What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet test Calspas Avalon and Hotsprings Envoy  (Read 5167 times)

dunerunner25

Wet test Calspas Avalon and Hotsprings Envoy
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:34:16 pm »
Thanks to all who commented on my last question post.
Here are some results of your great leadership and influence.

The Wet Tests:

Hotsprings Envoy
The Envoy is a beautiful spa!! Pearl finish and cool waterfall with three round streams and light up LEDs.  I jump in the lounge seat and the Moto Jet works its magic.  It ran up and down one side of my spine then the other as the neck jets (which were perfectly placed) pounded my neck and upper back.  By far the best seat I tested today... a major selling point!! A close second is the bench seat across form the lounge. It also hit key points on my back and would be good for the MRS.
The bad news:
The tub is hard to step into from all sides.  I almost slipped on the leg contours of the lounge as I stepped into it.  All the body fitting contours in this tub would make it hard for a 3 year old to walk around in it.  This spa is the "ISH" when it comes to therapeutic purposes.  I would love to own this spa if I didn’t have small kids.  

Calspas Avalon 857L
As I walk up to the spa I notice right off that the lounge seat does not have the Moto Jet (my heart fills with sorrow, LOL).  I slide into the lounge seat as the dealer turns on the LED light show.  No joke, the lights go all the way around the tub!! It looked like a seen from “Boogie Nights”.  I notice that the lounge is flat enough that I didn’t slip as I got in the tub.  The jets were strong, adjustable, and interchangeable with other jets in the tub.  The volcano jet was a cool option.  Anywhere you sat in the tub you would get a foot massage.  A user family option in the Avalon is the “Kool Seat”.  This seat is off to the right of the lounge and is just like a kiddy step with butt and leg jets.  This option also makes it easier for a child to step into the tub from that side without dropping off into the abyss. The 07’ Avalon waterfall was the most realistic out of all the spas I looked at today.
Bad news:
The neck jets on the bench seats left something to be desired.  When the dealer turned them on they just sprayed and splashed everywhere. I played with the knobs trying to get the jets to work right but it always seemed like they were ether to week or to messy, not very comfortable.

I learned today that I am personally looking for a more “all around” family oriented spa.  A spa my young family can enjoy with me.  Although my quest is not over yet… soon to come is a D-1 and a Sundance wet test!!! Stay tuned…

If anyone knows of a spa with both therapeutic and family options I should check out next…let me know!!! Dunerunner25
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:34:40 pm by dunerunner25 »

Hot Tub Forum

Wet test Calspas Avalon and Hotsprings Envoy
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:34:16 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Wet test Calspas Avalon and Hotsprings Envoy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:44:40 pm »
I think all spas have those options. I also think that a lounge limits the amount of family friendliness a spa has. Of course this comes from a owner of a non lounge spa. When I bought mine it came with or without a lounge, I noticed that the lounge did take up too much room - 2 extra seats.

I will say look at as many spas as you can and get the one that fits you and your lifestyle the best. I bought a 8x8 spa because I have a family of 4 ... only I use it! Who knew!! Of course as my sons get older ...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 09:04:07 pm by Vinny »

dunerunner25

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:57:09 pm »
Humm...Good point on the lounge.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 08:58:42 pm »
Dunerunner:

I have an 06 Envoy which I just love to death, but I do agree with you that the entry over the lounge seat is difficult to say the least.  After two months of use, I still have to really be careful getting in and out of the spa.  This is the only drawback I have found with the tub.  When I saw the display Envoy at the dealer, they were using two sets of steps; one from the front over the lounge, and the second on the right side of the tub onto the seat next to the lounge.  Unfortunately, my setup doesn't allow me to enter my spa from the right side, but its something to consider if you have that option.

Good luck with the wet testing!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:05:27 pm »
Humm...Good point on the lounge.

I am another non-lounge spa owner. My kids were 3, 5 and 6 when we got it and that was certainly the way to go because they treated it like a small swimming pool. Now they are 11, 14 and 15 and sometimes have friends in so I still would go non-lounge if we got another. To me, the openness of a non-lounge spa is ideal but to each his own. In 10 yrs from now when they're out of the house (supposedly) I could see maybe getting a lounge spa if it's just me and the little woman though I doubt it would work for her anyway (she's noly 5'1˝").

I know the lounge is appealing but based on your points about having room for the kiddie(s) to roam, I think you should at least try a non-lounge spa at each of these dealers as well and give it thought.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:20:30 pm »
If you are not stuck on the lounge, try the Hot Spring Vanguard.  If you don't mind a stereo and want the lounge and cool off bench try the Aria.

Aria is Hot Spring's 30th Anniversary spa.  Our customers are loving the comfort.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Brookenstein

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:33:08 pm »
I have an 05 Envoy.  My kids are 2.5 and 7.  We have had no problems with the littlest getting around in it.  He can even touch in the middle now and not be under water.  We do not enter the tub at the lounge, we enter it from the soothing 7 seat.  Even the kids get in with no problems.  The kids swim around and have a good ol time.  I sit on the knees of the lounger and put my legs out across and he does the 'limbo' underneath them, lol.  Our lounger is the most used seat.  I have to kick the mr out of it, so that I can use the moto.  My favorite seat is the one directly accross from the knees of the lounger.  While there isn't a higher up cool down seat (and I missed that at first) I don't think my kids would actually sit long enough to use it.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 09:38:17 pm by Brookenstein »

dunerunner25

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 09:45:38 pm »
Man I really liked that envoy today... I didn't try entering the spa from the bench.  Price was 1000$ more but it would be worth it for the massage.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 10:05:34 pm »
If you are not stuck on the lounge, try the Hot Spring Vanguard.  If you don't mind a stereo and want the lounge and cool off bench try the Aria.

Aria is Hot Spring's 30th Anniversary spa.  Our customers are loving the comfort.

My next spa might be a smaller one than I have now, so I went to look at this one.  Looks really nice, but I got to add, HS has added so much flash crap that the site really crawls.  I'd hate to be a dial up user trying to see anything.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dunerunner25

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:15:02 am »
Dude, switch to DSL or cable!! You wont be sorry.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:15:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42