What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I stink...  (Read 13218 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: I stink...
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 10:11:33 am »
re: "pseudomonas smell"

Pseudomonas = http://textbookofbacteriology.net/pseudomonas.html

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 10:11:33 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 11:46:21 am »
I think Bama's smell is a non-chemical water born bacteria smell.
I used my fishtank water as an example because (this probably really sounds nuts) I smell the water when I feed my fish..If I get that "earthy water" smell, I know all is well..anything else, I look for bodies  :'(... when my tub has gone cloudy and I shock like crazy, I get that pseudomonas smell... the nose knows!
That earthy fishtank smell is a reason that I can't eat catfish...they smell just like that raw and cooked (probably because they are bottom dwellers!).. :o
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 11:55:51 am »
But Bama says the tub water doens't have an odor itself. So it makes me think it's a reaction of Bama's own body chemistry reacting to something. Some one who showers 2x a day and soaks for hours in clean water shouldn't really have an odor.

Bama, you've mentioned that you've been changing the dichlor amounts that you add after you soak. Have you tested them to ensure you're reaching 5ppm?

If the water is balanced and the dichlor levels drop below 2 ppm when you go back in the tub, thats pretty clean water, I'm at a loss of why it would cause you to get skanky. Unless something needs to be cleaned in the tub, have you checked behind the spa pillows, and wipe down along the water line? (a MR clean sponge works well). Other areas folks forget about are under the filter lid, and the inside ring of the filter floater doohickey.(some tubs don't have this).

Or perhaps it's something else? (diet, laundry detergent, new perfume)?  -  something aint mixing right o r agreeeing with you.  Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions that the "eau de skank #5"  is hot tub related?

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 12:50:35 pm »
If the water is balanced and the dichlor levels drop below 2 ppm when you go back in the tub, thats pretty clean water, I'm at a loss of why it would cause you to get skanky.
Drewstar, every now and then you make a post like this that makes it seem like you didn't bother to read the whole thread.:-? ;)  We are all just guessing here, but by applying chlorine only once at the end of a day of multiple soaks, Bama is likely taking several dips in untreated water, because any chlorine residual is probably used up after her first soak of the day.  Since bacteria multiply exponentially, she could easily be carrying bacteria out of the water, where depending on the type, it could continue to grow on her skin (or die --either way think skank) -- long before they have created enough waste in the tub water to cause an odor.

The "Vermonter" method of dosing after use works fine for many people who use their tub once/day or less... often alone or with immediate family, but has weaknesses for multiple uses, infrequent use, guests, and  parties -- due to not maintaining residual chlorine at all times.  IMO, those situations require a system that maintains a sanitizer residual, like regular doses of chlorine, a bromine floater, baqua, etc.

Bama, this little rant reminded me of some thing else that may help in this situation.  While Nature2 should be considered a secondary sanitizer, not a replacement for regular chlorine doses, it may help keep bacteria growth in check between doses.  The mini-doses we talked about, along with N2 may be a good system for you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:03:27 pm by Reese »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 01:00:09 pm »
Drewstar, every now and then you make a post like this that makes it seem like you didn't bother to read the whole thread.:-?  We are all just guessing here, but by applying chlorine only once at the end of a day of multiple soaks, Bama is likely taking several dips in untreated water, because any chlorine residual is probably used up after her first soak of the day.  Since bacteria multiply exponentially, she could easily be carrying bacteria out of the water, where depending on the type, it could continue to grow on her skin -- long before they have created enough waste in the tub water to cause an odor.

The "Vermonter" method of dosing after use works fine for many people who use their tub once/day or less... often alone or with immediate family, but has weaknesses for multiple uses, infrequent use, guests, and  parties -- due to not maintaining residual chlorine at all times.  IMO, those situations require a system that maintains a sanitizer residual, like regular doses of chlorine, a bromine floater, baqua, etc.

Bama, this little rant reminded me of some thing else that may help in this situation.  While Nature2 should be considered a secondary sanitizer, not a replacement for regular chlorine doses, it may help keep bacteria growth in check between doses.  The mini-doses we talked about, along with N2 may be a good system for you.

Reese. You may be right, but then again, you could be wrong.  Does my suggestion that it may be somehting other than what you think bother you?  Lately I get the impression that I am annoying you some how?

07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 01:23:37 pm »
Reese. You may be right, but then again, you could be wrong.  Does my suggestion that it may be somehting other than what you think bother you?  Lately I get the impression that I am annoying you some how?
Hopefully, with phrases like "we're all just guessing here", and "IMO" I have left the impression that there are other potential solutions.  8-)

As far as you annoying me: nah, more often I find you entertaining, which I believe is your intention.  When you offer advice on a forum, you expose yourself to differing opinions, and have to expect challenges.  As long as they are well thought out, and take into account the information that has been presented, that is healthy for a forum.  In this case, I took exception to your statement that as long as the tub is dosed to 5ppm, it should be safe -- for the reasons I explained.

As for the times we've disagreed on things like ozone and the size of your chlorine scoop:  I'd hope that we are both big enough to be able to move on with no hard feelings.  At least we haven't resorted to calling each other out over things that were posted years ago, which I saw in another thread.  I especially appreciated your balanced presentation of the pro's and con's of ozone the other day, even though I know that you believe in it strongly.  Perhaps, I should have posted to say that -- as I probably should have restrained from the "do you even read the whole thread?", comment. ::) My apologies.

Now back to the matter at hand.  What do you think is the likely explanation for Bama's concern?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 01:32:58 pm »
Thats cool Reese thanks for your response.  -just needed a sanity check.

I do slightly disagree with your condition that all posts be thought out, I take that to imply that you belive  open thinking posts are frowned apon. If so, I'm going to be on the other end of the spectrum.  

I had no problem with the scoop thing. I was happy to post my mistakes.

But anyhow, what's the cause of bama's stench? As I posted (Reese, do you take the time to read all the thread? ;)) it could be many things and have absolutely no connection to the tub, as I stated. However, if it's the water, you seem to be addressing those concerns, however, in addition to the water, bacteria may be some place else, pillows, side walls, and such.  

If we wanted to seeif indeed it was the tub. Bama could forgo using the tub for a few days, while keeping everything else constant. If the smell persists, It's not the tub, If it goes away, I think we could assume its something to do with hot tub use.

And I'd recomend an Ozinator over the N2.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:39:50 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 01:56:58 pm »
...And I'd recomend an Ozinator over the N2.
Aw, c'mon!  In the newfound spirit of detente, that should have at least had a  ;) after it.  ;) ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 02:02:27 pm »
 :P

;D ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 02:05:36 pm »
I know I am treading on thin ice, since I almost detect an agreement with with Reese, but I believe the bacteria theory..Because I have also experienced the same "earthy" smell.  And you will experience that same smell when the chlorine levels in your swimming pool are low.  I try to keep the chlorine levels in my pool as low as possible. I know when I smell that odor on the kids, it's time to push the chlorine...it is almost a pond water smell. BUT you have to have a very good nose to even detect it...

Bama, I am sure if you follow the methods that these guys have suggested for your tub, you will no longer smell like you came in from the swamp!  ;D ;D ;)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 02:16:19 pm »
Try upping your chlorine a bit.  You might not want to soak in chlorine, but it's really not going to hurt you (unless you have a medical reason to not, but then you'd maybe not even be using dichlor).  

If with higher levels of chlorine result in the odor problem going away, then it's probably bacteria.  Another suggestion migh be to super chlorinate your water and try something different- like bromine.  Bromine leaves a definate scent on your skin- not skanky or anything.  

Or try the N2 route.  It's supposed to go okay with low levels of chlorine anyway.  

I've never tried it so I can't personally vouch for it.

Brewman

Reese

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 02:34:29 pm »
I know I am treading on thin ice, since I almost detect an agreement with with Reese...
;D ;D :-?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 03:02:40 pm »
Trixie,

How 'bout testing your FC, TC and extrapolating your CC after each soak for a day or two using your once daily dosing method.  This would give us some concrete evidence and allow us to either rule in or rule out your dosing routine.  I know it would be a pain but it may answer your questions completely.

And if you need help doing this, just give me a call...Tallahassee can't be too far away....and you won't have to model a bathing suit for me...;)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

anne

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:34 pm »
Smells are so hard to describe and to convey to one another! I find it sort of interesting that we have two threads now regarding recognizing odors- ozone and Bama! Anyway, for what it is worth, pseudomonas is also decribed as smelling like wet corn tortillas. That may sound weird, but you'll know it as soon as you smell it!!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

Bama

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 07:39:40 pm »
I'm anxious to test the smaller increments of dichlor after each soak as opposed to one big dose at night.  However, for the last couple of days, I've been sick, so I haven't soaked...therefore,  I've been smelling like Este' Lauder-Pleasures!  SWEEEETTT!  What a change!  
I suspect Reese is on the right track, cuz my water is pristine and no smell.  I'm the only thing that is smelly and I don't notice it until I'm dry.
I think my body has been invaded by bacteria....HELP!!!!!
Bonniebelle...I'm glad I'm not the only stank-skank on this forum!! ;D  ;D

Drew, to answer your question on the 5ppm...uh, no I don't check it.  
I just look at the pretty colors on the test strip to see if they match the colors on the bottle that say, "ok".  :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 07:39:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42