing with the frog is that it is EPA approved and in their testing has been confirmed that it does as it claims in helping to breakdown bacteria one thing I recently learned was that what the frog and I assume all of the other silver mineral products do is to attack and soften the walls of the bacteria making it easier for your sanitizer to work and that is why you can with the frog use less sanitizer. Also it is different from N-2 in that the frog gets into you water almost immediately and with N-2 it take about 2 works for the silver to break down and become effective, it is because of the way it is ground.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 02:49:38 pm »
I tried the frog (the one that goes into the filter tube). When I first opened the box I found several some white stones. This is the same stuff that the Spa Frog is filled with. I'm not sure how effective it was as a sanitizer. The problem I had was these small stones collecting in my hot tub. :-/
It's all about da bubbles!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 02:52:35 pm »
Hey Mendo!

Glad to see you back posting!

I am skeptical at times of e-bay but for $38, I figured  - no big deal. I didn't think of old product but in this case I didn't think it mattered. I was surprised to see the little rocks and question why and what about my pump ... I will make sure any and all loose rocks will be flushed out of these things before using.

I sometimes wonder where some people get their items to sell on e-bay. I knew someone who was distraughgt that they couldn't bid on a $1,000 TV (computer issues) ... I told him it was a blessing!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:06:50 pm »
I tried the frog (the one that goes into the filter tube). When I first opened the box I found several some white stones. This is the same stuff that the Spa Frog is filled with. I'm not sure how effective it was as a sanitizer. The problem I had was these small stones collecting in my hot tub. :-/

That's what I'm worried about as well! :(

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 03:07:34 pm »
Vinny, the rocks getting in my pump was my main concern. In fact, I never put the Spa Frog in my filter tube, I just let it float (well, sink) in the skimmer area.  By the way, I purchased mine from a reputable online dealer.
It's all about da bubbles!

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 03:14:47 pm »
Vinny,

Let us know how it works out.  I have been talking/thinking of trying N2 or Spa Frog for a while and would be very interested in your "newest experiment" ;)
Bullfrog 451

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 03:36:20 pm »
I used the frog for over two years, though I bought the version distributed by LeisureTime, and I never had stones or powder floating around.  It actually looked about the same as the N2 cartridge except it was blue.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 03:44:54 pm »
The water change will be soon. Here in NJ it was beautiful this morning (it's windy and cold now though) and almost drained the tub. I believe this water is going on 4 months but I really haven't used the tub during those 4 months (I hate when life gets in the way of things) (OK maybe it's just me!).

I will try to keep an open mind while testing it and it will be at least a six month test due to my 2 that I bought. I'll even try it with less chlorine to see!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 08:09:05 pm »
Vinny, you have me confused...are you switching to Bromine? I thought the Frog was a "paired" system. Bromine and the mineral cartridge.. Are you going to Bromine because you aren't using your tub as much? Or am I just confused and feeling the effects of the eclipse? :o
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 09:40:39 pm »
Boni,

Frog sells a mineral stick that's works with both bromine & chlorine. I'm sticking with chlorine.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 10:49:30 pm »
Oh, I automatically thought Frog was Bromine...I should have known that after tireless experimentation you wouldn't switch! ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 10:52:52 pm »
If I had a dispenser built into the tub I would give bromine a try. I actually was going to try bromine when I was planning on getting an Emerald Spa - they had a dispenser in the middle of the filter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 10:52:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42