What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: We're stuck...!  (Read 10168 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: We're stuck...!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 06:48:57 am »
My wife and I have visited four dealerships so far wet testing and we’ve found at least one tub at each that we like in our price range.  So… I’m hoping to find some feedback on what the forum thinks regarding brand quality.  The tubs we’re considering are: Arctic Cub Signature ($7,500), Coleman 471 ($7,800), Sundance Hamilton ($7,500), and HotSpring Envoy ($8,800).  Since the HotSpring is about a thousand more than the others I’m leaning away from it.  

Anyway, these all seam like great tubs and feel great to my wife and I and each brand seems to have advantages and disadvantages.  All the salesman we talked to were very professional and none really bad mouthed any others.  In fact, the Coleman also mentioned that Sundance and Hotsprings were good brands and that we should check them out too before making a purchase.

Here are my impressions so far and I’d love to hear your feedback:

Arctic: Attractive real wood exterior, solid construction and dealer tells a great story, forever floor seems good, heat lock system makes sense to me as an engineer, dealer willing to negotiate pricing, can add more jets later, ozone option $700 extra

Coleman: Very comfortable design; not as many jets; includes ozone; seems very well built with steel frame and solid base; I like that the dealer has some models open so you can see inside; everything accessible by removing panels may make maintenance easy; exterior look is frankly not as nice as the others

Sundance:  Very beautiful tub; wife thinks the lighting on the 2007 model is cool; seem to have a great filtration system; price doesn’t include ozone but the option is not very expensive; seems well built; plastic waterfall looks cheap… like my kids would probably break it within a week; beautiful fake wood exterior is probably the best looking I’ve seen; salesman was good but got weird vibes from store manager which worries me a bit

HotSpring:  Everything about the external appearance looks first class but as an engineer it bugs me that their brochure and website doesn’t say much at all about the interior construction and neither would the dealer -- I’m sure the inside is high-quality too but I want to see!  moto-massage is unique; ozone and filtration system seem fantastic, overall it just looks like a great high-quality tub

I’m currently leaning towards the Sundance or Coleman but I’m just not sure.  Any advice???

I'm with Stu, I would check out Dimension One, Beachcomber, Marquis before I decided on any of the above mentioned brands. It sounds like you are approaching it the right way and not paying much attention to the marketing hype.

I'm not a big Coleman fan as I feel there insulation desing is not as effective as Arctic and the steel frame is a bit hoaky (rust and loose rattling rivets) And I also think there seating is a bit confining, but this is all just my opinion.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 06:48:57 am »

Trenden

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 10:57:36 am »

I'm not a big Coleman fan as I feel there insulation desing is not as effective as Arctic and the steel frame is a bit hoaky (rust and loose rattling rivets) And I also think there seating is a bit confining, but this is all just my opinion.

Could you please clarify if you’ve personally seen “rusty Coleman frames with loose rattling rivets”?  

I ask because my experience with zinc coating of steel (not in the hot tub industry) is that is does a decent good at preventing rust.  Also, I’m not sure why their rivets would work loose and rattle.  

The steel frame is one of the things I liked about the Coleman design over wood which expands and contracts and eventually rots… so if you’ve personally seen the things you mentioned vs. just imagining they might be issues I’d appreciate the info.  That just might influence our decision.

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 11:14:39 am »
Tony had very good advice. As did most posting. As for the metal in the tub verses wood, I think its a non-issue. The wood is treated and the metal is coated. You won't own it long enough for it to be a factor. 10 years, you will be in something else and someone that can't afford a new tub will be in the one you are buying. Kinda like a used car.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 09:29:17 pm by galen »

Huggieville

• Welcome to Huggieville
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 08:17:04 pm »
"Why don't we qualify this with the addition of one of the following phrases:

1. For Me.

2. IMO. "

IMO..........................Come on guys we are nitpicking here. Trenden asked for opinions on a Arctic spa, and I gave my opinion. I don't need to preface it with For me and IMO when I am the one saying what I did. Just because I am a newbie on this board and I dont have 5 stars under my name doesnt mean I need internet junkies nitpicking my respone. I post when I feel my advice is needed. I don't just post to post like a lot of other fools on this board do just to add to their post count. Get lives people.

IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:18:53 pm by Huggieville »

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 08:39:34 pm »
Please let me know if you have any questions on the Arctic Spa.  I have been a dealer of Arctic for 8 years now.  

The wood exterior is easy to maintain.  A customer of mine just sold there house, the new owner didn't want the Arctic Spa.  The spa was never stained in the 4 years.  I have pictures of a 4 year old spa before and after.  It looks close to brand new!  I can e-mail you a picture if you like.  

Also Arctic spas can now come with a No-Maintenance cabinet as an option.  

Michael

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 09:20:22 pm »
If someone says they wet tested and "xxxx" was the best, it seems pretty obvious to me that they mean IMO and "for me," without having to be so explicit...

What anne said.  Unless we want to quote the definition of a forum on every page: "An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding discussions and posting user generated content"

Sheesh.

Anyway - In_Canada stated it well, all 4 are reputable manufacturers, so take the dealer into account, any deals they may have as wmccall says, and make your choice based on personal preference.  Good luck!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »
What's the difference with the Artic O3 system and other on the market?   Why is Artic's 2x as much? Anyone know?
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 03:06:52 pm »
What's the difference with the Artic O3 system and other on the market?   Why is Artic's 2x as much? Anyone know?

No, but I sure would like to. That is one thing about my tub that I am unhappy with, and I think I was ripped off. I cannot blame anyone, as I *chose* to pay for it, but the value has to be extremely questionable. I did not research well enough what an ozonator SHOULD cost before delving in.
Dance like nobody's watching

Micah

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 03:17:51 pm »

No, but I sure would like to. That is one thing about my tub that I am unhappy with, and I think I was ripped off. I cannot blame anyone, as I *chose* to pay for it, but the value has to be extremely questionable. I did not research well enough what an ozonator SHOULD cost before delving in.
Anne,
You used the term ripped off. I hope you realize the differance between ozone units.  One brand that shal remain nameless offers an ozone unit that produces 3.2 mg per hour and sell it for about $150-$200.  They also offer a unit that produces 250mg per hour (almost 100 times stronger) and sell that unit for around $400 - $500.  Both look the same and to the average consumer. Some may feel that paying $500 is being "ripped off"  But to tell you the truth, selling you a "Cheap" ozone is the real "rip off"
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

rick

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 03:27:49 pm »

Could you please clarify if you’ve personally seen “rusty Coleman frames with loose rattling rivets”?  

I ask because my experience with zinc coating of steel (not in the hot tub industry) is that is does a decent good at preventing rust.  Also, I’m not sure why their rivets would work loose and rattle.  

The steel frame is one of the things I liked about the Coleman design over wood which expands and contracts and eventually rots… so if you’ve personally seen the things you mentioned vs. just imagining they might be issues I’d appreciate the info.  That just might influence our decision.

Yeah Tman,  we're all waiting with baited breath for your first hand experience with rusty Coleman frames and loose rivets.  

Please don't cut and run on us.

(thinking about selling my Coleman now,  since my frame is obviously rusty and has loose rivets.   Damm, what was I thinking when I opted for a metal frame instead of wood?)

Trendan, to be serious,  Coleman and the other brands you listed are all top'o'theline brands.   I used to have a fullfoam spa that developed a leak and lead to a rotten wood frame,  which is the reason my new spa is a Coleman,  plus the Coleman was by far the quietest spa of them all.  
This board used to be rampant with full foam lovers who would take digs at the likes of any thermal pane designed tub, but I see lately that is not the norm anymore.  But some people still like to get their "digs" in.

I believe in today's marketplace, that either insulation method works fine when you mention a top name brand.
Like others have said,  comfort of the seating should be your number one criteria,  but then again, if you're like me,  that wasn't much of an issue,  I'm easy about that,  I do tend to favor the more open type of seating arrangements though.  

Good luck in getting the right tub for you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:34:32 pm by rick »

Reese

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 04:39:15 pm »
...Just because I am a newbie on this board and I dont have 5 stars under my name doesnt mean I need internet junkies nitpicking my respone. I post when I feel my advice is needed. I don't just post to post like a lot of other fools on this board do just to add to their post count. Get lives people.
Wow! :o  If you state an opinion, you have to be ready for others to challenge, or qualify it -- especially when you state something as fact, and others don't think it is that clear cut.  Don't take it personally, or make it personal by responding to gentle criticism/clarification with name-calling.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 04:57:47 pm »
"Why don't we qualify this with the addition of one of the following phrases:

1. For Me.

2. IMO. "

IMO..........................Come on guys we are nitpicking here. Trenden asked for opinions on a Arctic spa, and I gave my opinion. I don't need to preface it with For me and IMO when I am the one saying what I did. Just because I am a newbie on this board and I dont have 5 stars under my name doesnt mean I need internet junkies nitpicking my respone. I post when I feel my advice is needed. I don't just post to post like a lot of other fools on this board do just to add to their post count. Get lives people.

IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, seems we were dissed. Somebody get their white glove out and give Huggiebear a cyber slap.... :-?

Though I disagree with the concept of you having to clarify the obvious of it being your opinion, I disagree less with your childlike response in anger. SO THERE!  :P  :) (I'm getting off the computer now and getting a life) For a lil while anyway...  ;)

Steve

anne

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 05:40:05 pm »
Dont let the children get to you, Huggieville. I think they missed their naps.

Welcome to the forum.
Dance like nobody's watching

Reese

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 06:44:18 pm »
Dont let the children get to you, Huggieville. I think they missed their naps.
This from the lady who lectured the rest of us on hostility! :o ;) BTW, given the number of stars under your name, Huggie may think you need to "get a life"! ;D

Huggieville

• Welcome to Huggieville
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 07:12:20 pm »
I definitely don't think that of Anne. She is one of the few unbiased posters on this board that has lots of good advice. Sure she likes her Arctic Spa as do most Arctic owners, but you don't see her on here everyday giving a sales pitch or telling everyone why they should buy one. She posts on here to give good advice and when people ask for advice on Arctic Spas, she tells why she has liked her Arctic spa, and that is all I was trying to do for Trenden when he had asked about that brand. Unfortunately there are some biased nit-pickers on this board, and it gets frustrating for some, that’s all.  IMO
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:13:14 pm by Huggieville »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 07:12:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42