What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I Need Help!  Ready to Buy.  (Read 10428 times)

Big1Dog

I Need Help!  Ready to Buy.
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:32:33 pm »
I'm ready to buy an outside spa.  I'm in Sotheran California.  Looking for 5-6 person seating.  Mostly to soak and socialize.  I'm a big guy and I dont think I would like formed seating, looks too narrow.

I have no idea of price.  Would like an area company in case of problems.  CalSpa is not an option as I have heard too many service and warrenty problems from owners.

I know that price is not much of an indicator of quality.  Please suggest some spas that I might consider.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

I Need Help!  Ready to Buy.
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:32:33 pm »

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: I Need Help!  Ready to Buy.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:29:39 pm »
Did you have a price point in mind?  There's such a wide range; knowing what you're looking to spend will help narrow the field significantly...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Big1Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:32:38 pm »
Not really.  I do know that I don't want to pay $10000.00.  Like to stay arround $5000., but I could be kidding myself or looking at Costco.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:03 am »
So far you have mentioned that you are big, and that you would like a SoCal company, and that you want to pay $5K. Please don't take this the wrong way, but contrary to the title of your post, you are NOT ready to buy - not yet. I have asked this question for two decades, and I'll ask you now: Over the next fifteen years, how many spas do you see yourself buying? It's ok if the answer is more than one - you may have a move planned in X years or you may want to start cheap and dump that one when you change jobs next year or whatever. But for most folks, it is worth taking a little more time in the shopping to assure a lot more time in the soaking.

I would say that you need to keep putting together your list of things which would be important to you. You may discover that you could be very happy with a mid-line unit from a major manufacturer, or you may very well do fine with a cheapy spa from a big box. But know before you go -

Take some time to wet test, and if you can, talk to some owners. Keep in mind that most owners have only one spa's worth of experience, but it can still help you to hear what their story is.

For example - having sold these things for twenty years, I have found that comfort, performance (including cost of electricity to heat and filter) and style have more to do with long-term enjoyment than price. You only pay for it once - unless you go cheap - then you pay and pay and pay...

So go look at the big brand tubs. That would be - in no particular order - Sundance, Jacuzzi, Caldera, HotSpring, Tiger River, etc.

Other will chime in with favorites - that's what makes this country great - but you also need to focus on what is available locally so you can get the real important part of any spa purchase - a good dealer to handle the after-sale stuff.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Big1Dog

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:53:46 am »
Well, I may not know what I want, but I know what I don't want.

I don't want a spa with the guts covered in foam, I don't want a bunch of small plastic worthless jets, I don't want a shell that shines like cheap bronze, or gold or any other metal, I don't want barriers to comfortable seating and I don't want to be insulted by a guy that sells overpriced spas.

The public turns to forums like this for help because we can't trust sellers and we don't need to be talked down to by self proclaimed "experts". Thanks for you thoughts, anyway.

But thats just me...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:10:49 am by Big1Dog »

autoplay

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:12:19 am »
Chas along with others here,are truly experts,willing to help out anyone along the lines of spas/hot-tubs. I have alot of respect for Chas,as he tells it like it is,and does so in a professional,humble manner!

This might not be the forum for you BIGDOG1 as,you seem to think people/sellers here are gonna steer you in a direction that YOU feel is wrong. Hopefully I read this/you wrong?.?

As Chas and others will tell you,WET_TEST any spa you are considering. Is comfort for the lifetime/duration of your ownership,worth it to ya as far as spending a few extra bucks,if it comes down to that?

I'm 6' 1"  and I'm very comfortable in a Caldera.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:14:12 am »
I don't want a spa with the guts covered in foam, I don't want a bunch of small plastic worthless jets, I don't want a shell that shines like cheap bronze, or gold or any other metal, I don't barriers to comfortable seating and I don't want to be insulted by a guy that sells overpriced spas.
The public turns to forums like this for help because we can't trust sellers and we don't need to be talked down to by self proclaimed "experts". Thanks for you thoughts, anyway.
But thats just me...

Sounds to me like you have been over at one particular web site that does not sell spas with the guts covered in insulating, supporting foam. But to me the insulation method chosen by a particular company should not have any bearing on the brand you buy. What should be important to you is how comfortable you fell on your backside and in the dealer who is going to take care of you after the sale. Those mentioned above are good and I would add Arctic and Dimension One.
Retired

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 06:12:26 am »

I don't want a spa with the guts covered in foam, I don't want a bunch of small plastic worthless jets, I don't want a shell that shines like cheap bronze, or gold or any other metal, I don't barriers to comfortable seating and I don't want to be insulted by a guy that sells overpriced spas.

But thats just me...
Chas offered nothing but great advice to you and that's how you respond.  >:( Good luck getting anymore advice from anyone here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:13:51 am by WHY_NOT »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:10:35 am »
I think I understood both Dig Dogs post, and Chas reply.

Big dog is ready to buy. ie meaning time to stop daydreaming about it and start getting serious about it. Chas, was saying there's a bit more work to be done before writing the check, I think Bigdog completly understand's that, and is why he's here.

BigDog, have you looked at any tubs yet? If so, what's your take so far?

Dont worry about shiney bronze color shells, All the quality manufactuers offer a variety of colors, so you wont be limitied by that.   And yup,  a bunch of shiney do nothing irratating jets? of course not. Once again, the quality manufactuers all offer a great variety of quality jets. You wont have a probelm there either.

Being a big guy? Getting a tub that fits? Very important, and once again You're gonna find a pantload of tubs to choose from there.

I really woudn't worry about the"Full Foam"  issue.   It's a non issue with a quality tub, and the person who conviced you otherwise, was probably a salesman who was trying to sell you an overpriced spa. The fact is, you can find great quality with a foam spa, or not.  

Price. Ouch. 5K is on the low end of the scale for qualitytubs that offer seating and a decent massage for 5-6 seats and can accomodate a large guy. A few grand more would open a lot more possibilities.  Is the $5K drop dead top of the budget?

As I mentioned,  don't fret the foam.    And wet testing. Since your big, and you have concerns if the molded seating may be uncomfortable, you are going to need wet test, and wet test some more.

Off the top of my head, no full foam tubs would include: Artic, Coleman, and I want to say Jaquzzi (?). I would start by taking a look at what's in your area  perhaps with these makers?

I'd like to also suggest Caldea, Hotsprings and  Sundance. These are full foam tubs though, but as I said, I think you'll do well to not get too caught up in the whole FF issue.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:15:47 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 10:16:41 am »
Looks like your in the Irvine area? You should have plenty of choices in your local area to drive to and find what is right for  you.   I don't think anyone in this thread was talking down to you or were you referring to salesmen in general?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 12:39:45 pm »
I could be way off base, but isn't California more expensive than, say, Wisconsin, when it comes to luxury items (like food, housing, hot tubs, etc)?? If $5k is the most you want to pay, and you don't want a "cheap" tub, I'd suggest looking at used units. They are out there, even high quality ones. You might not get your pick of shell colors, options, etc, but it'll be far easier to get a better tub for less bucks than trying to make "the deal of a lifetime" on a new one.
Just my $.02, as usual.
RIP C-Rod

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:07:52 pm »
Please accept my apology if I came across as talking down to you.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Big1Dog

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 10:29:25 pm »
Thank You everyone, Chas too.  I live near Redlands, Ca and acutally can afford to spend much more.  I just won't be shamed into spending too much.  We have several Spa Dealers and manufactures in the area.  

The not full of foam just sounds logical to me.  Service issues would be easier.  Anyway,  I guess that I'm old school on the tub.  No stereo, no pop-up tv, etc.
Basic, reliable and things that work right.  A place to soak and relax.  

If you get to half the price of an in ground,  might as well go all the way.

Vanguard

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 11:02:09 pm »
The not full of foam just sounds logical to me.  Service issues would be easier.  Anyway,  I guess that I'm old school on the tub.  No stereo, no pop-up tv, etc.
Basic, reliable and things that work right.  A place to soak and relax.  

If you get to half the price of an in ground,  might as well go all the way.

Don't think of spending a little bit more as being shamed into buying a good quality tub.  These things are not cheap.  With this industry, you do get what you pay for.  When you go to the 5K range, you start making trade offs.  Some of those are, lower quality, still a bunch of jets; others would be fewer jets, still good quality.  You'll have to make that decision.

Others have chimed in on the full foam issue.  I'll be the first to admit, when a leak occurs in full foam, it can be a pain in the rear end.  However, keep this in mind.  Many of the top manufacturers use full foam.  If they had problems with leaks, you can bet they'd stop doing it.  My experience is mostly with Hot Spring.  They could quit using foam and make the spa cheaper.  If they had issues with leaks, I don't think they'd offer the warranty they do.  

It is my experience that the foam actually encases the plumbing and holds it more secure.  The plumbing is quite heavy when it has water in it.  Now add the rapidly moving water and the vibration that comes with it.  When you put the weight, movement and vibration together, not having foam encasing the plumbing can actually allow joints to come loose.  And yes, it would be easier to repair.  

I've been around these things a long time (20+ years).  My opinion is don't let this be an issue to you.  Find a spa you're comfortable in and a dealer you trust and a brand that will stand behind their product.  You may end up spending a little bit more now, but you'll save that in the end.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Big1Dog

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:10:39 pm »
OK, the Hot Springs Grandee looks like it would fit most of my needs.  Whats a good price, and does anyone know of similar spas?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:10:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42