What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Conflicting information...  (Read 6404 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Conflicting information...
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:16 pm »
I'm a bit confused...I'd read on this forum that ozone has a sweet smell, and it's been said that it smells something like fresh watermelon...I've got the '06 Grandee with ozone, and I've never smelled anything CLOSE to a fresh, sweet smell...I asked the fill-in sales people at the dealer I bought my tub from, and they looked at each other, then at me and said it's more of a 'funky' smell.....now THAT I have smelled, and I know it's not chlorine or bromine. Especially when first opening the cover, I get that face-full of steamy funk. I've checked sanitizer levels, which were fine, and even shocked because I thought it must be time for it....Even after washing the tri-x filters in the dishwasher and refilling with fresh water, it's still not a sweet smell.....is it possible that the translation of what it smells like is in the nostril of the beholder?
The sales guy said he's been in the business the past 15 years, so I assume he knows FAR more than me, in this...  :-?
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

Conflicting information...
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:16 pm »

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
Re: Conflicting information...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:59:16 pm »
Remember the smell that old laser printers and copiers made?   That's ozone.  I can smell ozone right when I lift the cover on my tub.

Watermelon???

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 01:19:34 pm »
You can also smell ozone right after a very big thunderstorm.  That fresh smell that you get is the ozone.  It does not last long.  If you are getting a foul smell when you open the cover, I would check your water!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 01:43:43 pm »
I've also heard a few folks compare it to watermelon ( A fresh, light somewhat sweet smell).  But personaly don't think it smells that way.  It  is light, and I think slighty antiseptic hint to it.  I don't find it offensive in the least, but have never thought "ohh watermellons".

Really wanna smell it? I went to a home show and there was a whole aisle dedicated to several vendors selling air purifiers using O3.  :)

When I first open my tub cover I can smell it.

Which on a side note is part of my "check before getting in" is Smell.

Smell, look, feel the water. (Clean, fresh, clear, light.) Run the jets notice clarity, opaicity, bubbles, -turn the jets off-  time how long to clear.
07 Caldera Geneva

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:11:58 pm »
I have the same thoughts on the smell as Drew.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:14:01 pm »
.....Smell, look, feel the water. (Clean, fresh, clear, light.) Run the jets notice clarity, opaicity, bubbles, -turn the jets off-  time how long to clear.

"Atomic batteries to power."
check
"Turbines to speed!"
 ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 02:21:14 pm »

"Atomic batteries to power."
check
"Turbines to speed!"
 ;D

Exactly. And being a complete Batman nut, I have in the past said that too myself....which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to pick a few brains around here about, I have a switch that I'd like to use to open a panel. I've been playing with the idea for a while on how to do this and wonder if the motors that some spas use for pop up speakers (they are motors right?) would work?

Here's the switch:

I'd like to have it slide up a panel or picture.
07 Caldera Geneva

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:24:18 pm »
The pop up speakers I saw seemed to be on more of a spring and gear system.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 02:26:10 pm »
The pop up speakers I saw seemed to be on more of a spring and gear system.

well that's no good.  :P
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 02:29:06 pm »
The pop speakers on my Optima are spring powered. Push down and they pop up.

But I don't think rigging up little electric motors would be all that hard.  While you're at it, put on a motor to open the cover, turn on the lights, power up the stereo, and activate the jets.  That would be really cool controlled by the bat cave head.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 02:33:59 pm »
I want it to slide open a panel on my bar.  And yea, an electric motor sounds obvious, but it's far from my forte' and I haven't a clue as were to begin.
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 02:43:49 pm »
That would be a challenge, no doubt.  Unless you are friends with Adam Savage or Jamie Heineman, or others in the Mythbusters crew.  Your project sounds right up their alley.  Unfortunately, I'd not really know how to proceed either.  

Would you want that Star Trek elevator door opening sound too?
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »
Star trek sound? Come on! That's just silly...or is it? Hmmmmmm.    ;) some one just reminded me that  there's a company that hides flat screen TVs behing artwork that automaticly  roll up...I'm thinking I may have this solved...well I need to build the built-in bar first.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:52:56 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 07:49:33 pm »
Absolutely smells like watermelons  to me....

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 11:26:21 pm »
Tat, If you've never washed the under side of your cover with a chlorine wash, it's time. Top sides of spa too. Maybe do it a second time in a day or two. Then check for the smell. If you put your nose right over where the bubbles come up there should be some ozone smell. If not, get 'em to check the ozone.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 11:26:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42