What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is your cover flat enough to seal perfectly?  (Read 3756 times)

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
Is your cover flat enough to seal perfectly?
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:09:17 pm »
I just noticed that my Arctic cover is not.  The Arctic people really talk about how good their covers are, but if it does not sit flat on the spa, just how efficient can it be?  Mine has at least a 3/8" bow in it.  So basically, I have gap along the top of my spa that is 3/8" x 3 feet.  I am going to call my salesman to see what he can do.  Do I have any recourse?

Steven-

Hot Tub Forum

Is your cover flat enough to seal perfectly?
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:09:17 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Is your cover flat enough to seal perfectly?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:16:01 pm »
Is that with the lid straps on?  I know they are meant to pull down on the cover, so when they aren't secured it might bow up a bit.   Recently when I lost power for 5 days it went from 104 to 72.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:16:10 pm »
Check the lip of the spa with a level, you might find the lip is bowed and not the cover.

If the cover is bowed flipping the cores over might do the trick, the foam cores will get bowed and a trucker was a little too tight on the straps.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:23:28 pm »
My Marquis cover sits so tight I need to break the suction before I can fold it back

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:29:56 pm »
My Marquis cover sits so tight I need to break the suction before I can fold it back

Rick,  

It helps to take the foot of snow off the cover first  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:47:34 pm »
Related question -- do you all use all the straps with your cover?  Mine has four total, two in the "front" (where I get in) and two in the back.  It would be very inconvenient to have to fasten and unfasten the two in the back so I leave them undone permanently.  Am I losing any insulation effectiveness by doing this?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:58:01 pm »
does not seem right to me.  As for the straps, I strapped and locked down the one side that the cover lifter folds to.  The other side, I just attach the straps on really windy days.  Arctic backs their product and the service is wonderful, so they should come out soon and let you know.  Maybe it is a matter of you doing something wrong.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 03:01:50 pm »
My cover sits tight..no gaps.  I never use the straps.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 03:13:23 pm »
My Jacuzzi cover fits well with no gapping and I keep all straps fastened when not in use. I even lock 'em. :-[

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 04:10:34 pm »
rick,

My cover also has a slight suction to it so I'm comfortable that it is sealing properly.

And pg_rider said:
Related question -- do you all use all the straps with your cover?  Mine has four total, two in the "front" (where I get in) and two in the back.  It would be very inconvenient to have to fasten and unfasten the two in the back so I leave them undone permanently.  Am I losing any insulation effectiveness by doing this?
pg,

Though aesthetically it may not be appealing, I use bungee cords on both the front and back as opposed to the strap clips.  With the exposure to wind that my spa experiences, I've found this to be effective, especially on the back where I do not have to undo or redo when opening/closing the cover.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 04:12:58 pm »
The only time I use my straps is if I go on vacation otherwise I never use them.  And yes I had to scoop the snow off.  First 6 inches and the another 2 as it took me 30 mins to get back out after I cleaned it off.

You can't beat sitting in the tub at 17 degrees and 2 inches an hour of lake effect coming down on you.

anne

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 04:57:44 pm »
I have an arctic, and I think I have a good cover seal since I get a little suction when lifting the cover. I dont use any of the straps.
Dance like nobody's watching

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 06:48:24 pm »
I also have an Arctic.  When the cover first gets put down it does have a slight wobble to it, but I think this is from air getting trapped inside.  When I go to open it up it does have the suction that everyone else seems to be talking about.  I only use the straps when I am going to be away for several days.

Reese

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 06:55:16 pm »
I wonder if the suction everyone is talking about is due to the moist skirt clinging to the sides.  It seems unlikely that a lid with warm air underneath it would seal to the container.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 08:19:55 pm »
I wonder if the suction everyone is talking about is due to the moist skirt clinging to the sides.  It seems unlikely that a lid with warm air underneath it would seal to the container.

I also used to have a suction between the cover and tub on my old prodigy, more so as the cover got older and heavier.  The suction was between the cover and the rim of the tub, not with the skirt.  I also remember the suction  could be quite strong.   I have not seen this with my new Envoy yet.

I had never thought about it, but the "suction lock" would seem to provide a better insulation seal.  (I wish the envoy did the same thing!)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 08:19:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42