What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: dealer "wet tests"  (Read 4240 times)

anne

dealer "wet tests"
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:13:35 pm »
This is a question for dealers, not that everyone can't pitch in....

I assume that for whatever brand you sell, you have "wet tested" every model that you sell...true, right? I cant imagine otherwise, but if not, why not?

How many other brands have you wet tested? I ask partially since certain dealers are passionate about their tubs' appeal, but have you actually compared your tubs to the competition- not just on paper, but for actual comfort/therapy?  
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

dealer "wet tests"
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:13:35 pm »

glfahlc

Re: dealer "wet tests"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
goooood question anne, i'll be lurking this post just to see the replies from all the dealers on this forum...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 01:51:52 pm »
This is funny, Anne. I asked the same question quite a while ago and got my head bitten off...If I remember one salesman said he had no interest in wet testing the competition...blah blah blah..(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE  ;)). So all the stuff about how it feels in a wet test (in spite of that being what everyone says should be the determining factor), is not part of typical sales trainning.
I like the experience that Mendo had because while he sells  Marquis, if someone asked him to compare the Epic therapy pillar to the Moto massage in the HS tub, he can understand what the customer is talking about. Or if someone came in to his store and said the Envoy did not fit me because it was too deep, but I loved the Moto, he could show them something in a Marquis tub that might satisfy them.  I am willing to bet, Anne that there are very few dealers or sales people that have wet tested other brands unless they have also sold the other brands at one time.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:10:14 pm »
I have not tested the Aria. It is too new. But I will.

I have wet tested all the other models except the Sumatran.

I will admit this - carefully - I have only wet tested three models of Caldera.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:45:27 pm »
Anne,

This is great question and as I am sure you read the thread where there seemed to be a bit of controversy about our/mine recent training where we had 4 other brand of tubs to west test. I can only speak for myself but I am confident that I am not alone in feeling this way, that I would never be comfortable going to test another brand on a dealers showroom floor, I feel it would be very unprofessional of me to do so, unless the dealer was a friend and knew I just wanted to check out their spas. The training I thought it was a great opportunity to have a chance to soak in the others. Its a funny thing but I am sure most assume you are going to be bias and if another was better not admit to it, but I have always felt that in doing so would be of no useful propose. I mean if I need to get better than I need to get better. lol....I guess I am rambling but the training we had with the chance to soak in the other spas was great and somewhat surprising as what I thought I would like in some cases did not turn out that way in other cases I liked things I would not have thought I would.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:33:22 pm by Mendocino101 »

anne

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 01:27:04 am »
Boni- I *thought* there was something similar a while back......and I remember a few people being a bit indignant about the question. I guess my point is that if you are going to talk about how GREAT moto is, or how great some other therapy is, you cant without knowing what it is up against.

Mendo- I totally see your point. I would not suggest that you "waste" the time of a competitor- that would not be classy.......but it still seems like you cannot fully even praise the qualities of what you sell without knowing what your customers are experiencing elsewhere. Dont have a solution for that.......but it seems needed.....
Dance like nobody's watching

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 01:29:56 am »
You have a good point 101. I'm sure it would be very difficult or embarrassing to wet test the competition if you were a dealer from another store. Have you ever had a competing dealer/sales person come in and wet test your spas just for kicks? I guess that would be a little uncomfortable.... :)
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 11:02:01 am »
I know they "shop" each other..It has been referenced on here and even at one dealership that I visited when I was looking.
I just think like Anne, it would be a great help to the sales people..
Maybe the dealers could come up with a yearly swap...a take your competetor to work day  ;D ;D..everyone could try out the competitors tubs.  ;D ;D ;D..Wouldn't you love to do that at Term's
place...It would have to be lots of fun, no matter your opinion of HS!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 08:50:22 pm »
I've never set foot in a competitor's store, I don't like it when they come in here and waste my time.  I had a very bad experience just last week with a couple of yahoos coming in here from a competing dealer.  If the goomers would just come in here and say "I'm Clem Caddidlehopper from Blowhole Spas and I was wondering if I could look around, maybe get a couple of brochures...I brought you some of mine."   That'd be fine and we'd be like giblets and gravy.  Unfortunately, some of them decide to be cute and just annoy me into getting the fidgets and that's partly why I've been on streak of cantankery lately, and I apologize for ya'll for that.

I see ZERO point in sitting in the competition's spas.  I'm not selling their spas, I'm not saying "the MotoMassage is better than the Brand X patented jet"...I'm letting people feel how NICE my jets are and encouraging THEM to wet test and see which they prefer.   I'm showing customers how WE do things.  The competition changes so frequently here, I'm not even sure what they're selling from week to week.  So VERY many times, folks just absolutely appreciate the offer of a wet test, they appreciate the HONESTY they receive here, and they appreciate our impeccable record of quality and customer service that they don't even feel a need to go anywhere else...and that's just fine and dandy with me. :)

I don't ever bring up a comparison with another brand unless I'm asked, and then I'll point out the differences.  I've never had a single shopper ask me if the Moto feels better than Brand X.  That's something they need to decide for themselves.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 08:57:13 pm »
OK, I need to clarify..It would be fun if he was in a good mood... ::)

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:20:10 pm »
 Unfortunately, some of them decide to be cute and just annoy me into getting the fidgets and that's partly why I've been on streak of cantankery lately, and I apologize for ya'll for that.

Term,

Sorry that someone pee'ed in your cornflakes but, I would like to know what a "fidget" is.  I know, I know its a stupid question but I'm from Canada and have never heard of a fidget :-?
Bullfrog 451

Pathfinder

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:43 pm »
Since I ran pool & spa divisions for  2 different & now competing dealers I have a pretty good sense of what the tubs are about  plus friends have tubs from the other competing dealers.

So I have tested  
Bullfrog451-662-682,
Hydropool638-738,
Beachcomber750E-720x-580-578-538,
CalSpa All classic series tubs Infiniti 602-Avalon 7'&8' tubs,
Jacuzzi 365,
Arctic Tundra-Avalanche,
Coast-cant remember model
Pacific  In which I sell now that I have my own store.  
I have yet to test a Sundance & I have no interest in testing a Catalina or an LA Spa to round out my competition.     I may soon get to see what all fuss about the HK 40 jet is from Marquis as we may pick them up.

All I can say is that they are all quite different in terms of massage but I truly hated how 3 of the tubs felt.  But thats just my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:29:01 pm by Pathfinder »

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:54 pm »
My bride gets da fidgets on occasion.  Takes Pepto. :-X
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:36:07 pm by GoBlue »
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 09:09:37 am »
I'm with Term on this. I have not ever been into a comprtitors store, except for 15 years ago when it was part of my training and VERY uncomfortable for me. Recently I have had several "shoppers" in. One had the nerve to pull out his digital camera and snap a few pics of my model graphic signs. Sorry 'bout his luck, I don't display prices HA HA jacka$$! I learn enough about our competition from customers calling for service on brands L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U and V. No joke we have that many competitors here in tiny little Reno. Fortunatly, we've been in business under the same ownership since 1978. That in itself smacks down many of our "competitors."
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:20:46 am »
Nothing you yourself can see hear or taste. Other folks can tell if you got 'em. I'm sure some one would notify you if you appeard to have the fidgits. It helps if you have a hill billy friend to keep an eye on you to see if you get them.

Term,

Sorry that someone pee'ed in your cornflakes but, I would like to know what a "fidget" is.  I know, I know its a stupid question but I'm from Canada and have never heard of a fidget :-?
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:20:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42