What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can treating a spa be easy?  (Read 10075 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Can treating a spa be easy?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 11:39:01 am »
I didn't use a calculator, but do the math.  I'm not saying you need to change what is working for you, but I don't think you are getting your tub to 5ppm with the doses you are talking about.  

What forumla do you use?  
Are you taking into consideration the concetration of the chlrone product?

The other day, after new years, I had 5 folks in my tub for 45 minutes.  I added 1 tablespoon of dichlor (or 6 "1.2" teaspoons and ran the jets for 40 mintues. My chlorine level an hour later was over 5ppm.)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:42:58 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 11:39:01 am »

Reese

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 12:21:10 pm »
What forumla do you use?  Are you taking into consideration the concetration of the chlrone product?  The other day, after new years, I had 5 folks in my tub for 45 minutes.  I added 1 tablespoon of dichlor (or 6 "1.2" teaspoons and ran the jets for 40 mintues. My chlorine level an hour later was over 5ppm.)
Yes, my estimate took into account available chlorine.  I just extrapolated based on my 525 gal tub.  I would think that in order to respond "No Way!" you'd be able to figure this out for yourself ;), but the formula would be: 1 million times(ounces of dichlor times %available chlorine) divided by ounces of water in the tub.

BTW your post party dose was about 6 ppm (again, assuming my math is correct).

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 12:29:48 pm »
 I replied "No way" becasue for 2 years I've been doing this, my test strips have been consistent, and my water just fine.

I'll triple check everything tonight and ensure my scoop is indeed 1/2 oz.

And if I have time, after the pub tonight, I'll dose and measure the tub.  I'll add 1/2 oz and see, and add 1 tbl and see.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:34:03 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 12:53:58 pm »
I'll triple check everything tonight and ensure my scoop is indeed 1/2 oz. And if I have time, after the pub tonight, I'll dose and measure the tub.  I'll add 1/2 oz and see, and add 1 tbl and see.
1/2 oz is 1 Tbl.;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 12:59:52 pm »
ooops.  Getting my measurements mixed.

All my dichlor measurments are 1/2 teaspoons. Disregard any 0z. (I'm doing ten things at once here).
07 Caldera Geneva

sz22

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »
Are you still having problems with your ph level?  Ever check your Alkalinity level?  Your alkalinity is the one that will keep you ph in check for the most part.   The higher your alkalinity is to 150 the harder it will be for your ph to fluctuate.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 02:05:34 am »

I do that about once a month so i dont
have to fool with it!

These people that seem proud they haven't changed their water
in 9 months or a year....lol......I don't get it!

I wouldn't be proud of that.....lol.....2EachHisOwn!

That's an advantage you have living in Texas. Not everyone is as fortunate and has to plan their refills according to the weather.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:07:56 am by WHY_NOT »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 08:56:15 am »
Well I double checked everything this a.m and  I was surprised to find out that the old blue scoop I've been using since I had my POS nordic is....1 teaspoon.  I had always thought it was 1/2. Huh.  So, Reese was right. All this time I thought I was doseing  .5 to 1 teaspoons of dichlor, I was actually doesing  1- 2 teaspoons.

I checked the tub using leisure time's test strips and the chlorine did not register (no color change, indicating a level of less than 1 ppm, PH. ALK and CA all good.  :)

I added I scoop (1 teaspoon) of Dichlor, ran the jets and checked the levels 5 mintues later: 2 ppm. Eh. Marginaly acceptable.

I added another scoop (1 teaspoon, for a total of 2) ran the jets and the checked the levels 5 mintues later: The test strips indicated a level over 5ppm  but not 10.  

So my dosing of 1-2 scoops has been working great for me, but I have been incorrectly reporting the actual amount.  

Thanks Reese.  :)

07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 10:13:54 am »
... So, Reese was right.  All this time I thought I was doseing  .5 to 1 teaspoons of dichlor, I was actually doesing  1- 2 teaspoons... So my dosing of 1-2 scoops has been working great for me, but I have been incorrectly reporting the actual amount. Thanks Reese.  :)
Now, if I could just get you to understand ozone.... ;) ::)

Seriously though, I'm glad we found this little discrepancy -- not because it makes any difference in your situation... but because you are very good about sharing your routine with new owners, and it will help them to know the actual amounts.  Last week we had two threads where people were having problems with their tubs while using <1 tsp doses, and another where a member told someone that a 5ppm dose was "way too much", and suggested 1/2 tsp in a tub your size.  At times, it seems that people are focused too much on using micro amounts of sanitizer, when an extra 1/2 - 1 tsp would provide much more room for error/unanticipated challenges to the system, like pH >7.5 or a tough bug.  As WSD so eloquently states "Spare the dichlor, and spoil the hot tub".

p.s.  As long as we are getting precise, are you using level or rounded measurements?  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 10:36:56 am »
Now, if I could just get you to understand ozone.... ;) ::)

Seriously though, I'm glad we found this little discrepancy -- not because it makes any difference in your situation... but because you are very good about sharing your routine with new owners, and it will help them to know the actual amounts.  Last week we had two threads where people were having problems with their tubs while using <1 tsp doses, and another where a member told someone that a 5ppm dose was "way too much", and suggested 1/2 tsp in a tub your size.  At times, it seems that people are focused too much on using micro amounts of sanitizer, when an extra 1/2 - 1 tsp would provide much more room for error/unanticipated challenges to the system, like pH >7.5 or a tough bug.  As WSD so eloquently states "Spare the dichlor, and spoil the hot tub".

p.s.  As long as we are getting precise, are you using level or rounded measurements?  

I agree that in a messge forum all advice is to be taken with a grain of salt.  While my amounts were incorrect, I think you'll find that in all cases, testing the water after doesing is always stated. If itakes 1/2 or 10, onces, pounds or hammerfors, I think it's a consistent message that with dichlor levels 3-5 ppm are agreeded to be desirable.

As far as my levels, no they were not exact. They were rounded.

What is it that you want me to understand about ozone?
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 11:11:23 am »
As far as my levels, no they were not exact. They were rounded.

What is it that you want me to understand about ozone?
I asked about the measurement because 2 level tsp should only be 4ppm in your tub.  The extra material in the "heaping" portion explains your test results of "over 5".

As far as ozone, let's let that dog sleep for awhile in the new year. :)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 02:18:24 pm »
If itakes 1/2 or 10, onces, pounds or hammerfors, I think it's a consistent message that with dichlor levels 3-5 ppm are agreeded to be desirable.

And if I asked "what's a hammerfor?" You'd say "to pound in nails", right?  :D kinda like a henweigh.
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 02:24:23 pm »

And if I asked "what's a hammerfor?" You'd say "to pound in nails", right?  :D kinda like a henweigh.

At least you picked up on it tat.

You get a cookie.  :)

A Henway? Oh, about 4lbs.

07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 08:37:56 pm »
 ;D man, I feel smart now....pathetic, isn't it?  :P
RIP C-Rod

bluesman

• '07 Marquis Reward
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 09:03:04 pm »
If I fill a 450 gallon tub with tap water. What would one suggest I add to the tub get the 3 to 5ppm level of chlorine in the water? In precise measurements.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 09:03:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42