What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: EBAY HOT TUBS  (Read 6950 times)

Shaftslinger

EBAY HOT TUBS
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:52:34 am »
New here, searched a bit and found nothing on this topic.  

I am 23 and just want a spa.  I have a spa now made by blue ridgethat has a crack in it.  I tried to fix it with epoxy and resin and it still leaks.  Also there is some wiring issues with the spa.  Also needs a new cover.  Basically a POS and im not going to dump any coin into it.  I want a new spa or a low priced used spa that isnt going to need a bunch of shit.  

I looked on ebay and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Serenity-Spas-64Jet-12HP-Cayman-Spa-Hot-Tub-Tubs_W0QQitemZ230075500098QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They seem to be selling between 2k and 2.5k

What makes this so affordable.  Im sure later on ill want to upgrade but for now i just want a spa i can soak in after work.  I got the POS i have now for free and the gfci spa panel is already set up and ready to go.  I just need a nice spa to plug into it.  
My budge is 2500 and i dont want to spend more than that.  I can go a bit over but my house needs lots of remodeling and I cant justify spending much more than that on a luxury item right now.  I am handy and can fix most things, if that matters.  

Hot Tub Forum

EBAY HOT TUBS
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:52:34 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: EBAY HOT TUBS
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:11:38 am »
I don't do much with Ebay.  Is there a minimum bid?  Currently the highest bid is $1300, way below cost.  

They claim to be manufacturer.  At that price they must be.  Add $500+ for shipping.  They are making money on shipping.  Read the warranty.  Weak.  

No dealer support, but at the price you can buy it for who needs it?

Who knows how enery efficient it really is?  They offer an insulation upgrade, indicating the standard insulation ain't gonna cut it.

All in all, if you are just looking for a tub to soak in, it might be a good deal.

Shop local dealers and see what they have to offer at an entry level.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Reese

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:24:18 am »
I think a couple of adages appy here.  "You get what you pay for", and "All spas eventually cost the same".  I suspect that although this may be cheaper initially, it will eventually cost the same as a name brand from a dealer due to repairs not covered by warranty, increased electricity costs/poor insulation, etc.  With your budget, and repair skills -- I'd be looking for a good used spa, both at dealers and in local papers/craigslist, etc.  It may take awhile to find one, but they are out there.

gcbrowni

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:25:37 am »
You could get a Nordic in your budget, I believe.

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:33:14 am »
I agree with Reese.  Look used.  It is amazing what you can find out there.  My brother got a year old Jacuzzi 345 for either 2k or 2500 about 6 months ago.  I looked for about a year before I found the right used tub for me.  I'm in Socal and the Recycler and craigslist were my best resources.  There was the occasional local tub on ebay as well.  The thing with used is when they are in great shape and priced right they sell with in a day or 2 (at least here they do).  So, figure out what you want, have your money ready and be ready to jump on something when you find it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:34:13 am »
These tubs usally are weak in insulation. If you live in a cold climate and want to put and use this outside in the winter, your electric bill will go up higher than making a monthy payment on a better tub.

Is the cover included? I see that the lifter, steps O3 are not.

Yes, these are typcically low end spas that will need work, (heater, pumps, control panel, shoddy frame).  

You get what you pay for. If you fully understand what you are getting into and are willing to haul it to the dump in a few years, then ok. I can understand that.  You might be better served to wait and save, or buy used?

At 23 and fixing up your own home? That's fantastic.   :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:36:35 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:40:56 am »
Shaftslinger....if you are looking for a used tub......

Have you tried "CraigsList.com"?

There are some great hot tub deals on CraigsList.

The advantage of CraigsList is it is more of a local classified.

If you live in a CraigsList city then it has some major
advantages over e-bay concerning shipping.

Where do you live?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/

For someone that can't afford a new tub.....Look at some of these deals!:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/spo/247029252.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/hsh/255423286.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/for/254830591.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/for/250184000.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/for/257557617.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:47:34 am by Zep »

Shaftslinger

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:18 am »
Yea, I bought my house about 7 months ago.  It was a bank owned foreclosure that sat empty for 3 yrs.  Its a potentiall very nice home.  4 bedroom 1.75 bath.  1900 sq on just under an acre.  I have a pond and a concrete basketball court.  gravel driveway, go figure.  when i moved in it needed bull dozed.  

now it JUST needs haha
windows new gutters and eaves trim
the other half of the roof replaced  (I replaced the back half in september with a friend 18 square)
paint inside the house
remodel the kitchen and large bathroom.

then i believe I ahve a 200k house on my hands.  Paid 108 for it.  neighbors house is 350k every day of the week but its a 4k sq with a pool other neighbor is 250 or so.  I have nowhere to go but up.  

I live in ohio, we have cold winters.  Im not looking for a spa to last for years and years.  Hell if i get 5 out of id be happy.  especially at a price of around 2500/ thats 500 a yr plus maintenance.  

the local spa store does have used spas starting @ 1295 but i havent been in to look at them.  that same seller has an 83 jet 12 hp spa for bid of 2k right now that i can pick up.  shouldnt go for much more than that.  the others you get to pick the colors and options this one i just mentioned is already built so you dont get to chose anything.  also i can pick this one up saving on shipping.  The others youh ave to pay 600$ in shipping no local pickup allowed for some reason ( probably making some profit on that end.)

Im not terribly affraid of a larger electir bill.  I expect aroudn a 30$ increase.  If this thing is a POS and only insulated half as well i can even tolerate a 45$ increase because 15/month over the life of the spa is not enough money to make me chase a better unit.  

I read the feedback rating of the company selling the spas and everyone is happy looks like hes sold very many of them in the last months.  The people that did file a complaint were resolved, so it looks like the company does fix the problems.  

anyone ever heard of this brand?

Shaftslinger

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:06:44 am »
sorry forgot to add  it will be outside and the cover is included, its there under specifications as locking cover.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:17:38 am »
Shaft, the house sounds sweet.  Kinda of simillar to what I got into 7 years ago. Got 2 acreas  surrounded by woods. There is nothing like it. My quality of life has sooooo changed.   Gravel driveway...yup. Cost me $15000 to put a new one in, then the spa delivery folks messed it up.  >:(    I did windows 2 years ago. roof, paint, fireplaces...I could go on an on.  I got about 100K into it, plus blood sweat and tears,  I love it though. I trippled my equity in the 7 years.  :)

When's the pool going in? ;)

$30 for electrical? I doubt it.  $75 (well,  I don't know, not with this winter here in MA).  ;)

Don't be too fast to jump on the E-bay tubs.  They are ALWAYS there and available.  Trust me.  I would though spend some time looking for a quality used tub, you may get lucky, but you will have to be paitent.  YOu're not going to be able to put it on a pad, wire it, and fill it in Feb anyway, are you?
07 Caldera Geneva

Shaftslinger

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 11:25:06 am »
Its already wired up and ready to go now.  Im going to just junk the one I have and put this one on the wood frame I have constructed.  So im basically ready to buy today deliver tomorrow and soak on Friday.  
Those used ones on craigslist are nice.  That would be sweet if i could find one in cleveland or columbus with a gazebo.  Ill have to deffinately check those out.  

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 12:29:59 pm »
call around, just for grins. Your local dealers might have a great used tub for a sweet price (and ours offers something like 60 or 90 day warranty on the used ones). Are you looking for any specific size requirements? I haven't looked at the ebay link, and didn't see anything in type so far to indicate one way or the other...also, when you go to the grocery store, check the free ads people post....ya never know...
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:41:35 pm »
I'm at a loss here.  You want a tub in the next 72 hours and are willing to drop about 3 large on a POS. (you know it's one too,  ;) it's just a question of waiting for a good one, or buying this disposable one)  It's tough to say "hey, go for it".

What's the problem with the existing POS? What would it cost to get soemout out there to get it running? I'm sure it would be a lot less than buying this ebay one.  That way you have a tub to soak in with minimal money.   Put the money you save aside for something you'll want to keep and have.

07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 01:05:19 pm »
From Cleveland CraigsList:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/246800859.html

[size=16]Spa House and Hot Tub - $2800[/size]

Hot tub dimensions 92”X92”X34 ½”. Seats up to 6 but really comfortable
and roomy with 4. Solid Redwood cabinet enclosed tub with two 2hp pumps.
Solid Redwood steps with equipment storage. New Dark Green $400.00
Deluxe Coleman cover. Spa has a small leak. Original price $5,000.

Selling hot tub and gazebo as a package for $2800.00

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 01:41:01 pm »
what it leaves out is "bring a truckload of friends to help, this is going to be a major PITA!" and if it's already got a "small leak", I can't imagine that it'll improve or not get worse with moving....  :-?
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 01:41:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42