What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foggy glasses?  (Read 7433 times)

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
Foggy glasses?
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:21:43 am »
I'm a contact lens/glasses wearer, and pretty near blind without one or the other of them.  If I go out and soak in the early morning, I have my glasses on, and by the time I get to soak in the evening, I usually have my contacts out and glasses back on.  They keep fogging up and it drives me crazy!  Any tips for this problem?

Also, this one is probably a stupid question, but oh well, I will ask it anyway.  Any reason not to put your whole head in the water occasionally?  I have a lot of headaches, and I've always used hot water in the bath or shower over my head and face to help relieve the pain.  If I rinse my hair out well before getting in the tub to get rid of as much shampoo/hairspray residue as I can, is there any reason it would be bad to put my face or head under water occasionally?  Last night I went in with the beginnings of a tension headache, and every so often I leaned my face forward into the water, and it really helped.  
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

Hot Tub Forum

Foggy glasses?
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:21:43 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Foggy glasses?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 09:32:09 am »
You might try an anti fogging cleaner. (I use this on my ski googles) I'm not so sure how it will hold up to severe steam.  You can find it at any sport  ski store.   I've also heard cleaning your glasses with Rain-X (the car windshield stuff) may work.

As far as dunking your head: Your head is probably one of the "dirtiest" parts of you body (Shampoo, conditioners, hair spray) and  may muck up the water a bit.  YMMV.

Not sure if some folks hair might be "dried out"or damaged  by any chlorine/bromine in the water, or sensitivity to eyes?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:34:55 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Ronnie526

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 09:43:44 am »
I honestly don't mean to sound like a smarta**, but have you considered taking your glasses off .... dunking them .... & then putting them back on?

drprwnap

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 09:53:31 am »
I have the same problem.  Try taking off your glasses, dip them in the spa and put 'em back on.  It works for me, but you might have to do it a couple of times depending how long you soak.

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:54:19 am »
I don't know about the glasses, but as far as dunking goes, just make sure it's not too cold out.  My husband always dunks-or at least he does when it's not cold.  He learned last year when we were out in below zero that when you dunk, your hair and beard freeze!
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:00:19 am »
LOL, yes I do dunk my glasses.  I have even held them under for awhile to warm them up, and they still keep fogging up!  It's quite annoying.  

What is YMMV, Drewstar?
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 10:14:14 am »
LOL, yes I do dunk my glasses.  I have even held them under for awhile to warm them up, and they still keep fogging up!  It's quite annoying.  

What is YMMV, Drewstar?

YMMV= Your Milage May Vary.  

Meaning, you may have different results, and it's just a guildline.

:)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 10:14:30 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 10:29:50 am »
Also, this one is probably a stupid question, but oh well, I will ask it anyway.  Any reason not to put your whole head in the water occasionally?  I have a lot of headaches, and I've always used hot water in the bath or shower over my head and face to help relieve the pain.  If I rinse my hair out well before getting in the tub to get rid of as much shampoo/hairspray residue as I can, is there any reason it would be bad to put my face or head under water occasionally?  Last night I went in with the beginnings of a tension headache, and every so often I leaned my face forward into the water, and it really helped.  

It's your tub, and your rules...if you don't mind potentially having to skim more often, or in WORST case drain early, go for it! But you MAY try something a little different (and hopefully about as effective)...take a bath towel in the tub with you, soak it in the hot water, wring it out some, and wrap it around your head, or over your face ....when it cools down, you could repeat the dunk/wring out and still not have as much "stuff" in the water as if you soaked your head and face. Just be sure that the towel doesn't have a lot of soap residue..
RIP C-Rod

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 11:24:03 am »
Try Cat Crap.  No not the stuff that comes out of the litter box.  Most good ski shops sell it.  Google Cat Crap and there are many places that sell it online.  

Kelly

• Hot Springs Accolade!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 11:49:52 am »
dang, wish I read that last post in its' entirety before digging in the box - I think the litter scratched my lenses.   :o

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 07:22:50 pm »
IF you need to see something - dip the glasses in the hot water, it lasts about a minute and then take them off. Now that I wear glasses, I can't see the little things (such as my MP3 player's info) without the glasses.

I dip the glasses in, read the stuff and take the glasses off ... it works for me.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 06:39:56 am »
Scuba divers and snorklers use something (other than spit!) to rub on the inside of their goggles before they dive that seems to work well.  We use it whenever we snorkle in the Keys.  Can't remember the name of the stuff now, but check your local dive shop.

Also, Rainex makes a defog product for the inside of windshields that might do the job.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 06:59:29 am »
I've used Fog-X on the inside windows of my cars before....maybe it was just me, but it didn't seem to work. Rain-X, however is awesome....but in any case, I don't know that I'd want that type of chemical that close to my eyes.
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:57:10 am »
In one of the handy man home DYI mags I susbscribe to,  there is a section on tips and tricks. This month one tip suggested  to avoid fogging of your bathroom mirrors and eye glasses, try applying some shaving cream to them. It reported one application would last several weeks.

07 Caldera Geneva

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 12:19:29 am »
In one of the handy man home DYI mags I susbscribe to,  there is a section on tips and tricks. This month one tip suggested  to avoid fogging of your bathroom mirrors and eye glasses, try applying some shaving cream to them. It reported one application would last several weeks.

How do you see through all the foam??   8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 12:19:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42