What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning Filter - I want to double check  (Read 1498 times)

neocacher

Cleaning Filter - I want to double check
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:31:46 pm »
I pulled my filter for the first time.  It has been 4 weeks.  Filter is slightly yellowed.  I inserted a spare filter.

Here is what I am doing.  Please advise if I am making big mistakes.

1.)  Diluted 1 quart of Spaguard filter cleaner with 2 gallons of water. (approximately 1/2 strength as recommended by someone on the board.)  Hope this isn't too weak.

2.)  This covers a little over 1/2 the filter in a 5 gallon bucket.  I will soak for several hours, and then turn filter upside down. Is that OK?

3.)  Tomorrow morning I plan on rinsing filter thoughoughly in another bucket and in utility sink for another 15 minutes or more.

4.) Do I need to do anything more other than to let it dry?  

5.) I will save cleaning solution and reclean spare filter every 30 days or so, and save solution for up to 1/2 year for 4-5 more cleanings.

Is this all reasonable or did I miss the boat by a lot?

Neo

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning Filter - I want to double check
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:31:46 pm »

Reese

Re: Cleaning Filter - I want to double check
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:47:31 pm »
...This covers a little over 1/2 the filter in a 5 gallon bucket.  I will soak for several hours, and then turn filter upside down. Is that OK?...I will save cleaning solution and reclean spare filter every 30 days or so, and save solution for up to 1/2 year for 4-5 more cleanings.
My concern with soaking only half the filter at a time is that any material that was loosened may dry back on the filter while the other half soaks.  I would either find a smaller container that would allow your solution to cover the whole filter, mix up more so that it would be covered in your 5 gal bucket, or at least rinse off the soaked side when flipping the filter.  IMO, since you plan to re-use the solution, using more won't cost that much -- although 6 months sounds like a long time to keep the solution. :P

FYI, if you are concerned about the cost of the filter cleaner, I use 1/2 cup of TSP in enough water to cover my filters in a 5 gal bucket.  It seems to do a good job.  I have heard that others have had success using dishwasher detergent.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:49:13 pm by Reese »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:08:32 am »
I also suggest adding more solution and water to cover the entire filter.  You should be able to get several uses out of the cleaning solution.  

Simply soaking the filter in cleaner will disolve any oils that have accumulated in the media I would also recomend spraying the filter with water to throughly rinse all the cleaner out of the filter, and flush out any particulate matter that is caught between the pleats.
07 Caldera Geneva

neocacher

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:54:26 am »
Reese,

What is TSP?

Neo

Reese

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:20 pm »
Tri Sodium Phosphate.  Used to clean/prep walls prior to painting among other things.  Usually found in paint or cleaner sections of hardware stores.  It dissolves the oils/gunk in the filters.  Some people are concerned about using it because of the effects of phospates on the enviroment, but someone once told me that spa filter cleaners are just liquid TSP.  Regardless of which cleaner you use -- it is a good idea to make sure your waste treatment system can deal with it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:19:02 pm by Reese »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42