What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Help comparing tubs  (Read 11730 times)

Kirby2007

Need Help comparing tubs
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:54:04 pm »
I'm looking at a couple of Hot tubs and need some help choosing which is the best deal.  I'm looking for a good tub and have found a new 2006 Sundance Burlington 680 tub for $5000 which is fully foamed but I believe it might be on the lower end of Sundance tub line.  And I have found a used 2005 Artic spa Avalance Signature series for $5800 in good shape both come with covers, lift, CD-ozone, mood lights, waterfall.  The Artic spa is larger 92 x 92 x38, 440 gal compared to the Sundance 84 x 84 x 36, 330 gal.  The Sundance has full foam all around exept where the heater and pumps are and the Artic has foam on the outsides and bottom leaving the controls inside the insulation and the tub open for maintenance and upgrades if wanted down the road.  The Artic tub also has a special bottom that keeps out critters etc. and is made in Canada which has an actual lifetime warranty on the shell as compared to what US considers lifetime to be 7 years.  The warranty on the used Artic tub has 3 1/2 years left on the controls, motor etc.  Am I better off with the new Sundance or the used Artic?

Hot Tub Forum

Need Help comparing tubs
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:54:04 pm »

MarKee

Re: Need Help comparing tubs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:17 pm »
kirby:  I would check into the warranty on the Arctic.  Spa warranties usally are not transferrable, so once the original owner sells the spa, the warranty is voided.  Marquis and Beachcomber are the only companies I know of with a transferrable warranty.

Kirby2007

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:58 pm »
I have checked into it and they do transfer the warranty.  Thanks.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:40:10 pm »
re: "Marquis and Beachcomber are the only companies I know of with a transferrable warranty."

Did not know that.

anne

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:57:50 pm »
Hi Kirby!

Well I learned something new here. I have an Arctic, and assumed that the warranty  was not transferable. Good to know, though I plan to keep my tub for a long time.

Both of the brans that you are looking at are well regarded. You could read here for days about the pros and cons of full foam vs Arctic's "heatlock".......dont let that difference decide for you. You'll meet very happy owners of both brands here. I was unable to even wet test Sundance when I shopped (no local dealer), so I can offer no insight there, but I am very fond of my tub.

I looked at photos of the Burlington and the Avalanche. I was interested to see that in some ways they are a bit similar in conformation. Arctics tend to be very "sculpted" which people tend to love or hate. The Avalanche appears to be less sculpted than my tub, so that might not be a huge issue. If you can, wet test each....might be tough since they are used.....but it is the key to picking which one feels best to you. Sitting in one dry is probably better than nothing at all, but is just not the same as with it full of water and running.

Good luck!!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

Kirby2007

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:12:32 pm »
Anne, thanks for the feedback.  Should I be at all concerned about the fact that its used?  Would my cost to run it here in Minnesota be lower with Artics Heatlock system?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 11:57:15 pm »
http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/en/show_content/37/37/
Everything in the warranty refers to the original owner.  It does not state it is transferable.

For the prices you are stating I would recommend the Sundance.  I would pay less for a new tub.  
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

anne

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:08:53 am »
Anne, thanks for the feedback.  Should I be at all concerned about the fact that its used?  Would my cost to run it here in Minnesota be lower with Artics Heatlock system?

Boy, I really dont know the answer to either question. Seems that the biggest issues buying used is that you cannot know how well it was cared for in it's first life, and lack of warranty. If you have the warranty, and the tub looks well cared for, seems that you might get a better deal used, as with any big ticket item. As for heat efficiency, my understanding is that pretty much all of the "quality" tubs offer similar cost effectiveness. There really are tons of threads on this if you search back in the "dead horse" and the main forum. As a researching buyer myself just about a year ago I was asking the same questions as you are now, and the debate is a deep one. Hopefully some of the veterans of the forum will chime in here, too, but I'll repeat...."dont let that difference decide for you." You are already considering two very well made brands, so it become a question of taste, cost, and perhaps dealer.

As for comparing the prices, I'd see if you can find out what each of those would cost as 2007 models, and compare down from there. Is the Arctic from a dealer or private party? If private, why selling? (I assume that the new 2006 Sundance is at a dealer, even though it is last years model)

My personal experience with my local Arctic dealer, and I have also heard others echo this experience, was that prices are way negotiable. I'll PM you the details of my purchase.
Dance like nobody's watching

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 07:29:18 am »
Arctic's warranty specifically states that the warranty is for the origianal owner only.  It may be that the dealer is offering some kind of protection.  In that case, the protection offered is only as good as the dealer.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:51:21 am »
When someone says a warranty is "transferable"...be sure and ask the next question.

HOW MUCH?.....$$$$$?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:18:37 am »
Hey Kirby,

As others have said, both Sundance and Artic have very good reputations. And although one employs full foam, and the other a thermal lock design, for the most part, both of these tubs properly working with a good cover will cost/provide very similliar insualtion rates.  So I wound't let that be the deciding factor. For me the big differenance is the Artic will be cycing on and off during the day, while the full foams dosent.

The Avalanche is a bit bigger, (8 inches in each direction)  but the Signiture series line is about the same in jets and pumps.  The Sundance is 320 gallons (but smaller in dimesions), while artic is 490 gallons and a bit bigger.  

I'd wet test. This may tell you one is right out of the question.

Also when comparing the costs, does the artic have and ozone system?  What conditions is the cover, steps and lifter? Does the Sundance price include delivery? (Don't underestimate this when buying a used tub.).

I'm leaning towards the Sundance (if it fits you in the wet test) at this price. To get into a used artic, I'd personally would like to see the $ drop a bit to cover the lesser warrenty, defray delivery and such.
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:59:24 am »
I have checked into it and they do transfer the warranty.  Thanks.

My guess is that you are looking at an Arctic from the dealer and that the dealer is planning to honor the rest of the warranty because I really don't think it's truly tranferable. If that's the case you would need that in writing because the original warranty would not back you. As far as the insulation, ability to keep out critters, so-called "lifetime" warranties and any of the other things said, I wouldn't put much stock in one having an advantage over the other. It all comes down to one how each work for you relative to comfort, style, size etc. versus the fact that one is new and one is not. sounds like viable options either way.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mygrandeerocks

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:24:42 pm »
I would definitly go with the Sundance tub in your climate!!! Arctic spas will cost you more to operate in that climate no matter what the dealer tells you.  Even a lower end sundance offers full foam and a strong warranty that you're sure you get!  That spa has been a pretty big seller across the country because of all the features you're getting for the small amount of money.  If you are trying to stay in that price range you might also want to consider a tiger river bengal.  It's made by hotspring and one of the most energy smart spas available.  The Sundance would be a great choice too.  Either way get yourself into hot water asap!!!! I just got a new Grandee and I love it

Reese

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 05:49:21 pm »
I would definitly go with the Sundance tub in your climate!!! Arctic spas will cost you more to operate in that climate no matter what the dealer tells you.  Even a lower end sundance offers full foam and a strong warranty that you're sure you get!  That spa has been a pretty big seller across the country because of all the features you're getting for the small amount of money.  If you are trying to stay in that price range you might also want to consider a tiger river bengal.  It's made by hotspring and one of the most energy smart spas available.  The Sundance would be a great choice too.  Either way get yourself into hot water asap!!!! I just got a new Grandee and I love it
:o That's a lot of sales hyperbole from a "happy owner". ::) Does your dealership carry both Watkins and Sundance? ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:22:10 pm by Reese »

Kirby2007

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 09:12:03 pm »
I'm not aware of this Dealer selling Watkins, I've never heard of them.  They only have the one Sundance Burlington 2006 left for $5000 and I looked at a Sundance Caymen 2006 for $5800 today not sure if the Caymen is worth the $800 more but its the 780 series rather than the 680 has better jets and filtering.  I will probably wet test them to see which I like better.  I'll we test the Artic as well.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 09:12:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42