What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Grit in the bottom of the tub  (Read 10155 times)

gregandkelly

• Is it time to go back to Jamaica yet?
Grit in the bottom of the tub
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:27:20 pm »
We are developing a problem that no one seems to be able to answer for us.  We have had our hot tub for about a year and for the last 2 - 3 months, we've started developing a "grit" on the bottom of the hot tub.  This grit is similiar to white sand, but not quite as fine as sand.

Someone told us it was stuff we carried in on our feet.  I don't buy it.  Our tub is 5' outside the back door.  Our feet can't be that dirty!  I think it's more likely the chemicals in our city water system.

The grit doesn't seem to be a problem other than the occasional raw butt when you get out!

Thanks for any ideas!

BTW....we use Baquaspa

Greg

Hot Tub Forum

Grit in the bottom of the tub
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:27:20 pm »

Reese

Re: Grit in the bottom of the tub
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:50:32 pm »
Could be calcium precipitating out of solution.  What are your pH, TA and hardness readings?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:54:22 pm »
Not a bg fan of baquaspa but I don't know if it causes grit? Next time you fill the spa, use a filter on the end of your garden hose. Wear slippers to the spa. If it still develops, get off of baqua. :-/

There are products to remove the grit but finding the source is the key. Here's one solution to get rid of it once it appears:

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/padarise-spa-vacuum.htm

Steve

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:21:04 pm »

Could it possibly be that your chemicals are not disolving properly?  Just a thought!

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:41:02 pm »
Someone told us it was stuff we carried in on our feet.  I don't buy it.  Our tub is 5' outside the back door.  Our feet can't be that dirty!  I think it's more likely the chemicals in our city water system.

gregandkelly,

Others have posted some good ideas but another one you may want to try.  If the outdoor temp allows it place a small flat pan full of water next to the tub.  Rinse your feet before you use the tub for a week, if the grit goes away or does'nt get worse then maybe it was from your patio.  I doubt it was from your city water supply because you would also see it coming from your tap.  You could check by filling a large clear picture and letting it sit for a while and then checking the bottom

Good luck, but I agree with The_Pa._Lady
Bullfrog 451

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 11:02:24 pm »
From what you are describing it sounds most likely like calcium precipitating oout of solution.

This has nothing to do with BaquaSpa.  It is related to high pH.

Do you test and adjust weekly?

:o
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

gregandkelly

• Is it time to go back to Jamaica yet?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:13:09 am »
The wife is in charge of the chemicals, I'll have her check the PH.

i'm 100% convinced it's not from the patio......we have 2-3 steps on the carport before you get to the deck where the hot tub is.  you're just not going to pick up that much in those couple of steps.......plus, this problem hs just started in the past 2 - 3 months and the hot tub has been there for a year.  If it was the patie, it would have shown up before now.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Greg

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:10:05 am »
If the grit is calcium precipitated out of the water because of high pH, then it will stick to the spa shell and be very difficult to remove manually.  It will also stick to the sides as well as the bottom and also the inside of pipes, pumps, etc.  Sand or dirt will be loose on the bottom and easily removed, though annoying.

If it is a calcium grit, you are best to reverse the process chemically by lowering your pH.  Chas has a formula that he has posted many times.

Reese

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 03:16:43 pm »
The wife is in charge of the chemicals, I'll have her check the PH.
While she's at it, have her check the TA and Hardness, in addition to pH.  All three, along with water temp, determine the saturation point of your water.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 03:17:40 pm by Reese »

cak224

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:44:30 am »
try using a short tube 4 ft, attach a piece of pantyhose to one end using a rubber band.  Siphon out the gritt.  The pantyhose will capture the gritt.  Let it dry.  You will be able to determine if it is sand or a chemical.  
You can use a tube from a pet store (fish tank filter tube) or even use a hose from your washer machine.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:41:33 am »
What are your pH and TA readings?

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 04:45:45 pm »
this sounds like a problem that I was having.  I would feel little grit on the bottom of the tub.  I would pick it up and it would be a light color.  Then One day I went in the tub and I saw some dark pieces, and then I realized that it was litlle pieces of the shingles from my roof top.  They would color out quickly because of the chlorine level in my tub.  When it is windy, it is inevitable that I get some in my tub.  With my tub, it pools to a corner and I just carefully pull them out.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 04:45:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42