What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I stink...  (Read 13217 times)

Bama

I stink...
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:07:26 pm »
I may use my tub several times per day, ok?
I use the Vermonter's method and toss in 1 Tbl of 97% Dichlor every evening into the 650 gal tub.
I shock every Saturday whether it needs it or not.
So, when do I stink?

Since I soak so much, I skip bathing inbetween or I would be wet all day long.
I bathe in the morning before soak and at night after the final soak, it's inbetween that I find I don't like the way my skin smells.  My husband says he doesn't smell anything, but then he's not known for having a good sniffer anyway.  There is a definite skank smell I got going on.  I'm careful not to use lotions or anything, because I know I'm going right back into the tub soon.  I don't smell anything in the water when I raise the cover on my hot tub, it's just me!  :-[
I don't know why I would stink??? :o

Hot Tub Forum

I stink...
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:07:26 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: I stink...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:14:39 pm »
if it's an issue, you might consider a quick rinse off after tubbing...not a full shower, just enough to rinse off any chlorine and "funk" afterwards..
RIP C-Rod

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:38:09 pm »
Is it a chlorine smell?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:55:58 pm »
 I think for me, it would depend on where the smell was coming from. :o

Reese

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:10:11 pm »
Bacteria can grow rapidly in warm water.  It is possible that your morning dip uses up any residual chlorine left from the previous night's dose, and waiting until the end of the day to dose the tub allows anything left behind from your multiple soaks several hours to grow. :o  

IMO your 1 tbl dose is a little light, especially with the amount of use.  Consider adding 1/2 tsp after each dip during the day, and a bigger dose at night, for a total of 1.5 - 2 tbl/day.  The small doses should help keep things in check, but not create enough residual to bother you.  If multiple doses is too much hassle, another alternative would be to dose 1 tbl after your morning soak, and another tbl at the end of the day.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 07:10:58 pm by Reese »

Bama

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:29:24 pm »
Bacteria can grow rapidly in warm water.  It is possible that your morning dip uses up any residual chlorine left from the previous night's dose, and waiting until the end of the day to dose the tub allows anything left behind from your multiple soaks several hours to grow. :o  

IMO your 1 tbl dose is a little light, especially with the amount of use.  Consider adding 1/2 tsp after each dip during the day, and a bigger dose at night, for a total of 1.5 - 2 tbl/day.  The small doses should help keep things in check, but not create enough residual to bother you.  If multiple doses is too much hassle, another alternative would be to dose 1 tbl after your morning soak, and another tbl at the end of the day.  

Reese,

Since the smell left on my skin is NOT a chlorine smell and my test strips show no free chlorine (strip does show total chlorine) prior to soaking...
I think you may be right....it's probably bacteria,  but I didn't want to soak in chlorine either.  Hmmm?  Chlorine or bacteria, which way do I go???
  I believe I soak more than the average person.  I was tossing in 2 TBL of dichlor every night, but I think that may have been too much at once.  You may have the answer to a happy medium!  I'll try this.
I'm still pretty new at this and I still don't have it right yet.
Thanks for your help.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:37:35 pm »
Bama, I have a super sniffer...is the smell that you are detecting a clean fish-tank kind of smell...not nasty, but earthy?  Remember, you are sweating while you are soaking too...and you don't instantly stop sweating when you step out of the tub..I know the one thing that I don't like is when my head sweats...I have noticed on occasion a non-chemical earthy kind of smell...but I usually shower or at least rinse after I soak.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:59:31 pm »
I would be wet all day long.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Bama

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 11:52:49 pm »
Bama, I have a super sniffer...is the smell that you are detecting a clean fish-tank kind of smell...not nasty, but earthy?  Remember, you are sweating while you are soaking too...and you don't instantly stop sweating when you step out of the tub..I know the one thing that I don't like is when my head sweats...I have noticed on occasion a non-chemical earthy kind of smell...but I usually shower or at least rinse after I soak.

Yes, it is an earthy smell, I never thought about sweat.  I'm not sure that would be it since my water temp is only 97.  Maybe, that could be part of the problem???

Since I may soak up to 4 times in one day, I was skipping the extra rinse.
I have already started rinsing after each use, but I can't help but be curious about the smell.

bluesman

• '07 Marquis Reward
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 06:10:05 am »
Have you looked into aromatherapy?

Bluesman 8-)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 07:30:17 am »
re:"I may soak up to 4 times in one day"

I doubt that will continue for very long....

but until that slows down Bama I would rinse off in the shower
after every soak.....you say you don't wanna be wet all day
but if you are already wet when you exit the tub whats it really
gonna hurt to extend it another couple of minutes by rinsing off in the shower?

I am no doctor, but I wouldn't think sitting in a hot tub 4 times a day is
even very good for you or your skin.

On average.....how long is each soak?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:52:30 am by Zep »

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 07:31:01 am »
Maybe it's your hair.  I mean, didn't you post about your long beautiful locks?  You should be shampooing at least every day or two.  

I would forget the tub problems and just start showering more.

Stay wet...and don't forget to post those pics!   ;)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 09:39:03 am »
Bama, I know the smell then, and I am guessing that it may also be bacteria but it is probably not occurring at a level high enough to cause problems. Obviously the baceria levels in the tub fluctuate up and down and sometimes the levels are just higher..I also know that there are people who have a super sensitive sniffer...so probably everyone experiences this but they arent sensitive enough to detect it.
I have found that, for the most part, I can tell my bromine levels with just a smell...and when the water is starting to bloom (like when your water is not cloudy, but not crystal clear and you know something is not right), I can smell that earthy smell and sometimes a Pseudomonas smell (almost like fermenting grapes)...So I think you have a great sense of smell and are just detecting water that is a bit under treated... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 09:45:37 am »
Boni, I'm inviting you over to sniff our tub and help get it in order. ;)
RIP C-Rod

96SC

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 09:54:10 am »
I am by no means a chemist so this is a long shot.  Maybe the lotion, perfume, rinse, shampoo etc. you use is reacting with the spa chemicals.  We were experiencing an stong ammonia smell while we showered.  It turned out that the bar soap and shampoo when they lathered and came in contact with each other gave off the ammonia smell.  Both were name brands,  maybe you can try a different lotion, rinse, perfume etc.

Like I say it's a long shot, ammonia is nothing like an earthy smell. (Unless the earth where you live makes your eyes water and takes your breath away) :D
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 09:54:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42