2 (6.3%)
My dealer is no longer in business
4 (12.5%)
Chas click here.
2 (6.3%)
Still in business, but doesn't carry my brand
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Dealer Longevity  (Read 6102 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Dealer Longevity
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 11:51:25 am »
It wasn't Chas's duck that was stolen...It was mine and no we never got it back although have had reports that it was on a competitors roof in the next town. I questioned them but they denied it.

I always thought the result of the story was that you woke up the next day and found the duck's severed head in your bed? I think maybe you gave someone an offer they decided to refuse.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 11:51:25 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 11:57:41 am »
Don't most dealers get their spas direct from the factory, with no wholesaler inbetween? ::)  It seems to me that you all offer "factory direct pricing". 8-)

This company mentions on their radio ads that consumers can save thousands of dollars by buying direct from their factory outlet store because there is no middleman....unless, of course, you count them as the middleman.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

loosenupspas

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 01:55:56 pm »
the hot tub industry is a comparitively new industry.  

hot springs is a market leader in many ways, early on merged up with watkins and immediately understood the value of brand marketing.  to that end they have done an excellent job.  

on the other hand, a vast number of other manufacturers have not grasped the necessity of marketing even to today which is based on anything from indifference to lack of funds.  so as the industry sorts its self out dealers are going to come and go, which in the business world isn't that remarkable.  example can you buy a plymouth or an oldsmobile today?  sellers of things drop brands all the time, why would the hot tub business be any different?  

As a Coleman dealer for almost 5 years, i have seen spa dealers drop brands, almost like it is a business cycle.  However, i know many Coleman dealers who have stuck with the brand since the beginning, many in excess of 20 years.  It is not always easy to by loyal to a manufacturer, this i know personally, but we continue to remain as a Coleman exclusive dealer.  Coleman has worked very hard to break through the mass of spas out in spaland and is making a solid product  but it has taken time.  So that is really the personal issue, do you have the time to withstand a manufacturer that is searching for an identity that is viable and can survive in the mass market.  I believe personally you grow where you are planted.   The buyer has to be educated enough to ask the pertinent questions, and believe me i am asked all the time, what if you go out of business?  To which I reply, anything can happen to any size  business, look at Delta Airlines, MCI and Builders Square.  I point to the manfacturer Coleman and explain that the warranty is with them ultimately and if were run down by a crazy driver, you would speak to them directly and here is their 800 number and reassure them that they have been around for 100 years, so feel good that they are not going anywhere.  I offer to dial up the number so the customer can talk to manufacturer if they have any doubts.

I will predict right now that they will be a shake out of spa brands and a number will cease to exist over the next year.  But i like my chances, as Jimmy V once said,"There are two teams out there on the floor so i have a chance."  there are going to be many good quality hot tub brands, some are going to be national in scope others more regional.  but some are going to go vanish.   the single dominate player, the national champion per se, is always going to be challenged and that is good.  competition effects pricing and innovation and is the core of capitalism.

I will say that my brand coleman has wised up and is marketing its product line with greater finesse.  as an example look at our web site and the inbedded brochure and video.....a virtual feast for the eyes.......lol  http://www.colemanspas.com/content/show/home/start.asp

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »
I don't have a poll option since I bought used.  I visited every dealer in my area (Rochester NY) before I bought however, so I can give a quick rundown.

• Local Jacuzzi and Reflections (and pool/patio furniture) dealer has been around for about 45 years, pretty reputable company.
  • Local Caldera and D1 (and pool/patio furniture) dealer has also been around for 40-some years.  They just recently picked up Master as well.  Very reputable and rated well in the community.
  • Local Hotsprings, Cal Spas, and Viking (and pool, patio furniture, ventless fireplaces, bars, stools, driveway gravel, etc., etc.) dealer has been around for about 40 years, unfortunately.  They are very pushy, have the "huge blowout sales" with "spas starting at $1888", and were rife with misinformation.
  • Other dealers:
    • Clearwater and Arctic are both strip mall places, only been around for a few years.
    • One reputable dealer had Hawkeye, Sweetwater, Nordic and Sundance, none of which I cared for at the time.
    • Marquis doesn't even have an open showroom, you have to call and schedule an appointment (which sucks since I really like the design).
    • Another dealer had Coast, Nordic, and Four Winds, none of which I remotely liked.
    • There are a couple of others that sell Seamonkey-esque designs that I didn't stay 5 minutes in.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 09:14:21 pm »
I'll come clean.... we got hit by professoinals a couple months ago....stole a spa dolly trailer, Tiger River Bengal, cut fence, cut heavy chain, cut locks, smashed night safety lighting, hot-wired and highjacked our forklift...all while dodging every camera that records back to my home computer. Want the Bengal serial #?
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 09:18:53 pm »
I was looking at the local hot tub scene recently and it has changed a lot since I bought my tub.

The long term Hot Springs/Cal dealer seems to be doing well.
The long term Sundance/ Jacuzzi also seems to be doing well.
LA Spas opened a store last summer and I haven't made it out there yet.
The D1 dealer (when I was searching) has been carrying Coast for at least 3 years
I think D1 is available in some home improvement company I haven't checked out.
Some pool company was carrying Bull frog for a short time, but I don't think they are around anymore. (I'll check before this thread dies I'm sure)

As most know, I live in Columbus, Ohio which has about a million people in the metro area, the last I checked we have no Arctic or Beachcomber dealers within 50 miles.  

Have fun.

I bought my first spa in Columbus 7 years ago. We're in the market to buy our second one now.

The Hot Springs dealer is still the same, as far as I know- I'm not sure what other brands they carried 7 years ago.
The Sundance dealer also carried D1 and Marquis at the time. They have since dropped both, and have Jacuzzi and Nordic (along with Sundance, of course).  They have been around (and with Sundance, I think) for 18 years. As far as I can tell, neither D1 nor Marquis are in the Columbus area any more.

No Arctic or Beachcomber dealers around here. There's a Hydropool dealer up in Plain City. There was a Hawkeye dealer in Marysville, but they're gone. There was a Bullfrog dealer along "Hot Tub Lane" (Lyman Dr.), but they croaked.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:22:08 pm by KevinofOH »
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 08:40:22 am »

There was a Bullfrog dealer along "Hot Tub Lane" (Lyman Dr.), but they croaked.

I missed that. My original dealer was a long time part of "Hot tub Lane" right accross 270 from Dave & Busters.  They were in "Buckeye Spas originally, then The Hot tub store.  I just checked and Bull Frog is now 45 miles further west in Springfield.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:42:18 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 03:29:24 pm »

My dealer has been selling spas for about
20 years and selling CalSpas for about six years.

Great dealer!

;)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:29:42 pm by Zep »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 03:55:55 pm »
I'll come clean.... we got hit by professoinals a couple months ago....stole a spa dolly trailer, Tiger River Bengal, cut fence, cut heavy chain, cut locks, smashed night safety lighting, hot-wired and highjacked our forklift...all while dodging every camera that records back to my home computer. Want the Bengal serial #?

Ouch.  What area are you in?

sounds like they had inside help. Any new employees, disgruntled? recently fired?
07 Caldera Geneva

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 07:59:53 pm »
My dealer has been in the plumbing/bathtub business for 50+ years and has been carrying Jacuzzi hot tubs since their existence. 8-) Their main store is mainly for bathtubs and plumbing but they've had 2 seperate stores that only sell hot tubs for quite a long time now. They are very well respected in the St. Louis area.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:41 pm »
drew,
Connecticut. If an employee was involved, ex or present, there were other options they would have chosen.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42