What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Q on Adding chemicals after Initial Fill  (Read 1916 times)

beach

Q on Adding chemicals after Initial Fill
« on: February 13, 2007, 12:01:43 am »
The dealer printed out a list of chems that i need to add to the tub after initial fill (485gal tub).  The first one is Total Alk Increaser.  The instructions say to divide the total dose (1 cup) into 3 separate applications and wait an hour between each application.

Should I run the jets for the full hour between applications or is 20min good enough?

Should I leave the cover open fot the full hour or can i close it up between applications?

Is it ok to wait 24 hours before adding chlorine or some other sanitizer (i want to go to bed now :-))?

Thanks for the tips!

Hot Tub Forum

Q on Adding chemicals after Initial Fill
« on: February 13, 2007, 12:01:43 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Q on Adding chemicals after Initial Fill
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 06:33:42 am »
The dealer printed out a list of chems that i need to add to the tub after initial fill (485gal tub). The first one is Total Alk Increaser.  The instructions say to divide the total dose (1 cup) into 3 separate applications and wait an hour between each application.  

I'm guessing he tested your water.
It's always best to add little doses every couple of hours opposed to large doses more frequently. I wait till the next day before adding a second dose to my water most of the time.
TA increaser is Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda)

Should I run the jets for the full hour between applications or is 20min good enough?
20 minutes is fine.

Should I leave the cover open fot the full hour or can i close it up between applications?
When just adding BS, close her down after the 20 minutes. Now if you were adding a super shock dose of dichlor, you might want to wait an hour.

Is it ok to wait 24 hours before adding chlorine or some other sanitizer

I'm not sure on this one but if I had to guess I'd say probably not a good idea.

Reese

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:16:30 pm »
When just adding BS, close her down after the 20 minutes. Now if you were adding a super shock dose of dichlor, you might want to wait an hour.
What is the reason for leaving the cover open after applying baking soda? :-?

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 12:20:32 pm »

More $$$ for the power company.............

That's the only reason I can think of.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 12:21:21 pm by Spiderman »
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:57:26 pm »

More $$$ for the power company.............

That's the only reason I can think of.

Wow, I'm sure beach is really happy with all the great advice you guys gave him. :)

Reese

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:13:17 pm »
Wow, I'm sure beach is really happy with all the great advice you guys gave him. :)
I was just curious about the baking soda/cover issue. :-/  I'd never heard of leaving it open after anything other than chlorine/MPS, but given your response, it seemed you had.  I didn't see any point in contradicting you until you had a chance to explain.  If you wouldn't mind, why did you recommend leaving the cover open?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:14:12 pm by Reese »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 06:48:51 am »
I was just curious about the baking soda/cover issue. :-/  I'd never heard of leaving it open after anything other than chlorine/MPS, but given your response, it seemed you had.  I didn't see any point in contradicting you until you had a chance to explain.  If you wouldn't mind, why did you recommend leaving the cover open?
I have no scientific reason for leaving it open. I read over beach's post again and it seems that I thought he was asking if he should keep the cover open for 20 minutes or one hour after applications. That's why I just said to "close her down after the 20 minutes." After reading it again I would have said just dose and close as that's what I do when adding + or - chems. I don't know what I was thinkig. :-/

I'm sorry for the confusion everyone. Please accept my apology and thanks for paying close attention to the details Reese. Nobody can get anything past you. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 06:48:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42