What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cover to darn heavy  (Read 3073 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
cover to darn heavy
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »
Ok, so last week we had freezing rain and it sucked!  It was so heavy that I needed help lifting it.  Then in the morning I had to scrape some ice off but couldnt get it all off.  Why is it so heavy most of the stuff is off the top but it still ways a ton.

Is it normal for some water to get inside the cover or should it be dry?  If so would that freeze a bit and cause this or is it just whats on top causing this.  My cover is only a year and 1/2 old.

Hot Tub Forum

cover to darn heavy
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Re: cover to darn heavy
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 10:09:24 pm »
When We're expecting snow or ice.  I cover the spa with a tarp.  Makes the cover easy to clean off.  Just remove the tarp.  I have a large eye-hook in my deck at each corner of the spa and hold it on with bungee cords.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 08:31:15 am »
I asked a similar question to Doc on his board and he told me it probably is the water accumilating from the 1,000's of thread holes in the cover.

I have noticed myself that my cover gets heavy after a couple of days of rain. I was thinking water absorbtion in the cover vinyl. The first time it happened I started thinking - man my cover is only about 1 1/2 years old, I really don't want to buy another one ... A couple of days later it was fine!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:12:07 pm »
Exactly, Vinny.  I always notice water under the vinyl after a rain.  It takes a few minutes after opening for it to drain out.  That's why it is so important to have the cores wrapped and sealed well under the vinyl.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:32:30 pm »
well, today was a little better outside, so I went out and worked on the tub.  I figured out why the cover was so heavy.  ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you, that I had atleast 200lbs.  The ice was so thick, 3/4" to be exact! I guess when it snowed, over top, I just assumed that it was all snow.  It was some serious work getting it off but the cover is back to regular

anne

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:07:09 pm »
You crazy cold climate people and your crazy cold problems! Glad that your cover is still in good shape.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:07:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42