What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: balancing chemistry  (Read 1451 times)

grumpy

balancing chemistry
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:14:23 pm »
I just got my Taylor 2005 kit. :) Now I can acuretly measure my chems as oppossed to the inaccurate strips. What order do I balance my chemistry? Calcium, alk, ph?
My readings are
calcium 100
alk         70
ph         8.0
Do I raise the calcium first then lower ph? How do I lower the ph without effecting the alk?  :-/

Hot Tub Forum

balancing chemistry
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:14:23 pm »

Reese

Re: balancing chemistry
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:35:33 pm »
Most recommendations say to get Alkalinity in range first, but I feel that when starting at a high pH, you have to deal with that before moving on to balance the water.  Whichever acid you use to lower pH will also lower alkalinity.  After you get the pH where you want it, you can start building TA with baking soda.  That will also drag pH up slightly, so it becomes a balancing act, as you find the right ratio of acid/soda to fine tune the readings.  I personally don't worry about TA unless the pH is unstable.

IMO, you shouldn't add any calcium to the water until you get the pH balanced.  At high pH, calcium tends to precipitate out of solution, forming scale.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:36:45 pm by Reese »

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:49:35 am »
.... you can start building TA with baking soda.  That will also drag pH up slightly, so it becomes a balancing act, as you find the right ratio of acid/soda to fine tune the readings.  I personally don't worry about TA unless the pH is unstable.

IMO, you shouldn't add any calcium to the water until you get the pH balanced.  At high pH, calcium tends to precipitate out of solution, forming scale.

You don't use the TA/PH up solution from the spa company?  how much Baking Soda do you need per XX gallons of water?
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Reese

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:26:21 am »
You don't use the TA/PH up solution from the spa company?  how much Baking Soda do you need per XX gallons of water?
"TA Up" is usually just sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in a fancy bottle, and "pH Up" is usually sodium carbonate (soda ash).  Assuming no fillers, you will need the same dose whether you buy it at the spa dealer, on-line, at the grocery store, or Sam's Club.  I usually add it 1 tablespoon at a time to my 525 gal tub.

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:26:39 pm »
I have a 530 gal tub and I know that adding 1oz of Baking Soda brings it up about 10ppm.  You can also go on Doc's site and you can find a calculator for exact measurments.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:26:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42