What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water in cover?  (Read 7646 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Water in cover?
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:58:31 am »
Yesterday I opened my cover to get some water off of the top (Since the tub was new, I usually get a shallow puddle on top - service guys said it was OK).  While it was hanging there on the cover lift, I noticed that there was a stream of water coming from one of the small round openings in the underside. (I think they are vents to let air in/out)  It was a pretty strong stream of water (not a dribble) that lasted for 30-45 secs or so as the water drained.  Maybe I got a quart or less of water out before it stopped...  

Is is normal to get water built up inside the cover and drain from these holes? I was away for the holiday so it was a good 5 days since I had last opened it and it was cold out, so I don't know if it could have been evap from the tub that just condensed inside the cover...  Any thoughts??

Hot Tub Forum

Water in cover?
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:58:31 am »

neocacher

Re: Water in cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 10:36:31 am »
Yes it is normal, and worse yet, it is unavoidable.  It is caused by the steam from the tub evaporating, getting into the air holes, and then condensing again, just like you thought.

Several years ago, I had a tub that i did not use or open the cover for for over 6-12 months yet i was keeping it  heated. There was so much water inside the cover that the plastic had stretched and was sagging a good 6-8 inches and was actually IN the water.  

There must have been 5-10 gallons that drained out. The cover was so heavy I could barely lift it.  Granted this was an extreme situation.

The cover remained permanently stretched, and the foam was so waterlogged that I had to replace it.  I think the new foam inserts may be better.

Lesson learned. You need to open the cover and drain any trapped water every so often if you are not using your tub.

Neo

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 10:41:15 am by neocacher »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:07:40 am »
I have a spa blanket that I bought from Doc, it really helps to keep the water from collecting inside of the cover. I also feel that it adds insulating value..My friend just got one because his cover became so water logged that it caved in and he had to replace it...He agrees that the blanket is protecting his new cover. Check the spa blankets out on Doc's site.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

mxw128

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 12:40:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  I guess that's the longest I've left the cover closed when it was this cold outside..

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 01:01:12 am »
If your cover holds puddles of water on it, call the dealer and tell 'em you want the foam replaced under warranty. We do it.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:17:17 am »
If your cover holds puddles of water on it, call the dealer and tell 'em you want the foam replaced under warranty. We do it.

Should all the water run off the cover? I believe mine collects some water on the top. Is this a problem?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 03:19:46 pm »
Gombo, no it's not a problem. But if the cover's under two years old, the foam is warrantiable. If you have a hotspring's lifter attached to it, Watkins pays the dealer to replace the foam. You can also flip the foam, hence bowed the other way.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 04:50:12 pm »
So are we talking about water ON the top of the cover?  Because my cover also seems to collect water in just 2 spots (slight indents in the cover). I thought the original post was about water collecting into the cover from the inside of the tub.

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 12:22:47 pm »
Bonibelle, the original post referenced water on top of the cover as well. I was probably meandering.........I do that.

mxw128

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 11:49:47 pm »
Pool-boy:  Thanks for the info, I'll give a call this week.  The cover is less than 2 year old and I do have the dealer installed HS lifter. The dealer has been pretty good so far, so I hope there will be no hassles....  Here are some pics of the water issue I have:

Gomboman:  How does yours compare?  I think you have a Vanguard too.. right?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:52:01 pm by mxw128 »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:21:02 am »
I want to know if that is an issue...because my cover is doing the same thing, in the same place. This morning it is a puddle of ice.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 08:43:16 am »
I am a Vanguard owner also--SAME thing on mine.  One puddle on each side of the cover, so 2 puddles total.

Looks exactly like mxw128's photos.
2005 HS Vanguard

mxw128

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 08:51:38 am »
Let's hear from some  of the dealers out there... is the water on top of the cover normal or should it be corrected?  Thanks for the input!!

Bama

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 03:58:13 pm »
I have a water puddle on top of my spa, as well.  I told my dealer, but they said with these large spas it's not uncommon.  My spa...LA Spa Paradise H-2 is a large spa with a 3-piece cover.  It puddles on the center segment.  Is this really normal for large spas?  Is there anything I should do to correct it?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 01:07:38 am »
How about from a manufacturer ?  ::)

It may be normal, it may not. The top vinyl is sewn to the side vinyl. Inside there's a little "flap" of vinyl where it's sewn together. If the flap winds up hanging down, on the side, normally there's no puddling. If the flap is on the top of the vinyl it causes a little ridge, which, combined with water tension, will allow for a slight puddle.

So, some questions........

If you slide your hand down the top of the cover, do you feel a little ridge (if yes, puddle is normal)?

Are the corners of the cover in contact with the spa? If not, and the center of the cover is in contact, your foam is warped, or someone sat on the cover.

Could someone have sat on the cover?

Is the spa not level and the puddle on the high side?

Was the puddle there from the beginning or did it develop over time? And, is it getting bigger?

You could try removing the foam and flipping it over.

Now, as for 3 piece covers. They're AWFULL. The center piece is FLAT and water will ALWAYS puddle on that section. I hate 3 piece covers and will ONLY make them if someone insists. And even then, I wont warrant the center piece. I much prefer our 4 piece cover that's completely tapered from the center, 6" to 2".

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 09:58:59 am by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 01:07:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42