What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Are GFCI's the cause of so much stupidity?  (Read 4422 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Are GFCI's the cause of so much stupidity?
« on: February 23, 2007, 08:47:28 pm »
I talked with an electrician today that told me he believes the world is getting overwhelmed with stupid people and he thinks GFCI's are to blame.

He said to me;

"in the old days people that used a hair dryer in the bath tub died!"

"folks that put portable stereos and TV’s on the side of the tub were taken out in greater #'s by natural selection but since the requirement of the GFI many of these stupid people have lived and mated with other stupid people creating more stupid people!?"

You know it's one theory!!! ;D

It did make me wonder if safety requirements in many areas have kinda screwed up the "natural selection" of people common sense challenged? Think about it, seat belts have saved many of those people that read books and talk on their cell driving down the road...Helmets and padding save snowboarders ;)

hmmm, ya gotta wonder.... :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Are GFCI's the cause of so much stupidity?
« on: February 23, 2007, 08:47:28 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Are GFCI's the cause of so much stupidity?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 09:09:31 pm »
The same people still talk on cell phones while driving, use gasoline in a kerosene heater, use the turkey fryer under the porch roof............................
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:10:24 pm »
For the most part I call it the "legislation of Stupidity." Every time somebody does something stupid then sues some third party because of the resulting embarasment, injury or death, we make a law making it illegal for stupid people to do stupid things. Riding a motorcycle with out a helmet is stupid, not illegal. Riding in a vehicle with out a seat belt on is stupid, not illegal, wanting you hot tub to teat to 110 is stupid, not illegal, not instaling a gfci on outlets near water is stupid not illegal. Now if you'll excuse my I'm going drive over to McDonalds with out my seat belt on to get a cup of coffee, I hope it's not too hot though!
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:14:03 pm »
wanting you hot tub to teat to 110 is stupid, not illegal
heh...was that freudian?
 ::)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:51:33 am »
I had a customer once that was one of those customers you wish you never sold...

She was a school administrator and her husband was an attorney. I got a call everyday from her asking something obvious or that I had already answered several times.

She called one day and said "Last night all 6 of us where in the spa during that bad lighting storm...is that OK?"

"....yes maam it just fine and even encouraged in your case!"
 ;) :o 8-)

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:05:01 am »
Most definassly!

heh...was that freudian?
 ::)

anne

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:13:02 am »
Riding a motorcycle with out a helmet is stupid, not illegal. Riding in a vehicle with out a seat belt on is stupid, not illegal,

In some states, those things are illegal. I see it as keeping children and teens safe from the poor judgement of stupid parents
Dance like nobody's watching

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 03:41:03 am »
For the most part I call it the "legislation of Stupidity." Every time somebody does something stupid then sues some third party because of the resulting embarasment, injury or death, we make a law making it illegal for stupid people to do stupid things. Riding a motorcycle with out a helmet is stupid, not illegal. Riding in a vehicle with out a seat belt on is stupid, not illegal, wanting you hot tub to teat to 110 is stupid, not illegal, not instaling a gfci on outlets near water is stupid not illegal. Now if you'll excuse my I'm going drive over to McDonalds with out my seat belt on to get a cup of coffee, I hope it's not too hot though!

It would be simpler to outlaw stupid people, but I suppose that'd wouldn't be PC enough, and not profitable for the ambulance chasing type of lawyer.  I say let natural selection take it's course.  Removing morons from the gene pool should gradually raise the intelligence level of mankind to the point we can eliminate all the unecessary warnings they put on products.  
 Anyone who needs a warning label is probably too stupid to understand one anyway.  Don't bring the TV in the shower.  Don't drink muriatic acid.    

Stuart's story about the lawyer and the school administrator (both of who I'd assume had at least 4 year college degrees-  mom and dad really got their money's worth forking over tuition money for those two, didn't they.) reminds me of a similar type of thing-

My wife worked in a Pharmacy a few years ago.  Some ditz called and asked if she had to adjust the time of day she took her birth control pills because of daylight savings time.  Now that's one person who should really stay on the pill.

Brewman

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 08:56:05 am »
Exactly Anne. My point is, it "isn't" shouldn't be illegal. It is most certainly poor judgement AND stupid. As has been pointed out here, natural selection, thinning of the heard as it were. Stupid (lack of comon sense, excercises poor judgement) is NOT and should not be illegal. It aint my fault soandso is a moron engaging in moronic activities and my liberty to be and act like a moron should NOT be limmited by laws protecting other morons.

In some states, those things are illegal. I see it as keeping children and teens safe from the poor judgement of stupid parents

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 11:23:37 am »
Buying non-ETL/UL listed hot tubs...

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 12:01:39 pm »

8-)
Buying spas over the internet and then going to a dealer for water quality issues....

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 06:21:24 pm »
EXACtly, very stupid, but not illegal.

8-)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 06:55:12 am »
In the construction industry safety has required us as employers to give more protection and supply more PPE to those that we are forced to keep from being stupid!! And as Stu has preached it has created breeding of stupid and more stupid!
Retired

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:59 pm »
In the construction industry safety has required us as employers to give more protection and supply more PPE to those that we are forced to keep from being stupid!! And as Stu has preached it has created breeding of stupid and more stupid!

As a somewhat famous comedian said and I quote (STUPID SHOULD HURT)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 10:35:23 pm »
Stupid does hurt, right in the wallet.  All those regulations and saftey warnings and such all cost the consumer.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 10:35:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42