What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine- Survey Says?!  (Read 3690 times)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
Chlorine- Survey Says?!
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:32:28 am »
So I have seen many different approaches to water care as I have been reading up.
My manual tells me to chlorinate before getting in.
Some people here say after.
What do you do?
Before or After?
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine- Survey Says?!
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:32:28 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Chlorine- Survey Says?!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:44:13 am »
After.

This kills the bacteria that I have introduced into the water so that it will be clean the next time I soak and since Dichlor disapates relativly  quickly the next time I do go in, I'm not soaking in a chlorine bath.
07 Caldera Geneva

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:46:47 am »
After for the same reasons as the Drewman

anne

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:08:32 pm »
ditto.
Dance like nobody's watching

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:43:35 pm »
After, this way the bacteria dont get to live in teh H2O too long.  And I don't smell like bleach, and have dry skin.

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 01:46:26 pm »
Almost 95% of the time I shower before getting in. I don't use my hot tub as a bath. Consequently I don't have water problems. I'll tell you why. An unnamed person got into my tub one night, the next morning, I had this film around the top of the waterline. This could only have came from one source. Hot tubs are hot by nature, it opens up the pores in the skin. Oils are released. Not to mention whats on the bottom of the feet thats tracked in the tub. My point: shock after the introduction of nasty's.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:47:33 pm by galen »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 02:12:47 pm »
Simply put, if you require a safe sanitizer level (1-3ppm) prior to going in, you need to add some. I think what everyone is recommending here is that shocking or just boosting your levels after use is a good idea. I don't suggest getting into a spa with a zero chlorine reading so if you need to add a small dosage to get it into safe bathing range, then there's no problem doing so.

Steve

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:24:18 pm »
Go to Doc's site (www.rhtubs.com) and look in the FAQ section to find the Vermonter's water treatment program.  That is the way to use dichlor.  Contrary to Steve's comment, the free chlorine residual can be and often is low or even zero when you get in the tub.  In fact getting into chlorine free (or close to it) water is a big part of why the Vermonter's method is the best option for many people.

Regards,

Bill

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 02:34:32 pm »
After for all of the above answers. The thing is you want to soak with as little chemicals in the water with it still being safe.

RobRoy

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 02:45:39 pm »
Add your chemicals after you are finished soaking. :)

Reese

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:45:49 pm »
I split the difference between Steve and Bill.  I prefer soaking in little/no chlorine for regular use, but want more sanitation when there is potential for new contaminents to be introduced.:P  For regular use by our family, I dose 3-5 ppm after use -- and every second day if it is not used.  That results in a very low chlorine reading before we get in.  When entertaining guests, I make sure there is 1-3 ppm residual before use, and add enough chlorine to get it up to at least 5 ppm after.  8-)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:50:17 pm by Reese »

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 02:54:40 pm »
... For regular use by our family, I dose 3-5 ppm after use -- and every second day if it is not used.  That results in a very low chlorine reading before we get in.  When entertaining guests, I make sure there is 1-3 ppm residual before use, and add enough chlorine to get it up to at least 5 ppm after.  8-)

I think you and Galen are on to something...when it's just my partner and I we are only soaking in our own "dirt".  When someone else comes over, who knows what is in the water with you!
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 05:07:34 pm »
Go to Doc's site (www.rhtubs.com) and look in the FAQ section to find the Vermonter's water treatment program.  That is the way to use dichlor.  Contrary to Steve's comment, the free chlorine residual can be and often is low or even zero when you get in the tub.  In fact getting into chlorine free (or close to it) water is a big part of why the Vermonter's method is the best option for many people.

Regards,

Bill

Mmmmmm, guess I need another 12 years before I get it right? :-/

[size=18]It is unsafe to get into hot water with no sanitizer.[/size]
 Does anyone disagree? :o

Ask yourself what sanitizer is for... to keep the spa water safe for bathers by killing bacteria or to keep it looking clear after use?

Remember people...this is the internet and not everything you read is true. Take all of this with a grain of salt and talk to professionals face to face that you can trust.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 05:18:08 pm »
I'm w/ Steve. I try to add enough dichlor post soak so by my next soak there's about 1ppm FC. For me that's about 1 1/2 tsp. :D The key is trial and error until you figure out how much yours is? After that it's easy. :D

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 05:29:16 pm »

Mmmmmm, guess I need another 12 years before I get it right? :-/

[size=18]It is unsafe to get into hot water with no sanitizer.[/size]
 Does anyone disagree? :o

Ask yourself what sanitizer is for... to keep the spa water safe for bathers by killing bacteria or to keep it looking clear after use?

Remember people...this is the internet and not everything you read is true. Take all of this with a grain of salt and talk to professionals face to face that you can trust.

Steve I have a question for you. When you refill do you soak before adding any chemicals? I believe this is the very best soak possible. Why would you want to soak in any more chemicals than you have to? Do you have a bacteria phobia?  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 05:29:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42