What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A Couple of HS Vanguard Questions  (Read 4944 times)

brnelson

A Couple of HS Vanguard Questions
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:45:11 am »
It feels like I am coming full circle. In my shopping, a week ago about the only thing I was sure about was to stay away from full foam insulation. However, after reading many posts here and looking at some quality Hot Spring tubs I no longer feel that way. It looks like there are many people on this forum that have had trouble free full foam tubs for years. Also the sales people confirmed for me that any Hot Spring leaks during the first 90 days of ownership that cannot be easily repaired will get you a brand new hot tub.

Now on to my questions.  I went to a couple of places to shop Hot Spring yesterday. $8,495 and $8,695 were a couple of prices quoted to me on the Vanguard with the usual accessories. These prices were OK but don't seem particularly low to me especially since from reading on this forum, February is a pretty slow month for spa sales. In talking with the sales people it sounded like they may be able to come down a couple hundred but no more. Anyone care to comment on these prices. One other thing. The place that had the Vanguard at $8,695 also had it available in endurol for $6,995. That seems like pretty big difference in price. Is this endurol something to stay away from. I did a search and cannot find much info on endurol. Thanks in advance, Bruce

Hot Tub Forum

A Couple of HS Vanguard Questions
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:45:11 am »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: A Couple of HS Vanguard Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:40:11 am »
I'm not a saleman, but I've owned two HS tubs and have been very satisfied with both.  The first was a 93 Prodigy, and now an 06 Envoy.

The endurol Vanguard tub is what they refer to as their "Classic" model.  Go to hotspring.com and choose the spa page.  On that page they list the 2007 spas.  Below that listing is a link "Classic Series".  You need to compare the two models since there are significant differences.  1 pump vs. 2 pumps, water feature, Moto massage vs DX Moto massage.  The classic series is very simlar in appearance to my old Prodigy.  The new tubs have a much more flashy and up-to-date look.  (I think a version of a classic model is also what was being sold at Costco earlier this year)  Take a look at the website and and compare the two models.  

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:10:55 am »
Vanguard

Classic Vanguard

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:21:42 am »
FWIW, I wouldn't spend $7K for a one pump tub even if it is a HS.
There are many tubs out there in that price range that have alot more to offer.
For instance, this beauty is around $7K. It's the J-365.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 09:45:40 am by WHY_NOT »

brnelson

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:26:50 am »
Thanks for the info. I originally thought the only difference was the shell material. I guess the endurol model is ruled out then. In regards to the prices do you find that you can haggle a bit to get them down? Any recent Vanguard purchasers that wouldn't mind letting me know what you paid?
                                                                      Bruce

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:34:16 am »
Thanks for the info. I originally thought the only difference was the shell material. I guess the endurol model is ruled out then. In regards to the prices do you find that you can haggle a bit to get them down? Any recent Vanguard purchasers that wouldn't mind letting me know what you paid?
                                                                      Bruce
Click on this link for reviews and prices of the Vanguard(there's quite a few). Just type Vanguard in the search box.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 09:35:47 am by WHY_NOT »

brnelson

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:59:00 am »
Why Not, that J-365 looks interesting. When I briefly looked at Jacuzzi's previously (briefly because at the time I wasn't really interested in full foam) I remenber the sales person telling me that only the more expensive Jacuzzi's came with a 5 year warranty. Would you know whether the J-365 has 3 or 5 years? Whatever I buy will have 5 years.
                                                                          Bruce

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 10:12:08 am »
There are many tubs out there in that price range that have [glow]alot more [/glow]to offer.

Could you expand on "a lot more"?  By "a lot more" do mean things like by-pass filtration?  

brnelson, as far as the prices you're being qoated, it depends on your location, but based on those prices, I think the dealers are being truthful in that they can only move a few hundred more Benjamins or so.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:10:31 am »
Why Not, that J-365 looks interesting. When I briefly looked at Jacuzzi's previously (briefly because at the time I wasn't really interested in full foam) I remenber the sales person telling me that only the more expensive Jacuzzi's came with a 5 year warranty. Would you know whether the J-365 has 3 or 5 years? Whatever I buy will have 5 years.
                                                                          Bruce

The J-365 is on the high end of the "3" series and has a five year warranty.  I believe all the Jacuzzis except those built for the big box stores have a five year warranty.  Anything in the 3 or 4 series certainly do.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:16:47 am »

The J-365 is on the high end of the "3" series and has a five year warranty.  I believe all the Jacuzzis except those built for the big box stores have a five year warranty.  Anything in the 3 or 4 series certainly do.
Thanks Tony.

10 year on the spa structure
7 years on the shell surface
5 years on electrical, plumbing, equipment, and controls

brnelson

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 11:41:10 am »
Thanks Tony!

Why Not, I think I saw a past thread that said you own a Jacuzzi. May I ask which model, how long have you owned it and would you buy another Jacuzzi?
                                                         Bruce

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 11:55:44 am »
Thanks Tony!

Why Not, I think I saw a past thread that said you own a Jacuzzi. May I ask which model, how long have you owned it and would you buy another Jacuzzi?
                                                         Bruce
I have an '06 J-345. I've had it for 4 months and would definetly recommend it.
It's a great tub at a very good price. If you have any specific info you'd like to know, I'd be happy to share my experiences thus far (which have all been great).
Here's a pic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:58:21 am by WHY_NOT »

brnelson

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:10:59 pm »
That's a great looking tub! Approximately how much less is the J-345 than the J-365? Is additional room the biggest difference between the two?
Would you say that the warranties are similar between HS and Jacuzzi?
Would you have an estimate of the increase in your electric bill with the Jacuzzi? My wife being the budget minded person that she is liked the Vanguard as it is supposed to be energy efficient.
I might just take a ride to the Jacuzzi dealer this afternoon.
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks in advance, Bruce

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 01:03:38 pm »
That's a great looking tub!
Thanks!

Approximately how much less is the J-345 than the J-365? Is additional room the biggest difference between the two?
My dealer prices their 300 series in $500 - $600 intervals. I paid $6K + tax. The 365 was $7k.
The 365 is 7'' longer on one side and sits 2'' higher and holds 40 more gallons. They also use a slightly different control pack(supposedly better than mine). I wet tested both and actually narrowed down my 8 dealer search to those two tubs. The only reason I didn't go with the 365 was b/c it was a little too much tub for just me.(I live by myself). They're basically the exact same tub exept the 365 has a foot dome.
Besides that they both felt the exact same.

Would you say that the warranties are similar between HS and Jacuzzi?
Yes I would.

Would you have an estimate of the increase in your electric bill with the Jacuzzi? My wife being the budget minded person that she is liked the Vanguard as it is supposed to be energy efficient.
Even better than an estimate. I did an experiment a few weeks ago when temps were below freezing for awhile. I tracked the kwhs my house used with the tub on for 24 hrs then off for 24 hrs. All variables were very similar each day. I'll find the thread and post it's link for you. The cost of operation if temps were below freezing for a full month would be $23.10 for 330 kwhs. Costs per kwh will vary from city to city. For details just go to the link. :)http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1170035650/15

I hope this helps,

Chad
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:26:09 pm by WHY_NOT »

brnelson

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:18:07 pm »
Maybe there have been price increases or maybe New England is higher but the J-365 is priced at $8,000 at my nearest Jacuzzi dealer in North Attleboro, MA and models below it are less by $500 increments. $7,000 for the J-365 would have interested me but at $8,000 I think I would rather have the HS Vanguard. I appreciate your info though. The J-300 series do look nice.
                                                                              Bruce

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:18:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42