What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which taylor test kit?  (Read 8401 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Which taylor test kit?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 03:02:08 pm »
Another thought...what is your current TDS?
I don't know yet but I have some on order as we speak. I'll keep you posted...
When you measure FC and you find close to 0 ppm, then you add a tsp. of the 56, what is the ppm after 20 minutes of circulation?  
The first month it was 4-5ppm and now after 2 months I have only been getting a 3ppm.
After measuring that, if you were to add another tsp., what would the ppm be after another 20 min.?

I will give it a try tonight as I just added a tsp this morning. I'll keep in touch...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 03:02:08 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 12:14:50 pm »
WN,

Just checked my CYA and realized that is the first time I've ever checked it.  It tested out at 50 ppm......just right.  My pH was a little high (7.8 or so) and my CC showed a shock was needed so I shocked with 3 tbsp of non-buffered MPS which will lower the pH a bit plus added 2 tsp. dichlor since I had soaked just before testing.  Changed the filters and rinsed off the set just removed and I won't think of testing again until next weekend.  And I probably won't test for CYA again for another 2.5 years.... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 05:03:52 pm »
WN,

Just checked my CYA and realized that is the first time I've ever checked it.  It tested out at 50 ppm......just right.  My pH was a little high (7.8 or so) and my CC showed a shock was needed so I shocked with 3 tbsp of non-buffered MPS which will lower the pH a bit plus added 2 tsp. dichlor since I had soaked just before testing.  Changed the filters and rinsed off the set just removed and I won't think of testing again until next weekend.  And I probably won't test for CYA again for another 2.5 years.... 8-)
WSD,

How fresh is your water?

windsurfdog

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 03:20:03 pm »
About 4 weeks or so....
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 06:13:38 pm »
About 4 weeks or so....
My water was also at 40-50ppm 4 weeks in. I'm curious if yours will be over 100ppm like mine was after another 4 weeks. Just so I can have something to compare it to.

On a side note I cancelled my order of TDS strips. I'm just going to get them from my dealer when I go in later this week for a spare set of filters. I feel the need to support them as much as I can after all they did for me. :) I still haven't changed my water since the initial fill 10 weeks ago. There still hasn't been any cloudiness and it's still clearing up very fast after I turn the jets off. I want to see how long I can go, as long as I don't exceed the exceptable amount of TDS. We'll see. :-/

windsurfdog

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 02:48:29 pm »
I'll try to remember to check CYA in about 4 weeks and let you know.  Remind me if you think of it then and don't see a post from me...there's no accounting for "oldtimer's" disease... 8-)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 05:06:14 pm »
What about between the k-2005 and k-2006?
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:58 am »
What about between the k-2005 and k-2006?
Most of the people here use the k-2005. I'm not too familar w/ the '06 but I'm more than happy w/ my '05.

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 01:01:08 pm »
nlittle..........the differences between the 05 and 06 kits are:

The 06 has no bromine test and the chlorine is measured by adding chemicals till the water changes color and then mulitplying the drops by a factor.  This allows you to measure higher values than the 05 kit due to the color limitation of the scale on the block that you compare the water color too.  The disadvantage is the powder for the color change on the 06 kit is more expensive than the liquid ones for 05 kit.  

I thought I had ordered the 05 kit and instead 06 showed up.  I then ordered just the color block from the 05 kit so now I have both in a way. The chemicals are the same except for chlorine measurement.  Hope this helps.  

nlittle

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 01:16:18 pm »
Thanks!
That does help.  I looked at the taylor site but couldn't really tell.
:)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 02:26:39 pm »
nlittle..........the differences between the 05 and 06 kits are:

The 06 has no bromine test and the chlorine is measured by adding chemicals till the water changes color and then mulitplying the drops by a factor.  This allows you to measure higher values than the 05 kit due to the color limitation of the scale on the block that you compare the water color too.  The disadvantage is the powder for the color change on the 06 kit is more expensive than the liquid ones for 05 kit.  

I thought I had ordered the 05 kit and instead 06 showed up.  I then ordered just the color block from the 05 kit so now I have both in a way. The chemicals are the same except for chlorine measurement.  Hope this helps.  

The K-2005 uses color comparison to measure chlorine and is easier to use.  The K2006 uses the titration method which is more difficult but very accurate.  If you are technical and shock when your combined chlorine reaches .2ppm, the K-2006 will measure that value while the K-2005 will not.

nlittle

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 02:46:26 pm »
Well I just bought a 2005 on ebay for $30 (incl shipping).
It was used just 2x so hopefully it will be good.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 02:46:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42