What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Five Tri-X filters....What to soak them in?  (Read 8788 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Five Tri-X filters....What to soak them in?
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:52:13 pm »
My HS tub has five, count 'em, five filters.  In a month or so I think I should soak them for the first time before I clean them in the dishwasher.  Has anyone discovered a convenient container that you can fit all five in at one time to minimize tub down-time?

(I would buy a second set, but 5 Tri-X filters do not come cheap at all!)

Any ideas?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Five Tri-X filters....What to soak them in?
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:52:13 pm »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Five Tri-X filters....What to soak them in?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:04:16 pm »
Buy the regular paper HS filters which are much cheaper and use them while the Tri's are getting cleaned, or buy a large Rubbermaid container.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:18:30 pm »
wow...5 filters? And I thought 3 were bad...ouch. I just ordered 3 new regular filters, but I sure couldn't afford the Tri-x ones.... :-[

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:22:39 pm »
I've had my tub for about 14 months.  I rinse filters once a month, and clean them at water fills, both with spray on cleaner and in the dishwasher.  I have only soaked once and I only soaked the one that is on the 24 hr circ pump.  The rest really don't need to get soaked as they really don't get dirty.  I have one extra tri x filter that I use for soak times.

HTH!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:40:12 pm »
Do not replace all 5 with paper filters they don't have the capacity with the pumps on.

Use a paper filter on the circulator pump (the one with the gray pipe).  The other 4 filter can then be removed without a problem as long as you don't turn the pumps on.

You can then simply put the Tri-X filters in the dishwasher.  I usually rinse them first.

You could also do this in 2 cycles without the paper filter or all 5 at once if you turn the power to the spa off.  

The key here is to realize what each filter does.  The pair on the left are for one of the pumps, the pair on the right are for the other pump.  The one in the middle with the gray pipe is for the circulator pump and is the only one needed if the pumps are off.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:18:55 pm »
My HS tub has five, count 'em, five filters.

Five filters  :o  Are they smaller than the standard sized pleated one's? If not, how come your tub requires so many? Do alot of HS's tubs require 5?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:15:14 pm by WHY_NOT »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:16 am »
This is important:

Do not rinse in the dishwasher if you have JetDry or similar product in a dispenser, and be sure to turn off the heat dry cycle.

This is mentioned in the owner's manual somewhere, but I just heard about it recently from another dealer. It can mess up the filters in such a way they cannot be reused.

My dishwasher has this dispenser, but we have never filled it, so I can do my filters.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:10:02 am »
This is important:

Do not rinse in the dishwasher if you have JetDry or similar product in a dispenser, and be sure to turn off the heat dry cycle.

This is mentioned in the owner's manual somewhere, but I just heard about it recently from another dealer. It can mess up the filters in such a way they cannot be reused.

My dishwasher has this dispenser, but we have never filled it, so I can do my filters.

8-)

Hmm....I've asked on here and have seen others ask as well about the Jet Dry.  This is the first time I've seen anyone say something bad about it.  I do not have the option on my DW to turn JD off.  I do try to was them when it is low or out, but that is not always the case.

Richs100

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:12 am »
Thanks all for your suggestions, but I guess I need to claify something:

1. If you wash the Tri-Ex filters in the dishwasher, do you also need to periodically soak them in filter cleaner?

2. If so, I was looking for suggestions as to the most effecient way to soak them all at once to avoid having the tub down for a long period of time.  I could use a big rubbermaid trash can, but it seems like that would require a lot of the filter cleaner solution.  Has anyone discovered a good way to do this?

3.  I have also been told I can use dishwasher detergent (like Cascade)in the dishwasher, or even bleach, which will clean the filters.  Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:31:58 am by Richs100 »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:40:51 am »
Rich,
I've been using the dishwasher. I use Cascade (NOT a sudsing product like Dawn), put the 4 Tri-X in (I've replaced the Tri-X on the circ pump with a standard pleated filter) the dishwasher, turn it on 'pots and pans' cycle, turn heat dry OFF, and let it go. If anything, I'll rinse the tree debris off in the sink before washing, but this has worked well for me. Also, it gives me one spare Tri-X, and I'll be buying 3 more, one at a time, in the future, so I have a spare set to rotate....plus another pleated. ;)
The cascade (or other non-foaming cleanser) cuts the grease, so I don't use any other cleaner. I've done this maybe 1/2 dozen times, and they come out fine. Just remember, NO HEAT DRY!
Good luck!
RIP C-Rod

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:56 am »

Five filters  :o  Are they smaller than the standard sized pleated one's? If not, how come your tub requires so many? Do alot of HS's tubs require 5?
They're the same size, they're a different material with a higher flow rate than the regular pleated filter. Gotta remember, the big HS tubs have a lot of water to move, and all that no-bypass filtering stuff. ;)
RIP C-Rod

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:53:56 am »
This is what I do  8-) :

I put them in the dishwasher about once a month with Cascade in both of the compartments that are available.  I figure the more, the better, as we want to remove the oils and gunk.  Cascade will do that and it is formulated not to foam.  I am a thrifty girl and use vinegar in my jet dry dispenser all the time.  The small amount of vinegar that remains on your filters will not hurt your tub.  

I hose (or kitchen spray in the winter) them off from top to bottom BEFORE AND AFTER I put them in the dishwasher.  This removes the bits of leaves and hair and whatever other big particles the filter trapped.  The dishwasher does not do that very well if at all--it just removes the oils and buildup that a filter cleaner would remove.  The rinsing helps to remove any more particles that I didn't get the first time, as well as any leftover Cascade and vinegar.  I have never had a foaming issue with this method--never.  :)

I have soaked my Tri-X once and did it in an 18-gallon rubbermaid bin.  I had 2 rows.     I had to add more water then the recipe said in order to cover them all, but it did not seem to affect the cleaning ability. I soaked them overnight with the lid on.  I was surprised at the amount of sediment left in the bottom when all was said and done.  I wonder if it was "gunk" sediment or actually part of the filter itself that came off.  :-?

Anyway, I left it all in there and poured it into a 5-gallon bucket.  I can't remember if it fit exactly or if I had to dump some out.  The bucket is now labeled with the date I used it and it is in the basement awaiting it's next use.  I wonder if I will just leave the sediment in there or if I will try to suction it out.  I think I may just leave it in there.  I wore rubber gloves while I took them out of that solution.

I won't use bleach--I have never heard of bleach removing oils.  I have noticed that the Cascade has helped to whiten my filters.  (I got used Tri-x thrown in on my deal and they look much better now!)

It would be my opinion that the dishwasher/cascade does the same thing as the spray-on filter cleaner.   I went through practically a whole bottle of that in just ONE cleaning, so the Cascade is more cost effective. I also must add that I have a newer, powerful dishwasher so that may make a difference in my experience.    :)
2005 HS Vanguard

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 09:57:55 am »
(I've replaced the Tri-X on the circ pump with a standard pleated filter) quote]

T-Lady,

I don't think I have ever seen a standard filter.  Do you find it harder to clean?  I should probably check one out next time I'm in for chemicals.
2005 HS Vanguard

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 09:58:10 am »
 I have never had a foaming issue with this method--never.  :)
Observation: If you're using a non-foaming cleanser, you shouldn't have suds at any stage....residue, maybe, but not foaming. ;)
RIP C-Rod

Richs100

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »
Man, I love this Forum!  I learn something new every day.  VINEGAR in the jet-dry dispenser.  I would have never thought of that in a million years!  No more little bottles of jet-dry for me!

Thanks for all the input.  I think I'm gonna skip the filter cleaner soak solution and just go with the dishwasher/Cascade/Vinegar deal and see how it goes.  If it works, it is so much easier to do.

Again, Thanks all.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42