What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pool question  (Read 3986 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Pool question
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:24:20 pm »
I am thinking of buying an above ground pool, any good forums out there or advice from the dealers on here that sell above ground pools.

Hope this is okay to ask here.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

Pool question
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:24:20 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Pool question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:35:36 pm »
Some of the top brands are Doughboy, Cornelius, Esther Williams, and Vogue.  If you Google them, I'm sure you'll find your dealer.  

Go for a beaded liner instead of one that drapes over the wall.  It looks a lot better.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:27:07 pm »
Rayman,

I'm not sure if this is an option for you but,  we started out looking for an above ground pool also.  We looked at 24' to 27' round pools and we had thought we wanted to sink it into the ground 2' ( they most you can do without affecting your warranty).  Anyhow, by the time you factor in the cost of the pool, deck and landscaping around it, we ended up with a 24' octagonal inground sport pool.  It's great! its only 5' deep so you can easily keep a couple of your favorite beverages on each side and walk to either one.  We don't have kids so diving boards and slides were not a big deal.  All told with all the goodies including heater and solar blanket and reel was about 12,000  When you think about it its alot cheaper per square foot then a hot tub ;D  You should have a member of the Independent Pool Group near you so price should be similar

Good luck looking around
Bullfrog 451

Rayman

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:37:52 pm »
Rayman,

I'm not sure if this is an option for you but,  we started out looking for an above ground pool also.  We looked at 24' to 27' round pools and we had thought we wanted to sink it into the ground 2' ( they most you can do without affecting your warranty).  Anyhow, by the time you factor in the cost of the pool, deck and landscaping around it, we ended up with a 24' octagonal inground sport pool.  It's great! its only 5' deep so you can easily keep a couple of your favorite beverages on each side and walk to either one.  We don't have kids so diving boards and slides were not a big deal.  All told with all the goodies including heater and solar blanket and reel was about 12,000  When you think about it its alot cheaper per square foot then a hot tub ;D  You should have a member of the Independent Pool Group near you so price should be similar

Good luck looking around

Thanks for the info, I checked IPG, none in the GTA (greater Toronto area), but some up north.  I have a really small yard with mostly concrete and the Hot tub of course.  I will only be able to fit a 15' round so I guess my choices will be limited.

Ray

Pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:13 pm »
Rayman, there should be a SIMA dealer near you in southern On
simagroup.ca

pioneer pools have 13 stores in southern On

Foxxpools Canada have a bunch of dealers in southern On

Where abouts are you I deal with quite a few place in the T.O area and would be happy to refer a good place.

You will probably look at a resin  equiped pool the structure is better plus no worries if you add a salt generator      PM Me with any questions

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »
I own a Vogue pool and it's a really nice pool, BTW, it's a Canadian company - don't know if that helps in pricing. I bought a 24' round and it serves the purpose. It's wet and refreshing when it's hot out. I'm going into my 6th season with it and so far no signs of rust or anything major. My kids are 16 and 11 so I would imagine if I get another 5 years out of it, then it served us well.

Around here they have so many codes you have to follow in order to be able to put a pool up that an inground would have been too expensive for us.

Before you undertake any pool project really look at the area that you want to put it in. I had to get additional excavation for mine as I knew my backyard sloped but it sloped more than I expected (14" in 30'). The other thing is about sinking a pool into the ground - the acids from the dirt apparently can eat away the metal, my installers cautioned me about that.

For a pool site go to poolforum.com. I learned a lot from them. They are a little unconventional but they do produce great results.

I would like to recommend that for a filter buy a Diatomaceos Earth (DE) filter - you'l be amazed at the filtering it does.

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:23:53 pm »
I would like to recommend that for a filter buy a Diatomaceos Earth (DE) filter - you'l be amazed at the filtering it does.

Strange little side note,

We have American friends that have DE filters and others have cartridge filters but up here they are almost unheard of.  Not that they aren't available, they are just not common.  90 % of the pool filters on the market are sand
Bullfrog 451

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:28:19 pm »
I use a cartridge filter for my pool.  I clean it once a year at the end of the season (cold weather area).  It filters very well.  Extremely simple.

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:34 am »

Strange little side note,

We have American friends that have DE filters and others have cartridge filters but up here they are almost unheard of.  Not that they aren't available, they are just not common.  90 % of the pool filters on the market are sand

The reason behind that is sand filters are more than half the price of the other two and the marketing just hasnt been there.

RUBADUBDUB

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 11:14:51 am »
RAYMAN,

Check out Pioneer Family Pools. There is a Location in Brampton. I know the one in Kitchener is EXCELLENT to deal with, I image the one in Brampton would be as well. There are basically two types Steel, and extruded Aluminum if memory serves me. Aluminum is more money but lasts alot longer. www.pioneerfamilypools.ca

Hope that helps.

Rob.

96SC

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 11:47:08 am »
We had about a 12' above ground pool several years ago with a cartridge filter (the lone filter was about 12"x5").  It was impossible to keep clear.  About one day after we'd change the water it was cloudy again.  I don't remember what the chem readings were when we tested, I only remember taking the thing down and giving it to a church to auction off.

Hope you have a better experience.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 12:47:56 pm »
I have a 21' Esther Williams Pool ( 1 year old). It replaced an old NAMCO specail that suprising lasted about 15 years.   Info on the internet about AGP is sparse. But if I can help with my limited personal expereince I will.

I have a sand filter and it works well. My Brother in Law swears by the DE and it's my understanding the DE will filter better, but be slighty more work to keep clean (not much work though, so it's marginal).

I went with the ESther Williams AGP as it is my understanding that extruded aluminum is the best choice for pools, (as far as structucal integrity) followed by zinc coated steel and finally vinly.  Of curse the steel guys with tell you other wise, and I bet the vonly will also chime in.

Aluminum is also the most exspesive. Vinaly the cheapest.

I am told  you get the most bang for your buck sizewise with a round pool.

Square ABG pools are considered to be poor choices as the corners can take a lot of strain and fail.

Ovals are nice, but usually cost significantly more,  and can take twice as long to install.  (an underthe pool strapping system is best, but costly).

don't go cheap on the liner (the reason I chose Esther Williams, they have one of the best liners out there).

Have it proffestionaly installed.

That's about all I can think if right now.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:50:05 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Rayman

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:48:49 pm »
Thanks to everyone, great advice.

Ray

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:48:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42