What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Refill question  (Read 2979 times)

Orthofunk

Refill question
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:47:25 pm »
I just drained, cleaned, and filled my tub with COLD water... 2005 Maxxus.

The filter looked terrible... it's been over a year since replacing, so I ordered a new one which won't get here until next week.

Should I put chemicals in the water?
Should I turn on the power, and heat the pool?
Should I put the old nasty filter in... and risk contamination?
Can I run the spa without a filter for a few days?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Refill question
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:47:25 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Refill question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:51:18 pm »
I wouldnt put it back in, but you can heat the unit, I would hold off on chemicals for the first few days, only sanitizer.  I dont think you should try and balance the water for a couple of days, regardless of a filter or not though.  Thats just me.

I dont belive that there is any consequences of not having the filter in while running, I would refrain from using the tub though until the filter arrives. or perhaps, put a scum bug floating in the water to help.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 04:03:59 pm »
I dont belive that there is any consequences of not having the filter in while running

There are definetly consequences to running the tub w/o filters in. When the filters are out there is nothing to stop large particles from getting sucked into the plumbing. This is why it's [glow]HIGHLY[/glow] reccommended to turn the power off to the tub when you take the filters out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 04:39:56 pm by WHY_NOT »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 04:06:07 pm »
Should I put the old nasty filter in... and risk contamination?
I wouldn't.

Should I put chemicals in the water?
No, b/c the chemicals need to be circulated with all the jets on and you can't circulate until you get your new filter.

Should I turn on the power, and heat the pool?
Yes, but make sure you turn the programmable filter cycles off until you put your new filter in.

Can I run the spa without a filter for a few days?
I guess you could theoretically but it's highly disfavored.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:34:39 pm by WHY_NOT »

Spiderman

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:58:59 pm »

There are definetly consequences to running the tub w/o filters in. When the filters are out there is nothing to stop large particles from getting sucked into the plumbing. This is why it's [glow]HIGHLY[/glow] reccommended to turn the power off to the tub when you take the filters out.

What about tubs w/o 100% filtration??  I think Term had a nice pic or two of all the good stuff that gets bypassed  ;D  Maybe he'll post it again, it really is some nice artwork.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

anne

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 02:09:36 pm »
I agree that you should not run the tub for any length of time without a filter, but just because your old filter LOOKS nasty, is it really that bad to use it till the new one arrives?  I'd sanitize the heck out of it, rinse it as well as possible, and use it till you have a new one. It may be stained, and starting to not function well, but if you clean it really well, it does not seem likely that it'll cause a problem. It is either that, or not run the tub till the new one comes.......I'd be taking my chances!!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 02:58:27 pm »

What about tubs w/o 100% filtration??  I think Term had a nice pic or two of all the good stuff that gets bypassed  ;D  Maybe he'll post it again, it really is some nice artwork.

Those of us who enjoy the therapy and flexibility of spas with more than 2 therapy motors would never make a big deal of the limitations inherent in 100% filtration spas.  We realize that both keep water sparkling clean with proper maintenance.  To suggest otherwise is just plain propaganda marketing.  8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 03:03:57 pm »
Maybe you should order and extra filter and put it in the closet, so there's no lag time next year?
07 Caldera Geneva

Orthofunk

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:26:48 am »
Maybe you should order and extra filter and put it in the closet, so there's no lag time next year?

That's what I did... thanks

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 10:30:13 am »

That's what I did... thanks

Where the hell have you been Ortho? Just a few weeks ago someone was talking about outdoor theaters and I had to hunt photo's of you set up down out on the internet.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Orthofunk

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 09:31:37 pm »

Where the hell have you been Ortho? Just a few weeks ago someone was talking about outdoor theaters and I had to hunt photo's of you set up down out on the internet.  :)

I've still been around... just lurking mostly.
Although I have noticed a decline in my WTBHT visits since Term stopped posting his pics of the day!!!

For anyone looking for a good deal on 2005 Maxxus filters, the best deal I found was $120.95 for 2... free shipping:  
http://www.spadepot.com/warehouse/filters/fil-bybrand2.asp?spa_name=Sundance

If anyone knows of a better deal, let me know!!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 09:33:05 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:34:16 pm by WHY_NOT »

Orthofunk

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:59 pm »
http://www.spadepot.com/warehouse/filters/fil-bybrand2.asp?spa_name=Sundance

What's the status of your tub?

I went ahead and put some chemicals in and turned it on without the filter.
I have not... and will not, open the tub until the filter gets here.

Nights have gotten pretty cold here this week, and I didn't want to risk freezing.

If it doesn't get here by the weekend, I might put the old filter in anyway.  We are having houseguests for the weekend... who are looking forward to some tubbing!

I know it says you are not supposed to clean the Microclean II filters, but if I have to use it for the weekend, is there something I can do?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42