What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Our first winter weather soak...  (Read 1971 times)

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
Our first winter weather soak...
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:33:11 pm »
This afternoon we finally got some snow in Maryland.  It wasn't much:  only about an inch or so.  But it was enough...I had been waiting for a winter soak since summer when we installed the spa.  I had heard that sitting in the hot bubbling water with the snow falling was great...and those who said it were correct!

The temp was about 24 deg F when I went in.  It WAS a bit on the cold side going up the steps to the tub, but really worth it once I was inside.  The only problem about getting out was that the steps were cold, but once I put my feet into my "crocs" it was fine.  I have a big thick bathrobe that I use getting out of the tub, and I had it on before I even felt any cold.  Other than some frost on my hair and mustache it was great.  

I know that many of you already know how much fun a winter soak can be:  but I just wanted to share the first time experience.

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

Our first winter weather soak...
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:33:11 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: Our first winter weather soak...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 10:41:32 pm »
Hi Bill

Welcome to the world of "snow soaks".  We didn't get a lot of snow, but just enough (I'm in MD too).  My old tub had a gazebo on it so it was nice to sit there and watch the snow fall.  The new tub doesn't, so this evening was kind of a new experience for me too.

And those big robes do help a lot!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 11:28:19 pm »
This is my first winter with the tub too.  I really like it so far, the big fluffy robe does make a big difference!   However, Saturday night it got down towards the single digits, and I found that a bit too cold to be enjoyable.  After I got out, my sandals were freezing to the patio with every step!  I think my comfort threshold is about 20 degrees, unless I crank the temp up a bit to 104.  Overall though, I love the cold starry nights...

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:47:16 am »
This is my first winter with the tub too.  I really like it so far, the big fluffy robe does make a big difference!   However, Saturday night it got down towards the single digits, and I found that a bit too cold to be enjoyable.  After I got out, my sandals were freezing to the patio with every step!  I think my comfort threshold is about 20 degrees, unless I crank the temp up a bit to 104.  Overall though, I love the cold starry
nights...

Matt,
If you stay in a little bit longer when it is in single digits, it makes it a lot easier when you get out. For me the length of soaking time usually is longer the colder it is. The lowest I have soaked in is minus 17 F. No wind was blowing at that temperature though. :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 09:05:34 am »
The only problem about getting out was that the steps were cold, but once I put my feet into my "crocs" it was fine.  Bill

If your path from the house to the tub isn't real far or muddy, you can wear the crocs right into the tub and set them on the edge, then put them on in the tub before you get out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 11:28:59 am »
I have to say having my tub 2 steps from the slider on the deck was a good decision!  I have no slippers, robe or towel on when going back and forth.  I got a rubber mat from walmart that is thick with holes in it....it works great to keep your feet from freezing to the deck.
 ;D
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

brentp

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:39:24 pm »
Soaking in the snow, . . . oh what fun.  I just wish we were getting more snow up here in New England so we could enjoy this too!   :)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 11:38:30 am »
Yeah, I was in the tub this morning as the sun came up.

Must have been in the low 50's Brrr.

Should turn out to be a nice day though.

Usually does...

8-)

From Weather.com:
Right Now for
Ventura, CA (93004)

Weather for your life

Sunny       
54°F
Feels Like
54°F
Updated Jan 23 08:25 a.m. PT

UV Index:             0 Low
Wind:             From NNE at 6 mph
Humidity:             17%
Pressure:             30.29 in.
Dew Point:             10°F
Visibility:             10.0 miles

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:32:31 am »
1st winter season for me too!  We have had some very strange weather in MO....but to no avail....I get in the tub nighlty.  I have found that putting on the rob that has been sitting on the cold deck....worse then just walking back to house (20 yards) with just the trunks on.  My wife however has found a new use for our little people....she gets one of the tribe to put her robe in the dryer and bring it out to her when she is ready to come out. ;D

A very cold, Clear, no wind night with the stars out......priceless ...in a tub

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:29:04 am »
I have a streetlight which is way out in front of our house, but still manages to shine all the way back to our spa area. Has always bugged us. A recent windy day took out one of the wires and darkened the place. Wow! We can see FAR more stars at night, and especially if I am in the tub just before sunup. I think I'll put up some kind of screen or fence or add on to my house or something.

I hope they take a long time to fix it - they sent a guy out to take down the dangling wire, but so far have not fixed it. I think with the winds we have had lately they are busy elsewhere.

Tubbing in the dark! Oh boy!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:29:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42