What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How Long Do Covers Last?  (Read 15988 times)

JacuzziJack

Re: How Long Do Covers Last?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 10:37:24 pm »
Well then, for those who bought new covers, who did you guys buy your replacement cover from and how long did it hold up?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 10:37:24 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 02:10:40 pm »
Well then, for those who bought new covers, who did you guys buy your replacement cover from and how long did it hold up?

If we are talking about a 'standard spa cover' and nothing specialty like aluminum, walk on style, etc. then there all the same...build it up with a good 5" x 3" thickness, 2# foam, hinge seal, and make sure it has a vapor barrier wrap and it'll perform just like every other cover on the market and will last 3-5 years at most if the spa is outside and exposed to the elements.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 10:10:45 am »

If we are talking about a 'standard spa cover' and nothing specialty like aluminum, walk on style, etc. then there all the same...build it up with a good 5" x 3" thickness, 2# foam, hinge seal, and make sure it has a vapor barrier wrap and it'll perform just like every other cover on the market and will last 3-5 years at most if the spa is outside and exposed to the elements.

Are you serious??????

There are different thicknesses and methods for sealing the vapor barrier, which makes for drastic differences in lifespan.

Different vinyls are of different weights (thickness), with different UV and pigment ratings (higher ratings = longer lifespans)

I'm probably going to replace my cover in the spring....it's 10 years old, and still in usable condition. The vinyl's not cracked or brittle and the foam hasn't absorbed any water. The hings is just slightly starting to crack at the edges and the vinyl is fading a bit....mostly though, I want a new color...never did like the color I have.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 02:00:57 pm »

Are you serious??????

There are different thicknesses and methods for sealing the vapor barrier, which makes for drastic differences in lifespan.

Different vinyls are of different weights (thickness), with different UV and pigment ratings (higher ratings = longer lifespans)

I'm probably going to replace my cover in the spring....it's 10 years old, and still in usable condition. The vinyl's not cracked or brittle and the foam hasn't absorbed any water. The hings is just slightly starting to crack at the edges and the vinyl is fading a bit....mostly though, I want a new color...never did like the color I have.

I'm sorry but I just don't see in a state that gets harsh winters assuming the cover is fully exposed to the elements. Sure I've seen them go longer than 5 years but at that point the damn thing weighs 100 pounds and isn't usable or is so heavy it can either pull the lifter out from the cabinet or I've seen them so heavy they get slammed and actually crack a shell. If you are truly building one that doesn't get over $600+ retail and it can last outside for 7-10 years we have 4 stores, PM me, I'll bring one in and if close to advertised I'll buy everyone of our aftermarket covers from you guys

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 06:59:59 pm »
Not from me :-)

I sold my share of my business almost 3 years ago and retired.

But seriously. If you just get double wrapped foam cores their life will be extended 50%. 6mil plastic, properly heat sealed will do even batter (double wrapped). The vapor barrier is broken down by the chemicals off-gassing, and eventually becomes porous...then steam penetrates through and the foam starts absorbing water (not only does it get heavier, but it also looses insulating ability). Double wrapping it, vastly reduces the chemical damage to the inside layer greatly increasing it's lifespan.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 07:05:01 am »
This is a case where some manufacturers skimp on covers a lot and some a little less. Doc's aftermarket covers always surpassed the factory quality. That is IF you asked for the upgrades. I always did. I have customers with 10 year old RH tubs covers.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 05:26:19 pm »
This is a case where some manufacturers skimp on covers a lot and some a little less. Doc's aftermarket covers always surpassed the factory quality. That is IF you asked for the upgrades. I always did. I have customers with 10 year old RH tubs covers.

wow, I may have to give them a call and bring one in to try...as Doc knows a major problem is showing value in spending more on that quality you mentioned, everyone wants an "internet cover" shipped to their front door for $300 and expect us to match that price and quality which as we all know doesn't exist in a $300 cover

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »

wow, I may have to give them a call and bring one in to try...as Doc knows a major problem is showing value in spending more on that quality you mentioned, everyone wants an "internet cover" shipped to their front door for $300 and expect us to match that price and quality which as we all know doesn't exist in a $300 cover

I always tell people that I can get them a new cover. But it will be closer to 400. They say they can get one online for 300. I tell them to go ahead and get one online then. But it's not the same cover. And I guarantee the fit. Sunstar makes a decent cover also. But again you have to upgrade.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42