What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine level  (Read 1929 times)

apple

Bromine level
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:07:48 am »
Here it is folks my first stupid water question.  I have a Marquis so I have the Spa Frog, but the guy who did my set-up told me I should be adding I oz. of chlorine per person after each use.  I did that after my first soak and the bromine level was off the charts.  I have not added chlorine since.  Should I be?  My reading today is 5.  Also, my CH is a little low at 100.  Should I try to adjust that and if so how?  

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine level
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:07:48 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Bromine level
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:19:17 pm »
Apple, If you are using the Frog, you have bromine in a cartridge along with a mineral cartridge inside the well on your tub.  Did he show you that? It is on the right side of the tub if you are facing the waterfall.  You DON'T need to add chlorine after each soak and I am just guessing that either the service guy didn't realize you were using the frog or he doesn't understand the bromine system.
Don't adjust any other levels until your bromine levels drop. You may need to pull that bromine cartridge for a little while to let the levels drop. Everytime pump #one goes on, some bromine is injected into the tub...so the levels won't drop unless you use the tub and stop adding bromine for a bit.
After you get the bromine levels down to a normal range, you will only need to add shock about once a week..depending on your frequency of use. So bromine is injected by the Frog system and shock kind of cleans up the bromine in the tub so that it can work again to tie up organic materials and sanitize the tub. I had a real hard time getting my water right with the darn frog, but now I love it.
If I were you, I would call my dealer and let him know the information that was given to you...because I think someone is confused or confusing (your set-up service guy) and he needs to get things straight.  I have a Bromine 101 sheet that my dealer made specifically for Marquis tubs using the Frog, I have to figure out how to get a copy to you...If you PM me with your email, I can scan it and send it to you (alternately I can fax it).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:19:52 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Reese

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:43:23 pm »
I'm with Boni, the set-tup guy must have assumed no Frog.  Combine that with his rec for way too much chlorine, even if that was your only sanitizer, and it appears you can disregard his advice.  Did he or you add a packet of granular bromine to build a reserve?  If not, the bromine reading you are getting may attributed to the chlorine you added, and will dissipate over the next day.  On the bright side, if the bromine reserve was established, the chlorine dose should have activated the bromine ions, which was necessary anyway.

apple

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:15:04 pm »
The only time i put in the chlorine was about three weeks ago, but I haven't really been able to use the tub until this week because I was sick.  I will be giving it its first shock tomorrow.  I have the bromine in the Frog set at about 2 1/2 now and level is slowly going down

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »
Apple, I think you can safely turn the bromine down to 2, that is where I keep mine. I have just emailed you my Bromine 101 in PDF format..I hope that works for you.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42