What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealer moved  (Read 2898 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Dealer moved
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:35:44 am »
My dealer moved across the street to a larger facility in the fall and I just saw a sign go up for a new dealer in the unit beside his old spot.  The competition will be good for the consumer but I can't imagine why a dealer would setup shop across the street from an established Dealer.

I just hope my dealer is the one that survives.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

Dealer moved
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:35:44 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Dealer moved
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:49:27 am »
I'm the only surviving dealer in my town, but over in the next city the Cal Spa dealer moved in near a Softub dealer. Both are struggling. The irony is that the Cal Spa dealer called about leasing a building not far from our store - which I happen to own. He liked the place, but for some reason didn't feel good about leasing from me. Hmm.

The Diamonte dealer is closing his doors today or tomorrow. I'm going over to see if he has any inventory he wants to sell cheap.

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:58:39 am »
Chas,
Always a good idea to buy the stuff the bankrupt dealers are selling.  How do you know that the dealers are struggling?  I never understood how individuals find that stuff out about small businesses.  Do you talk to them?

Would have been funny if you were the landlord of your competition.  
Chris

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:02:44 am »
My dealer moved across the street to a larger facility in the fall and I just saw a sign go up for a new dealer in the unit beside his old spot.  The competition will be good for the consumer but I can't imagine why a dealer would setup shop across the street from an established Dealer.

I just hope my dealer is the one that survives.

Ray

If you're going to open a dealership in town you have to figure out how to get customers over to you. Advertising is costly, word of mouth takes time, etc. Then again you could just set up shop across the street from some established spa dealer who is large, advertises and already gets a lot of traffic. It has it's risks and it's rewards.

A dealer I work with had this happen. They're a long time dealer with an average sized store who had a very large dealer set up shop about 50 yards away, one small building in between so you can't miss seing both. It was very worrisome at first but over time it seemed to be better than if they'd have been 3 miles away, out of site. The other guy advertises constantly and anyone who is looking to buy invariably shops both which is fine in most ways because not everyone will hit every possible store but they probably always have these two on the list. Yes, he'd have been even happier if they had never opened the store at all but whacha gunna do.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:14:43 am »
At one time we had three hot tub companies within about a mile.  The area is a warehousing/ transportation center for shipping companies so warehouse space is probably more affordable than some retail areas located in more residential areas.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 12:59:27 pm »
There's a few places around here where there's a different spa store on each of the 4 corners of an intersection.

The best location I've ever seen was in England. As a  main highway enters this town the speed limit drops form 60 to 15. Right as you enter town there's a stop sign. GOOD LUCK seeing the stop sign, with all the signage from the only spa store for 50 miles. The stop sign is basically right in their front yard.

You can just see the road from this pic of one of his outside displays.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 01:46:46 pm »
it isnt so unusual to have another hot tub store jumps into abandoned hot tub store.  realtor probably, if one is involved, would start to call other hot tub retailers and tell them about the new site and how sucessful the former occupant was.

Car dealerships all cluster together, furniture stores too, malls have a lot of redundancies.  i am torn about clustering around other tub retailers.  i have a rec warehouse 1.5 miles from my store, which can help me and hurt me. some of their customers will never be mine and reverse us true.  the issue isn't so much that there is competition between dealers but if there is over satuation of competition.  i still think there is an over satuation of tub manufacturers,
which creates an over abundance of retail outlets.  i predict a shake out this year.  some manufacturers are going to have problems because there are too many spas chasing after a fixed pie of consumers.  i am hearing rumblings.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 01:50:15 pm »

If you're going to open a dealership in town you have to figure out how to get customers over to you. .

Rant and rave all over the internet like a violent retarded monkey on crack?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 01:50:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42