What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PH to high after adding alkalinity yesterday  (Read 2909 times)

BigK75

PH to high after adding alkalinity yesterday
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:08:48 pm »
Hey Guys:

I got another question.  Yesterday took my water to the shop and got these results:
Alkalinity = 70
PH = 7.0

So I put in alkalinity increaser (about 180 grams) and ph increase (30 grams).  Today I took my water back into the store and todays numbers:
Alkalinity = 135
PH = 8.2  

I was going to go out and add some PH down about 50 grams.  Should I add 25 one day and then 25 the next?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Claude

Hot Tub Forum

PH to high after adding alkalinity yesterday
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:08:48 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: PH to high after adding alkalinity yesterday
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 01:13:52 pm »
I'd go with the smaller doses and see where that takes you. You'd hate to put yourself back at square one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:15:08 pm by WHY_NOT »

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 01:14:59 pm »
BigK

Alkalinity adjuster (Baking Soda) will also raise pH.  You should only adjust one at a time.  Adjust your alkalinity first to bring it into range, wait a couple of hours to retest and then adjust your pH.  Don't worry it will get alot easier with time
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:15:29 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:16:33 pm »
In the future, you might consider just adding one chemical at a time, and testing before adding anything.  Some adjustments to Ph als affect alk.  You might be less prone to overshooting.
Brewman

neocacher

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 01:46:17 pm »
I fought with this for 3 weeks when I got my new tub.

All that really matters is where you pH is at.   Alk is ONLY a buffer to keep the pH more stable if it bounces around.  

However many people such as us cannont get ph AND alk both in normal ranges at the same time.

So...........Get your pH down to where you want it with pH decreaser and do NOT WORRY about your alkalinity IF your pH remains stable.  Screw alkalinity, what good is a buffer if your pH is too high!  see my point?

I am sure I will get flamed, but this is what works for me and is the ONLY way I can get my pH to stay 7.4-7.6.  My alk is about 50-70, but I don't give a damn cuz my PH is stable and i have no other way to do it.

Also if alkalinity is high, it is VERY hard to lower the pH unless you put in a LOT of ph decreaser. So dont be surprised if you have to put in several tablespoons to lower it.  I would not put in more than 2 tbls at  time until you notice some pH drop, because once the alkalinity drops to about 60, the pH will come down quickly.

Neo
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 03:20:24 pm by neocacher »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 02:58:16 pm »
At your levels, here is what I would have done for my 485 gallon spa....add 1 tablespn spa up (baking soda) per day until my pH reached 7.4-7.6.  It would most likely take one or two tablespoons total to get there.  TA would rise to about 80 which is perfect for my water.  Small adjustments work best most of the time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 02:58:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42