What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco  (Read 3935 times)

TASTEofVirginia

Costco
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:00:26 am »
I am curious if anybody has purchased a tub from costco and if so what has been the results?   Do they service the spa or do you have to find a service person?  Also I was looking at the shipping and delivery process and it said 4-6 weeks to your curbside.  Just curious about this because we are looking for a quality spas but not over our budget of $6,000 when said and done. And just looking for a small spas with 3 to 4 seats for therapeutic purposes.  Thanks for the info.  

Hot Tub Forum

Costco
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:00:26 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Costco
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:09:35 am »
Costco doesn't service anything, nor are they likely to be able to help you with any questions you have concerning you spa's operation, setup, and other post purchase support.  Problem or questions on startup?  Don't bother asking THEM.  
 As for service, you'll likely be given some phone number to call- possibly an independent spa repair service that operates in your area.
 Curbside delivery means that you'll have to move the spa into location yourself, have it connected and started up.  
 Really, all Costco is doing as acting as an agent- they sell you the spa and that's about it.  
  Most people advise wet testing- something not possible at Costco- you probably can't even see a filled spa running.  I'd never buy something that expensive without at the very least seeing it running.

In addition to looking at places like Costco or Sam's club, try a few local spa dealers.
 Most of them have value priced lines, let them know what you have to spend- you might find they have spas in your price line.  And they'll be there for you.
For $6000 if you're looking for a smaller spa, you'll probably get a better quality one at a dealer.  
 At least look- that costs nothing.  
Brewman

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 09:32:18 am »

Here is a link I found that has people discussing the pros/cons of Costco tubs.

http://forums.dealnews.com/read.php?6,2548753

I am a huge Costco/Sams fan but I personally would'nt buy a tub from Costco.

But every consumer is very different....if you are on a very tight budget and are more of a handyman / "do-it-yourself-er" then I think a spa from Costco/Sams could work for you.

I will say that I don't think Sams/Costco got to be two hugely successful companies by selling products that their customers end up with huge problems with.

Basically you are not going to get the same amount of "hand-holding" when you buy a tub at Costco/Sams.....probably not quite as long a warranty.....but you will be able to get it serviced because Costco/Sams do not want people pulling back up to their storefronts mad with tubs that don't work.....again.....they didn't become what they have by operating like that.

I just preferred the "hand-holding[/b]" I got from a regular spa dealer with years of experience just selling tubs. Advice about the concrete pad, advice about the electrical, setup, first fill, and chems when first turned on, very experienced tub delivery people with years of hands-on experience squeezing a tub through a tight fence...ect...

It just depends on you the consumer and whats important to you.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 09:35:37 am by Zep »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:35:33 am »
I spent $6500 3 years ago, I could have gotten a smaller tub delivered and put in place at your price.  My friend spent $2500 on a Cal spa about 5 years ago and it was delivered and serviced by the local dealer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dkersten

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:51:32 pm »
I did a lot of research on the tubs from Costco last year.  The service factor was a big issue for me.  I have never seen a more feature rich tub than what they have in stock at our local Costco right now, so even being an HS fan now, I have to say its tempting.

First off let me explain why:  for $5000 you get just about every feature you could want.. 7 seats with tons of jets, floor jets, volcano jets, 2 large pumps, a 24 hour circ pump, decent looking filtration (no worse than my tiger river), Ozonator, waterfall, multi color lighting, nice looking shell, 4 speaker stereo.. the list goes on.. Finally, the kicker:  unlimited lifetime warranty through Costco.

Now, let me tell you why I would NOT do it:  The lifetime warranty is great, but you have to bring it back to the store for your refund.. this is NOT the easiest thing to do with a hot tub.  You will have to find a service tech willing to work on it if it breaks down.  The shell has a 10 year manufacturer warranty but once again.. if you have a problem you have to deal with it yourself.  You cant wet test it, so even though it LOOKS comfortable and all, it might not fit you.  Finally, I would not spend $5k on something that I dont have a person that I can call when something goes wrong.  

The tubs on their website are not the ones in the stores.. The ones in the stores are some off brand that you will not find anywhere else.  I dont recall the name, even though I have been to Costco 15 times in the last 6 days and have looked at that tub every time I walked past it.  Once again, spending $5k on an off brand anything is scary to me.

As far as reviews, when I was looking at last years version of this tub, I read reviews from some people that owned them, and they were mostly favorable, although most techs had nothing good to say about them.  I dont recall the forums that I found a lot of information on them, but after some serious research I came across some good information.  In the end I stopped myself from buying about 3 minutes before walking in to purchase.  I am happy I did.. I got my Tiger River (made by Hotspring) for $5600 delivered and set up.. Spent another ~800 on the deck and wiring, and bought a cover lifter for another $300..

MACK

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 07:11:38 pm »
http://www.hotdirecttubs.com/starboard.html       take a look at this spa. I copied it and took to my local dealer, and gave me something to start with, long story but I got this hottub steps, cover , real wood , and start up ecoone chemicals all for $4500.oo and I really like this tub. and the seat at the lounge both ends is nice. hope this helps you, I did go to the factory in Richmond Va, and not I am satified customer. I didn't call this number for the factory direct. but printed it and took it to my dealer, and the spa is a Barefoot spa  model 57BL made in Richmond Va.  I did drive to the factory and look at the spas before I decided on this spa. look at the BareFoot spa  web site for dealers in your area . hope this is help to you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 07:11:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42