What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: power out for over 12 hours- New Hampshire  (Read 2574 times)

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
power out for over 12 hours- New Hampshire
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:45:10 am »
I am in southern NH where there was/is an ice storm.  Last night my power went out and it is still out....how long before I should worry about my tub?  :'(    At the time of outtage it was up to temp (104+) and covered.  It's on raised deck so there is no real protection underneath.  I just got it last week and will be devistated if this act of nature breaks something!
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Hot Tub Forum

power out for over 12 hours- New Hampshire
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:45:10 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: power out for over 12 hours- New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:01:26 am »
Resist the urge to open the cover.  Do whatever you can reasonably do to help your spa retain it's heat.  Cover with blankets, quilts, tarps, whatever you have around.
 A good quality spa should hold it's heat for several days with no power- depending on the temperature in your area.

If you have access to a generator, there are some other things you can do like putting a light bulb in your service bay for some extra heat.  

Your owners manual may have some tips in this area too, mine does.  And you can also call your dealer to see if they have any suggestons.

Brewman

nicker

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:49:09 pm »
at this pint I would not worry to much about freezing on maybe the third day Id start to worry.  But as Brewman says if possible cover with blankets, tarp etc. AND DO NOT OPEN THE COVER doing so would let out allot of warmth.

PS once you have power please let us know what the tub temp is at. I will be curious as to how long your power was out and what the temp was down to.  I bet you will be surpised how warm it still is.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:05:44 pm »
When I lost power Saturday night for 5+ hrs, my tub only lost 1 degree with an outside temp between 29-31.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:09:57 pm »
At those temperatures, you have much less to worry about than if you had near zero temps!

Brewman

brentp

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:00:54 pm »
I'm in Southern NH too.   For us, power out ~ 2am, . . . came back on ~ 1 pm (11 - 12 hours).

FWIW:  Tub is set at 102 and was at 99 when I started it back up.  It was a windy morning too, . . . which causes the temps to drop faster than a still day.  I did go out in the morning a adjust the cover 'skirt' so it was tight down around the edge to the tub.  

Not too bad  :)

brentp

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:02:34 pm »
I'm in Southern NH too.   For us, power out ~ 2am, . . . came back on ~ 1 pm (11 - 12 hours).

FWIW:  Tub is set at 102 and was at 99 when I started it back up.  It was a windy morning too, . . . which causes the temps to drop faster than a still day.  I did go out in the morning a adjust the cover 'skirt' so it was tight down around the edge to the tub.  

Not too bad  :)

And the piece of infomation I forgot and left out, . . . ~ 25 degrees all day today.  :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:28:26 pm »
I am in southern NH where there was/is an ice storm.  Last night my power went out and it is still out....how long before I should worry about my tub?  :'(    At the time of outtage it was up to temp (104+) and covered.  It's on raised deck so there is no real protection underneath.  I just got it last week and will be devistated if this act of nature breaks something!

My tub has had no heat since Sunday, when it was 102.  Down to 88 as of Tuesday 8pm.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bwbski22

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:04:03 pm »
wmccall when do you plan on having heat working in your tub again?

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:38 pm »

nlittle:

I would make sure the straps are hooked so the top fits tight, you probably did that already, but I just thought I'd mention it anyway, because I never use my straps unless it's really windy.

Good luck.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 11:06:44 pm »
Although no one on here has yet mentioned it, I would throw the breaker so that when power does come back on, it doesn't "cycle" the switches too much. When power fails around here, it usually comes back on and then drops right back out again (most likely due to a break the power company didn't know was there until the first section was repaired).  I do this with most of my electrically sensitive equipment anytime there is a power failure. From Home Theater components to Hot tubs.  Just makes more sense to be safe than to have them blown by the power cycles.  Burnt out a $750 amp one time (luckily it was covered under insurance)
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 07:52:09 am »
wmccall when do you plan on having heat working in your tub again?

As soon as the pump from Dynasty arrives at the local dealer who is doing the service. He told me he would give me priority when it did come.  12F this morning.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 07:52:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42