What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Railing on deck needed?  (Read 2657 times)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
Railing on deck needed?
« on: January 29, 2007, 05:29:58 pm »
HI
I have my tub tucked into a corner on my deck and the railing is above the tub just enough to inhibit my view.  Do you think you would have to have the railing there if the tub is there?  IE, no one can fall off the deck cuz the tub is in the way....
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Hot Tub Forum

Railing on deck needed?
« on: January 29, 2007, 05:29:58 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Railing on deck needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:38:53 pm »
You still may need the railing there but your local building codes will prevail over all else. Maybe some decorative iron? Attatched to your exsisting rail where it ends at your tub.
Retired

Reese

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:09:42 pm »
IMO, this is kind of like your electrical.  You have to decide how important strict interpretation of any applicable code is, and what  safety/common sense dictate.  Assuming you are comfortable that this will not be a safety issue, you could probably remove/lower that section of railing and save it to reinstall if you ever move the tub, need a building permit, or sell the house.

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 07:16:35 pm »
HI
I have my tub tucked into a corner on my deck and the railing is above the tub just enough to inhibit my view.  Do you think you would have to have the railing there if the tub is there?  IE, no one can fall off the deck cuz the tub is in the way....

I see no need unless you have neighbors that don't like you and will turn you into the code enforcement and even then they might not require it. Personally I would remove railing since there is no chance of falling. I have a setup like you in the corner and have removed that section of railing. But I am on 10 acres with no visible neighbors. ;D ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:19:35 pm »
Building code in your area will dictate if a railing is required.  Around here all decks 3' or more above ground need railings.  And the railings themselves have to be built to code minimal height, and maxium spacing, etc.   Not sure how a spa on a deck would impact that.  If you're concerned, ask whoever enforces building codes in your area.
Brewman

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:41:24 pm »
re: IE, no one can fall off the deck cuz the tub is in the way....

I know it would be unlikely......

But if you remove the railing......could someone sitting up on the edge of the tub with their feet dangling in the water fall backyards and then also fall off the deck too making it a pretty hard fall?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:10:54 am »
One thing to consider, however remotely possible, is that IF a railing is required by code, and you don't have one, if someone does get hurt because of it you might find yourself in an uncomfortable situation with your city/county, insurance company, etc..

A long shot I know, but it's something to consider.
Brewman

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 08:40:20 am »
I would remove the tall railing and save it. then put up one about 1 inch higher than the tub. The 1 inch might alert someone sitting on the tub and would give a ledge for drinks.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:56:07 pm »
Thats what I did, built a lower more see through railing.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 05:56:57 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:56:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42