What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1-Month Update:  Artesian Island Antigua  (Read 10691 times)

brentp

1-Month Update:  Artesian Island Antigua
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:46:17 pm »
I thought I’d provide a review of this SPA, after having it for a month.  Sorry in advance for the long winded post, . . .

Background leading up to the purchase:

My wife and I purchased our first and only hot tub 14 years ago and have always enjoyed it.  We always empty it July/August of every year.  This fall, during our refill, it was apparent that it needed a new heater and control pack.  In looking at our options, we opted to ‘upgrade’ versus repair this time around (more on this in the next section).

So, . . . a few weeks of research, . . . and a few weeks more looking at and dry testing units from every Spa dealer around, . . . we were more confused then ever.   :)

However, we had narrowed down the specific things that we wanted in a SPA.  We had found a number of candidates that came close to fitting these needs, but weren’t ‘perfect’ (I wont bore you with all of that).  We also went and looked at a 3 year old used Artesian Opal.  Darn thing didn’t work properly, . . . but,  . . . we really liked the Artesian set up and the brochure had a unit that fit our needs.  So, . . . off to the nearest Artesian dealer.  They had limited Artesian units in the showroom (they now push Vita & Reflection lines hard), but they did have a Gold series unit close to what we wanted that we could dry test.  Felt very good.  Again, we really like the design and concept.

After carefully looking at the line drawings for the Island Series Antigua, it was obvious that it fit our deck layout and requirements perfectly (size, control location, location & direction of view for the main seats, types of seats, pumps, etc.).  We decided this was the right SPA for us.  There would be no way to dry or wet test an Antigua from this dealer, . . . but this was it!  We were comfortable with our research.  So, the unthinkable to many of you, . . . we decided if the deal was good, we would go for it even without a dry or wet test.  The deal was very good and the order was sent!

This was early-Nov, . . . and delivery was promised for 3 to 4 weeks (perfect, well before the holidays and likely the first snow)!  After a bunch of delays, phone calls, and a threat to cancel the order, . . . we finally were scheduled for installation 6+ weeks later – right after Christmas.  

And now for the review, . . .

We got a 2006 Artesian Island Series Antigua configured with 42 jets which has 2 – 4.8 hp pumps with 2 ‘zones’ each.  This SPA is about the same physical size as our old one, although it is deeper with a ‘splash’ zone when lots of people are in.  When I mentioned earlier that we decided to upgrade from our ‘old one’, . . . well, this is a MAJOR upgrade.  Our old hot tub had 10 jets – total, a single 1 ½ HP pump, and air was injected into the tub through small holes via an air blower.  

Bottom line, . . . we love this SPA and it is everything we thought it would be.  The lounger is my favorite location (it was in our old Spa too).  The thigh and foot jets are a great addition from what we use to have.  The ultra-message seat with wrap around neck pillow and the 4 above water neck & shoulder jets is a superb hydro-therapy seat.  This is my wife’s favorite seat.  This seat sits just a bit lower than the other seats and we both fit nicely into it.  I’m 6’ 4” and can slide in here without feeling tight.  Only down side on this seat is that it is hard to hear others when you are in it with the neck jets on.  It really is a seat you sit in for therapy, . . . then migrate to the other seats for ‘fun’ and conversation.  The other corner seat is a more normal Spa seat and is excellent for relaxation.  So is the seat between the two corner seats.  This middle seat is actually a pleasant surprise to us.  The jets are spread wider, and gets the back of your arms in addition to your back.

A couple of other things to discuss.  Using venturi control values for air injection versus a direct air blower is a huge improvement.  With the Spa located outside, we hardly ever use to use the old air blower except to cool the Spa down if it got too hot.  The cold air coming in during the winter was not pleasurable.  Injecting air into the water jets is a much, much better approach!

Also, our old SPA was either on or off.  You could shut individual jets down, . . . but other than that, one had little control of water pressure (and we now know how little pressure it really had).  Having zones and diverter valves is new to us, . . . and we love them.  Being able to ‘dial in’ your pressure via the diverter valves combined with the venturi air injection is fantastic.  We each have our own preference.  My is at about a 50/50 split between the zones controlled by that pump, . . . and surprisingly, my wife will take pretty close to the full force (way too much for me).  

All in all a very good purchase.  We are fortunate that even without the wet test of this Spa, it completely meets our needs.  We love this ‘upgrade’!   :)

Hot Tub Forum

1-Month Update:  Artesian Island Antigua
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:46:17 pm »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: 1-Month Update:  Artesian Island Antigua
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 02:10:09 pm »
Nice post, I find it very interesting when a seasoned Hot tub user "upgrades" to a new tub and look forward to the day I have to (as long as it's 14 years + like you)  What was the tub you replaced, did the dealer remove it for you?  Have you altered your chemical routine with the new tub?

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

brentp

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:47:52 pm »
Nice post, I find it very interesting when a seasoned Hot tub user "upgrades" to a new tub and look forward to the day I have to (as long as it's 14 years + like you)  What was the tub you replaced, did the dealer remove it for you?  Have you altered your chemical routine with the new tub?

Ray

Thanks.

Our old tub was put together by a local Spa store.  He purchased the shell, then added the jets, plumbing, controls, and pump.  Not sure if that is how the majority of Spas were done in the early 90s, . . . but that is how ours was.

Funny story on how we got rid of our old Spa.  Dealers wanted to charge for removal, . . . the Artesian dealer being $250.  They said they would have to scrap it and take to a disposal site where they would have to pay a fee.  Not wanting to pay someone to take this away, I was thinking of putting it out front with a 'free' sign on it.  We then decided to try to advertise it on Craigslist. So - what the heck, listed it for $150 with the understanding the heater/controls needed to be replaced and moving the Spa was at the buyer's expense.  Two days later, a guy shows up with the cash and a forklift equipped Bobcat.  In minutes it was off the deck and out of our hands.  Net on this was $400 positive for us!!!

On the chemicals, . . . we have always been Bromine users and are staying with this.  We did consider some alternatives, but we have had no issues with using Bromine, like its ease of use with a floater, and we still have a stock of chemicals.  With our ozone and maintaining 1 - 2 ppm, all has been good for us.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:50:45 pm »
You didn't buy from a place named Crocker Sales did you?
Also curious what were the problems with the 3 year old Opal?

brentp

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:25:00 pm »
You didn't buy from a place named Crocker Sales did you?
Also curious what were the problems with the 3 year old Opal?

Yes we did buy from Crocker Sales.  Just curious, why do you ask?  Maybe our story sounds familiar.  :)

On the Opal, when we went to check it out, . . . at first, all the jets and controls were working properly.  It had been sitting unused for a half a year or so since the seller bought the house last spring.  They did not want the Spa, . . . so buying something like this used sounded like a very good possibility to us, even if the warrantee would be invalidated.  

After 5 - 10 minutes of running through the various jets to make sure things were ok, we shut things down.  At this time, I noticed it didn't appear that the circ pump was actually working (could not see any tiny bubbles or water ‘current’).  We opened up the front access just to make sure there was a circ pump (one of our requirements).  It was there, but didn't sound or feel like it was running.  We cycled the power a few times.  Long story short, after a number of cycles, the controls stopped working and an it appeared like an error code was displayed, . . . however, the code was not in the manual.  With that, we decided not to go the used route.   :)

Later, the seller called back and said the tech he talked to on the phone thought water might have gotten into the control panel and the service department was going to come out and take a look.  My wife said she notice it appeared water was in the control panel.  Anyway, he wanted to know if we were still interested.  By this time, we had already put a deposit down on the new Antigua.  The rest is history.  Never really did find it if that was the real issue with the Opal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:46:55 pm »
[size=18]............Please... ............. Don't try this at home .............. .............. .........[/size]
This man is obviously a professional shopper. At the very least, he is one of the most thoughtful, careful shoppers I have run across.

I strongly recommend you at least see the spa you plan to purchase.

I'm so glad it worked out so nicely for you Brent. You knew what you wanted, methodically searched for it, and by having owned a spa before you had a real edge over a first-time shopper.

May you soak long and prosper!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:19:46 pm »
I went to the crocker in Merrimack, NH. Not sure which one you went to. I know they have one in Woburn, Ma also. I met a guy named Hal. That guy is a joke, and a liar. I have some inside information on that dealer and him. Basically he sells Vita now. He has a very bad relationship with Artesian that is why you don't see any in his showroom..

If you ask me the dealer is not important so no worries, but the deal you get is. I didn't buy from him for many of my own reasons, but if you got a good deal good for you..

Enjoy your new Spa..

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 06:31:14 pm »

If you ask me the dealer is not important so no worries, but the deal you get is.

If you ask me I'd say the dealer is certainly an important aspect of the purchase (not the most important issue, but important nonetheless).

Opinions are free on this site so you certainly can expect to get conflicting viewpoints.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:00:43 am »
I went to the crocker in Merrimack, NH. Not sure which one you went to. I know they have one in Woburn, Ma also. I met a guy named Hal. That guy is a joke, and a liar. I have some inside information on that dealer and him. Basically he sells Vita now. He has a very bad relationship with Artesian that is why you don't see any in his showroom..

If you ask me the dealer is not important so no worries, but the deal you get is. I didn't buy from him for many of my own reasons, but if you got a good deal good for you..

Enjoy your new Spa..

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Crocker Sales lost Jacuzzi Premium Spas a couple of years back.

brentp

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 12:44:42 pm »

Enjoy your new Spa..

We went through the Merrimack store and, . . . we did deal with Hal over the phone for the actual purchase.  That was the only contact we had with him, other than a follow up visit to the store to exchange the start up kit chemicals to Bromine.  He said he is the 'sales manager' and works at both stores, which he must because I had to chase him down via the phone once to close the deal.  Once the deal was done, we worked with the delivery people out of the Woburn store.  Funny, I did need to turn my sales pitch filter on when talking to him.  :)

Anyway, for future reference, . . . if you could PM me about what you know about this store and their relationship with Artesian I would appreciate it, . . . just in case we ever need warrantee service and things don't go as well as they should.

BTW - from your username, . . . I guess I can assume you like to enjoy snowmobiling.  This winter sure does stink in that department for most of us in New England.  I guess I am to blame, . . . we purchased 2 new sleds and a trailer last year, . . . so it is all my fault!  :)

Nothing like a nice hot soak after a day of riding though!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:57:29 pm »

Enjoy your new Spa..

Um, sounds to me that for the reasons you just mentioned, the dealer is important.
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 06:48:39 pm »
I will PM you.

Go to pittsburg, there is plenty of riding up there. Did 300 miles a couple weekends ago.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 06:48:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42