What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover advice #2  (Read 2368 times)

watzup

• sipping suds
Cover advice #2
« on: February 21, 2007, 03:59:14 pm »
Cover is about 9 months old, lately I have noticed a heavy "vinyl" smell from the underside of it.  This has happened?? since winter has set in.  Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.  Dealer said to clean it with rubbing alcohol.  Have been using 301 on the top side.  Any suggestions, or is this kind-a normal?? :-X

Hot Tub Forum

Cover advice #2
« on: February 21, 2007, 03:59:14 pm »

watzup

• sipping suds
Re: Cover advice #2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 07:59:53 pm »
Somebody must have an idea.....102 reads and zip??

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:08:17 pm »
Use windex, I wouldnt use alcohol.  Windex is great

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:09:49 pm »
The underside sometimes gets a little funky smell.  The zipper areas and crevases can get a little mildewy.  A weak solution of bleach and water should clean it up.

anne

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 08:57:04 pm »
The underside sometimes gets a little funky smell.  The zipper areas and crevases can get a little mildewy.  A weak solution of bleach and water should clean it up.

That is what I do periodically (maybe 1x/month) on the underside of the cover, behind the headrests and anywhere that can me moist but not saturated with chlorinated water.
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:03:57 pm »
I use bleach and water too but I also read to superchlorinate the tub and use a rag dipped in the water to disinfect and kill any mold or mildew that is breeding.

I never thought of it myself but if 6 PPM chlorinated water can keep bacteria at bay in the water it will do the same above the water.

Pathfinder

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 09:08:24 pm »
are you leaving you cover open long enough to have the off gas from shocking escape

for you may be eating away at the under side of your cover.  I know people tend to be lazy in winter but its necessary to prolong your cover

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 04:13:27 pm »
Yes I do leave the cover off during the shock process.  I did wipe down the underside with a sponge using the shocked spa water last time and rinsed good with a garden hose.  Last inquiry to dealer, which he has been very good, also suggests to flip the cover over on its top and let sit in the yard and let the sun "bake" on it for a while.  Getting the cover off and out into the yard is not the easiest thing for me.  Don't know if putting 301 on the underside is a good thing or not.    :-/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:14:44 pm by watzup »

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 04:24:45 pm »
If your in a warm climate I really wouldnt suggest letting it bake in the sun.  If its possible  
for you get another person  and unzip the inserts  pull them out  wipe them down.

Then take your cover skin turn it inside out  and clean it with a bleach solution then wipe it dry.  last put you cover back together.   But do not let it dry in the sun  its like taking a wet cotton sweater and throwing it in the dryer -it shrinks.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 06:17:32 pm »
If your in a warm climate I really wouldnt suggest letting it bake in the sun.  If its possible  
for you get another person  and unzip the inserts  pull them out  wipe them down.

Then take your cover skin turn it inside out  and clean it with a bleach solution then wipe it dry.  last put you cover back together.   But do not let it dry in the sun  its like taking a wet cotton sweater and throwing it in the dryer -it shrinks.

Has anyone ever taken their inserts out and flipped them?  I have been tempted but afraid I couldn't get them back in. :-?

Pathfinder

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 07:53:04 pm »
its a 2 person process    i have many clients doin this  but i recommend not to leave them out too long  on older covers  for yes they will have a hard time going back in
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:50:12 am by Pathfinder »

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:14:35 am »
I will try removing the cover and remove the inserts,  been wanting to try that anyway.  Today we are having thunderstorms so will wait for better weather and report back to the group.  Thanks for the info.   :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:14:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42